Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Bill O'Brien offense vs our defense

2,958 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by My Name Is Judge
Meanmachine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For everyone who thinks Bama is unstoppable and will hang 50 on us just look who the play caller is now. They do not have the downfield passing game they have had the past few years. They run the ball well and throw it short and give the qb quick reads. They are real good athletes but this isn't a scheme that is real complex. We will be the best defense they have faced and on the road. If we don't beat ourself with turnovers it will be a lot closer than most people think. Not sure we can score more than 20 so it might not matter. Our d line can keep this game close.
BigOil
AG
More short passes? Great.
AggieArchitect04
AG
Meanmachine said:

They do not have the downfield passing game they have had the past few years. They run the ball well and throw it short and give the qb quick reads. They are real good athletes but this isn't a scheme that is real complex.

We literally just lose to a team with inferior talent and coaching than Alabama and got whipped up and down the field on quick reads, short passes.
Meanmachine
AG
Not the air raid, we played MState exactly like LSU did but they tackled better in space than we did. We will not play off coverage against Bama. We will be in press man. Playing with 4 dlineman takes away passing lanes. We didn't play to our strength last week. Our best players are def tackles. Because of injuries we were playing our 4 th and 5 th corners every play. Playing better talent this week but our defense is built for this type of offense.
Viper16
AG
BigOil said:

More short passes? Great.
Don't worry, they will work in a few long passes just to mix it up.

Gonna be a long night for the secondary.
#FJB

Ultra-MAGA Cultist :-))

Lex Talionis Trump 2024
Aglaw97
AG
AggieArchitect04 said:

Meanmachine said:

They do not have the downfield passing game they have had the past few years. They run the ball well and throw it short and give the qb quick reads. They are real good athletes but this isn't a scheme that is real complex.

We literally just lose to a team with inferior talent and coaching than Alabama and got whipped up and down the field on quick reads, short passes.

Inferior coaching? You clearly aren't a Texans fan. Leach runs circles around O'Brien. Deshaun Watson extended his career 3 seasons too long.
AggieTrainer
Our defense will probably be on the field for 80+ plays, and I guarantee you that Alabama will be taking advantage of every mistake we make on every snap. And don't think they'll lose a step with their backup RB either. If we still don't have a pass rush, this one will probably get ugly.
merch
We have consecutive losses to sub par teams with inferior talent and still some want to convince themselves this will be close or we could win. Good stuff. A little sanity check maybe?

Side note, who cares if it is close. You win or you lose.

Hard to see us even scoring 10 points.
DrewD
AG
> they run the ball well
bama by 80
offenseguru
AG
Let's say we play them close on D to start. How many 3 and outs by our offense can our thin depth of competitive players on D withstand? Cause there will be a lot of those. We may get like 3 first downs per half.
A New Hope
Bryce young is amazing. We have zero chance of beating them or even keeping it close.
FriskyGardenGnome
AG
Bama has an active 31 game streak of scoring 30+ points.

ETA: you got one thing right, "Not sure we can score more than 20 so it might not matter."
northeastag
AG
IMHO, one of two things will happen. We will get trucked right away, like Ole Miss, and Bama will coast in the second half. Or we will come out fired up, stay close for a couple quarters, and Bama will pull away at the end. My guess is that the guys come out fired up, play over their heads for a while, and we lose a lot closer of a game than most people think. After all, if Bama coaches and team have watched any game tape of us, they will probably come in way overconfident.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
We have lost consecutive winnable games against teams with inferior talent. We scored just 42 combined points in 3 games against Power 5 teams. By contrast, Alabama has scored 44, 31, and 42 against Miami, Florida, and Ole Miss. Yet, some still believe that our defense will keep the game close. Our defense might help keep the game close for a quarter or so, but that won't be sustainable for 70+ plays. I can see us holding Alabama to under 40 points, but it won't matter because we probably won't score more than 14 points. I won't be surprised if Alabama hands us our largest margin of defeat at Kyle Field. I believe that margin is currently 37 points when Texas crushed us 49-12 in 1969.
levypantsEOY
I agree with OP- Bama will not roll over our defense, at least for the first half. The problem we have is a complete inability to score points/ maintain long drives. This is how I believe the game will go:
Q1: Bama 7, A&M 0
Q2: Bama 14, A&M 6
Q3: Bama 24, A&M 6
Q4: Bama 34, A&M 13 - assume that we score a late TD against 2nd string D.
waltonloads11
AG
levypantsEOY said:

