Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

We can win the Natty this year

5,362 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by 98PercenterAg
Jimbos Plaque
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Maybe I'm just amped from The Pulse but breaking down our schedule I just don't see any losses - that means we make CFP right?
The Dirty Sock
Nope. Too many top 10 teams ahead of us with easier paths
Win At Life
AG
It's not impossible if we win out, but we would need numerous teams to stumble just the right way for that to happen.
texag_89
We would need a LOT of help, but there has not been this crazy of a year since '07 with a 2 loss l$u making it into the BCS game on the last weekend of play with more than 1 upset, so what the heck!!

To the playoffs!!!

Btho mizzu!

jphelmet
AG
Win out and we have a 35% to make the playoffs. It's not likely but not impossible.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2021-college-football-predictions/
AgEng06
AG
jphelmet said:

Win out and we have a 35% to make the playoffs. It's not likely but not impossible.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2021-college-football-predictions/

That's a lot higher than I expected.

What did that say our odds were at the end of last season?
Little Rock Ag
AG
There's no way we will win it all this season. ZERO CHANCE.

(I said the same thing about us winning the Bama game, so maybe I have reverse jinxed us?)
AgPediRPh
AG
Is that you, Maroon Dawn?
Hey Nav
AG
The Ags have L's versus Arkansas and Mississippi State.

Not too realistic.

A great season - yes, of course. But a great bowl win is probably the top of the ceiling this year. And... that would be awesome.
RAMF90
AG
Miss St. baby!!!
carl spacklers hat
User name checks out
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
SilverTongueDevil
There are currently 5 Big 10 teams in the top 10. That will change as many of them will start beating each other. Cincninatti likely to go undefeated. We could win out and they might still put UGA in ahead of us. Assuming we win the next 2 we will probably be in the top 15. Beat Ole Miss on the road and we will get a really good boost. If we run the table that Miss St. loss is going to sting for a long time. Losing to LSU in 2012 was hard but they were really good. Miss St. is probably 6-6 at best with their remaining schedule.
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser. Vince Lombardi
DimebagsGhost
AG
Select us to win out and also Bama to win out a be our percentage is not what you say. Both could be likely
jrbaggie
Let's beat Missouri.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Not impossible. The ACC will cannibalize itself. Need ND and BYU to pick up another loss each. Also need cincy, smu, and San Diego state to pick up a loss.

The good news is that smu and cincy play each other and then probably rematch in the ccg.

A lot must go right for us to run the table.
Done7
2 loss SEC champ Aggies will get in over undefeated SMU. That is poop slap guaranteed.
TAMUallen
AG
Let's hope but otherwise lol

I don't think we win out. I don't think all the chips fall if we did.

I think we were amped up and ready to ball against what we thought were the best.

Our dropping 8 killed us previous week so that's not a player thing and we don't know if our coaches will bring it like they did with Alabama
GIF Reactor
AG
What a freaking roller-coaster this board is...
Ag Tag
jrbaggie said:

Let's beat Missouri.
Why?
Alpha Texan
AG
Win At Life said:

It's not impossible if we win out, but we would need numerous teams to stumble just the right way for that to happen.
The simplest way to the playoff is to win out and beat UGA in the SECCG after Bama loses to Auburn.

Somehow, I don't have much hope.

All I care about is we that the team focuses on us. We can win every game. Let's do it and let the chips fall where they will. I'll be super content with a cotton bowl or something NY6 like that.
PneumAg
It's not likely. Things we have going in our favor are Clemson is bad, Ohio State and Oregon have already lost, and we have the best win in the country.

Our problem is the SEC. Assuming we win out, Bama needs to lose another division game for us to even make the SEC championship, and then we have to contend with Georgia. If we lose to Georgia, we are not getting in as a 3 loss team. If we don't make the SEC championship, it's probably because Alabama won out and made it. If they beat Georgia, they're getting in and so is Georgia. If they lose to Georgia, they'd get in with two losses before we would.

The only way we get in is we win out, make the SEC championship, and beat Georgia.
alamogeorge
AG
Hey Nav said:

Not too realistic.

A great season - yes, of course. But a great bowl win is probably the top of the ceiling this year. And... that would be awesome.

Probably, but 30 for 30's and SEC Storied's aren't based off of probablies.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
camelmenthol
Imagine how much better our chances could have been without losing to State

We need all kinds of help and of course we have to hold up our end which isn't exactly a sure thing
yell_on_6th st
AG
PneumAg said:

It's not likely. Things we have going in our favor are Clemson is bad, Ohio State and Oregon have already lost, and we have the best win in the country.

Our problem is the SEC. Assuming we win out, Bama needs to lose another division game for us to even make the SEC championship, and then we have to contend with Georgia. If we lose to Georgia, we are not getting in as a 3 loss team. If we don't make the SEC championship, it's probably because Alabama won out and made it. If they beat Georgia, they're getting in and so is Georgia. If they lose to Georgia, they'd get in with two losses before we would.

The only way we get in is we win out, make the SEC championship, and beat Georgia.

