Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Fireable Offenses

6,992 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by nu awlins ag
Bill Superman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A little over a month ago we were touting our coaching staff as some of the most elite in NCAAF. Today, it's time to point out the numerous weak links and look for their replacements.

If this season has told us anything, it's that Jimbo needs to hand over the play calling duties to a real OC. Dickey is the first that needs to go, and someone brought in that Jimbo can trust calling plays. We've seen this same song and dance before with Sherman. This offense is a fireable offense.

WR coach Daymeune Craig is next on the list. The WR group have left much to be desired over the years, and it all falls back on Craig. Everything about the WR group has been questionable, from recruiting, to route running/separation, blocking and just plain catching.

Next up, LB coach Tyler Santucci gets the axe. The LB corp is suspect at best. This unit hasn't been elite since forever. It's time for change.

Runner Ups: DB coach TJ Rushing and OL coach Jim Henson. Henson trots out the muppets again this year and it's another ****ty sequel to the '19 season. His lack of preparation for this year tells you everything you need to know about his coaching and recruiting abilities. Were we we completely unaware of our upcoming personnel situation with all of the upperclassman last season? Ever heard of the transfer portal at least?

Our DB's have been subpar since always. The recruiting seems to have been well above average here, so development and coaching is the next explanation. Give them both the axe.

Fisher has been given everything he's asked for and needs to be successful here. Things should not be this bad in year 4. We might even need to bring in a QB coach to help relieve Jimbo of so many duties that he obviously can't juggle.

The list of issues goes on, but it can start with a few staff upgrades. It's too late to close the checkbook now.
concac
AG
Need to fire John Sharp.
Bill Superman
AG
RealTalk said:

Need to fire John Sharp.

User name checks out.
gambochaman
AG
Jimbo is Bill Obrien

A guy that has a huge ego and believes he's the smartest in the room at all times. He'll never give up playcalling and will never fault his system so it wont change
Aggie1188
gambochaman said:

Jimbo is Bill Obrien

A guy that has a huge ego and believes he's the smartest in the room at all times. He'll never give up playcalling and will never fault his system so it wont change
O'brien is a 100x better playcaller.
Frok
AG
Jimbos offense is boring and predictable even with a good line and QB.
StinkyPinky
AG
Frok said:

This
cevans_40
AG
Frok said:

Trick em. That's what we need. More trick plays.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
This offense is 100% worthy of getting you fired.
yell_on_6th st
AG
I need to fire myself for caring
OrygunAg
AG
Aggie offense is not firing on all cylinders.
TexasAggie81
gambochaman said:

Jimbo is Bill Obrien

Bingo !!! TexAgs needs to add the ability to give more than one star.
cevans_40
AG
TexasAggie81 said:

gambochaman said:

Jimbo is Bill Obrien

The guy you are *****ing about is going to win a natty as a play caller this season. LOL. This is gold
Slyfox07
AG
Bonzer103 said:

Frok said:

This
I'm old enough to remember when this board was begging for a traditional pro-style offense that took snaps from under center and utilized tight ends.
cevans_40
AG
slyfox07 said:

Bonzer103 said:

Frok said:

This
I'm old enough to remember when this board was begging for a traditional pro-style offense that took snaps from under center and utilized tight ends.
This is a new week.
Bill Superman
AG
slyfox07 said:

Bonzer103 said:

Frok said:

This

Why can't Jimbo adjust the offense to suit his players' strengths. Calzada obviously can't run this type of O, change it up and lean on your playmakers. A change of pace on occasion might help also.

You know what is other team expects from you, use that to throw them off.
TMF
AG
Bonzer103 said:

Frok said:

This

I fall into this out of frustration but then I can't tell you how many times we see the replay and the QB misses the open guy. So I am not sold his offense is boring or won't work. I think we haven't had a QB with the "it" factor and the game just comes to him at slow speed. That is still on Jimbo, but I think many of us need to separate out that frustration with facts. I am guilty of threat when the offense isn't clicking. I still think Jimbo could water down his offense to help a young QB get it, but who knows, maybe he is doing that.