I agree with OP- Bama will not roll over our defense, at least for the first half. The problem we have is a complete inability to score points/ maintain long drives. This is how I believe the game will go:
Q1: Bama 7, A&M 0
Q2: Bama 14, A&M 6
Q3: Bama 24, A&M 6
Q4: Bama 34, A&M 13 - assume that we score a late TD against 2nd string D.
Well... Our defense usually starts off poor and gets better as the game goes on. So I can see us being down 14-0 pretty fast and depending on how well our team responds, it will get ugly or stay competitive until the fourth quarter from there.
rootube
AG
Saban should put O'Brian in charge for one year and let him trade away all the five stars for conditional picks and a sack of beans. Then he can fire him and prove beyond a shadow of doubt that he is the best coach of all time
Ulrich
I think the defense will do reasonably well, but we might not score until garbage time.
nu awlins ag
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

We have lost consecutive winnable games against teams with inferior talent. We scored just 42 combined points in 3 games against Power 5 teams. By contrast, Alabama has scored 44, 31, and 42 against Miami, Florida, and Ole Miss. Yet, some still believe that our defense will keep the game close. Our defense might help keep the game close for a quarter or so, but that won't be sustainable for 70+ plays. I can see us holding Alabama to under 40 points, but it won't matter because we probably won't score more than 14 points. I won't be surprised if Alabama hands us our largest margin of defeat at Kyle Field. I believe that margin is currently 37 points when Texas crushed us 49-12 in 1969.

Sorry, still stuck on your first sentence……people should read it several times before making any prediction for this game in A&M's favor. How many times have the Aggies lost to teams with inferior talent? I'll tell you, I can't count that high.
BadAggie
AG
So, we could lose 27-3 instead of 49-0.

Carmine Scarpacio
O'Brien is a really good offensive coach.

He is a terrible GM and mediocre NFL coach.
agracer
AG
Meanmachine said:

For everyone who thinks Bama is unstoppable and will hang 50 on us just look who the play caller is now. They do not have the downfield passing game they have had the past few years. They run the ball well and throw it short and give the qb quick reads. They are real good athletes but this isn't a scheme that is real complex. We will be the best defense they have faced and on the road. If we don't beat ourself with turnovers it will be a lot closer than most people think. Not sure we can score more than 20 so it might not matter. Our d line can keep this game close.
. That down field passing game burned the hell out of us on 5 yard slants that turned into 40+ yard plays last year…
90ags
It's still Saban's offensive system. There's no way Saban keeps continuity year in and year out with so much turnover in the coaching staff AND not keep it the same.

Where Bama is good is they will tailor the plays/routes/schemes to their personnel and simply Saban demands execution perfection (every down, every series, every quarter, every game....regardless of the opponent).

For all other teams, it's lip service and talk as cannot keep up with Bama's (ie, Saban's) consistency.
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
Meanmachine
AG
Saban is a defensive minded head coach that works directly with the defensive backs. He is the CEO of bama football so he knows what they are doing but he is not putting the game plan together. When you change coordinators things change and this version of bama offense is not the same as Lane Kiffin or Sark. This is the Bill O'Brien version and in terms of creativity it is not anything very complex. They do have the best players so they have a big advantage. They are down to 3 scholarship running backs and only 2 of those have run the ball this year. Bryce Young is super talented but he is on the road at night in a loud stadium. If you keep it close with turnovers or some lucky breaks crazy things happen in football.
My Name Is Judge
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.