Yeah, let's do that! I got a ticket to cash...
N8TeK
If u somehow win the west then win the sec championship I don't see how ur not in the playoffs
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
For us to make the College Football Playoffs, several things will need to happen.
1. We would need to win out.
2. Also, we will need Alabama to beat Arkansas and lose one game, The most likely team to hand Alabama a second loss is Auburn in the Iron Bowl. If we had beaten Mississippi State at Kyle Field, we would just need to win out to win the SEC West.
3. Even if we win the SEC West, we would have to beat 12-0 Georgia in the SEC Championship Game.
4. Even if we somehow become 11-2 SEC Champions, we would need 2 of the 4 other Power 5 conference champions to lose 2 games each and Cincinnati to lose 1 game.

Realistically, I am predicting a 9-3 regular season with a loss at Ole Miss. Our toughest remaining game is the road game at Ole Miss on 11/13, and that is the only game we are not favored to win. We will probably need to score a ton of points and clamp down in the red zone to beat Ole Miss. I think we can beat Ole Miss, but I won't be surprised if we lose to them. That game will probably determine 2nd place in the SEC West and even a NY6 bowl appearance.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
SilverTongueDevil said:

There are currently 5 Big 10 teams in the top 10. That will change as many of them will start beating each other. Cincninatti likely to go undefeated. We could win out and they might still put UGA in ahead of us. Assuming we win the next 2 we will probably be in the top 15. Beat Ole Miss on the road and we will get a really good boost. If we run the table that Miss St. loss is going to sting for a long time. Losing to LSU in 2012 was hard but they were really good. Miss St. is probably 6-6 at best with their remaining schedule.
Yeah, I agree with you. That home loss to Mississippi State will sting because if we had beaten them, we would just need to win out to win the SEC West. Mississippi State has tough games against Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas, Auburn, and Ole Miss remaining. Their home games against Kentucky and Ole Miss are the most winnable among those five games and will determine if they finish between 5-7 to 7-5.
Hey Nav
AG
A week ago, pretty much everyone thought the Ags would be 3-3. Many were saying we could not even qualify for a bowl game. (Do you read TexAgs).

Now we have reasonable expectations of a great run - 1 loss or maybe none. Interesting to see how the season plays out.

BTHoutta Missouri.
Azariah
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

For us to make the College Football Playoffs, several things will need to happen.
1. We would need to win out.
2. Also, we will need Alabama to beat Arkansas and lose one game, The most likely team to hand Alabama a second loss is Auburn in the Iron Bowl. If we had beaten Mississippi State at Kyle Field, we would just need to win out to win the SEC West.
3. Even if we win the SEC West, we would have to beat 12-0 Georgia in the SEC Championship Game.
4. Even if we somehow become 11-2 SEC Champions, we would need 2 of the 4 other Power 5 conference champions to lose 2 games each and Cincinnati to lose 1 game.

Realistically, I am predicting a 9-3 regular season with a loss at Ole Miss. Our toughest remaining game is the road game at Ole Miss on 11/13, and that is the only game we are not favored to win. We will probably need to score a ton of points and clamp down in the red zone to beat Ole Miss. I think we can beat Ole Miss, but I won't be surprised if we lose to them. That game will probably determine 2nd place in the SEC West and even a NY6 bowl appearance.

You think there is any chance the winner of the SEC is getting left out of the playoffs?
SigAg6
AG
No
Divining Rod
we should have one goal:

Win the SEC Championship

Midnight Yale
AG
Last week, many here on TexAgs.com thought we should fire Jimbo and bench Calzada for Blake Bost (I may or may not have been in that second camp). Now, we're openly exploring our CFP odds. This is the proverbial baseball player who loses track of the baseball because he's focused on making the double play before he's made the catch.

Let's focus on winning from week to week, and having a good time rooting for the Ags. Worry about where the chips fall, when the chips fall.
ClearlyJustSomeAg
AG
CalzadasCalzones said:

Last week, many here on TexAgs.com thought we should fire Jimbo and bench Calzada for Blake Bost (I may or may not have been in that second camp). Now, we're openly exploring our CFP odds. This is the proverbial baseball player who loses track of the baseball because he's focused on making the double play before he's made the catch.

Let's focus on winning from week to week, and having a good time rooting for the Ags. Worry about where the chips fall, when the chips fall.

Agreed, let's put together 2 quality games at least before we talk major post-season games. I'm just glad to have a reason to enjoy the season again.
TX_Aggie37
AG
It would require too many lucky bounces plus being the first 2-loss team being let in (2 bad losses at that).

To me the ceiling is win out and finish the regular season in the top 15, then win a bowl game and be in the top 10 of the final poll. That would be a huge success and a great coaching job by the staff given what we thought we were gonna be after King went down along with all the other injuries and personnel shuffling up front.
The Debt
Hey Nav said:

Not too realistic.

I dont think you realize how much good will beating bama with a QB2 affords us.

Losing to ark/msst with a qb2 adjusting to conference play, is excusable. Also remember it's better to lose early in the season than later.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.