It also doesn't help when the guy is open and the QB actually finds him we can't hit him or hit him in stride like many other teams can do.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
If the team can't execute simple plays, how is play calling the issue? Do you think they will do better running more complex schemes?
DuncanLEO
Craigs job ain't to coach up receivers…he delivers players. Need to look somewhere else to ***** about.
S&WAg03
Craig has to go after this season or sooner. He is a horrible WR's coach and a cancer to the team!
bigblackag12
AG
TMF said:

Bonzer103 said:

Frok said:

This

I fall into this out of frustration but then I can't tell you how many times we see the replay and the QB misses the open guy. So I am not sold his offense is boring or won't work. I think we haven't had a QB with the "it" factor and the game just comes to him at slow speed. That is still on Jimbo, but I think many of us need to separate out that frustration with facts. I am guilty of threat when the offense isn't clicking. I still think Jimbo could water down his offense to help a young QB get it, but who knows, maybe he is doing that.

It also doesn't help when the guy is open and the QB actually finds him we can't hit him or hit him in stride like many other teams can do.

Thats what im saying. When this offense is firing on all cylinders it is a thing of beauty. Open players everywhere big runs big plays. Its gotta be frustrating as a coach. And now the fans are whipped up and over analyzing and exaggerating issues. We saw a team not playing well play a little bit better this past week. Ill take something to build on going forward over nothing
Bill Superman
AG
bigblackag12 said:

TMF said:

Bonzer103 said:

Frok said:

This

Thats what im saying. When this offense is firing on all cylinders it is a thing of beauty. Open players everywhere big runs big plays. Its gotta be frustrating as a coach. And now the fans are whipped up and over analyzing and exaggerating issues. We saw a team not playing well play a little bit better this past week. Ill take something to build on going forward over nothing

This whole thing reeks of FSU '17 when Jimbo's starting QB went down, the O line was in shambles and the whole team fell apart. Hopefully we're all just over analyzing this whole thing.
12thMan9
AG
Bill Superman said:

A little over a month ago we were touting our coaching staff as some of the most elite in NCAAF. Today, it's time to point out the numerous weak links and look for their replacements.

If this season has told us anything, it's that Jimbo needs to hand over the play calling duties to a real OC. Dickey is the first that needs to go, and someone brought in that Jimbo can trust calling plays. We've seen this same song and dance before with Sherman. This offense is a fireable offense.

WR coach Daymeune Craig is next on the list. The WR group have left much to be desired over the years, and it all falls back on Craig. Everything about the WR group has been questionable, from recruiting, to route running/separation, blocking and just plain catching.

Next up, LB coach Tyler Santucci gets the axe. The LB corp is suspect at best. This unit hasn't been elite since forever. It's time for change.

Runner Ups: DB coach TJ Rushing and OL coach Jim Henson. Henson trots out the muppets again this year and it's another ****ty sequel to the '19 season. His lack of preparation for this year tells you everything you need to know about his coaching and recruiting abilities. Were we we completely unaware of our upcoming personnel situation with all of the upperclassman last season? Ever heard of the transfer portal at least?

Our DB's have been subpar since always. The recruiting seems to have been well above average here, so development and coaching is the next explanation. Give them both the axe.

Fisher has been given everything he's asked for and needs to be successful here. Things should not be this bad in year 4. We might even need to bring in a QB coach to help relieve Jimbo of so many duties that he obviously can't juggle.

The list of issues goes on, but it can start with a few staff upgrades. It's too late to close the checkbook now.
So, you want the guy who hired all the position coaches that you cite(I'll give you the WR spot b/c we suck at blocking, gettting separation) to swallow his pride mid-season or at the end and fire them?

And then what?
Ronnie '88
Alpha Texan
AG
gambochaman said:

Jimbo is Bill Obrien

People have called for Saban to hand over the defense several times.

His defense requires the utmost performance from the best of athletes and every few years, their defense will struggle for a few games and people will say he needs to let his DC handle that more and let the DC use their own system instead of conforming to Saban's, but once Saban's guys get past the learning curve, man is it a thing of beauty.

^That is a somewhat a summary of what CoastAg (best poster on TA, imo) explained on premium once.

Obviously, there's a lot of difference in Jimbo and Saban, but if we want to win natties, we're gonna have to grow players into Jimbo's scheme. That 2013 offense was pretty wicked on the record books. Go with Jimbo's style we have a chance to play with the best, or maybe we bust when we have young players and injuries (see this year). The alternative is dumb it down and have a pretty sure shot at 9-3 every year.

And Jimbo has adjusted since coming to A&M, he has taken a bit more of the spread into his playbook and plays more aggressively.

I will say, if we can get a young guy who has super big brain like what lil Briles, Kellen Moore, or Kingsbury, I'm a fan of letting him take some reigns from Jimbo, but those guys are mighty hard to come by
merch
Can we at least get stat guys in his ear?
2020, ATM had one of highest 3rd down conversion rates because we had great OL and experience at QB. Things that worked last year don't work now and Jimbo doesn't adjust.

2021- Jimbo throws on first down and incomplete and he goes to his default run call on second down trying to get into convertible third down. Last year this worked great for above reasons, this year it generally results in 3rd and 9-12 as we often lose yards. This is combination of bad OL and everybody and their grandmother knowing the second down play call.

Jimbo has got to quit being so predictable.

nu awlins ag
AG
cevans_40 said:

TexasAggie81 said:

gambochaman said:

Jimbo is Bill Obrien

The guy you are *****ing about is going to win a natty as a play caller this season. LOL. This is gold

He's only calling plays, not running the whole team. Huge difference.
Agsgirl
OrygunAg said:

Aggie offense is not firing on all cylinders.
That is assuming we have cylinders to fire and not mules and a wagon...
Jimbo4win
AG
Bonzer103 said:

Frok said:

This

Let's switch to OUs offense. It's SO dynamic! Lincoln Riley is such an offensive mastermind! He even scored 16 points against the vaunted West Virginia defense! And hey if that doesn't work, we can switch to Dabo's award winning offense. It's even led by a 5 star QB! It is amazing this year!
DarthAggie12
slyfox07 said:

Bonzer103 said:

Frok said:

This

And somehow, Air Force runs the triple option to absolute perfection. Might throw twice a game, and most teams can't stop them. Yeah I know, MWC...

But still, to do that with a bunch of two-star athletes who have to stay under a certain weight to fit in the uniform....

I'll take the Aggie offenses of the early 90's.
houstonaggie76
Now we are firing errbody. Please. We just committed $90 million to a coach. He now owns all decisions. You will like it. You will keep going to games. You will keep donating.
cevans_40
AG
nu awlins ag said:

cevans_40 said:

TexasAggie81 said:

gambochaman said:

Jimbo is Bill Obrien

Goalposts officially moved.
Bill Superman
AG
merch said:

Can we at least get stat guys in his ear?
2020, ATM had one of highest 3rd down conversion rates because we had great OL and experience at QB. Things that worked last year don't work now and Jimbo doesn't adjust.

2021- Jimbo throws on first down and incomplete and he goes to his default run call on second down trying to get into convertible third down. Last year this worked great for above reasons, this year it generally results in 3rd and 9-12 as we often lose yards. This is combination of bad OL and everybody and their grandmother knowing the second down play call.

Jimbo has got to quit being so predictable.

Starting the season 4-3 wasn't predictable at least.
nu awlins ag
AG
cevans_40 said:

nu awlins ag said:

cevans_40 said:

TexasAggie81 said:

gambochaman said:

Jimbo is Bill Obrien

Goalposts officially moved.

What? Not moving **** idiot. You're comparing a OC to a HC. You're moving goalposts.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.