Story Poster
Photo by Jamie Maury, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Haynes King to miss significant time after suffering broken tibia vs. Colorado

September 13, 2021

Texas A&M quarterback Haynes King has sustained a broken right leg with a crack at the low part of his tibia bone and will be sidelined for a while head coach Jimbo Fisher announced during Monday’s press conference. Fisher said King has undergone surgery and that the procedure went as well as it could have gone.

The A&M coach declined to offer a prognosis for when King would return.

“I’m not a doctor. When you heal, you heal,” Fisher said.

King was injured on the Aggies’ sixth offensive play of a 10-7 victory over Colorado on Saturday afternoon. He was hurt on a tackle by defensive end Guy Thomas. 

A redshirt freshman, King has completed 22-of-35 passes for 300 yards and two touchdowns with three interceptions this season.

Zach Calzada takes over the starting quarterback role until King returns. Calzada completed 18-of-38 passes for 183 yards and a touchdown against Colorado.

Discussion from...

Haynes King to miss significant time after suffering broken tibia vs. Colorado

19,557 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by dlsarmi2
GigEmTx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well that stinks. I guess we'll see how the team and coaching staff handle adversity now.
TAMU74
AG
So as injuries go is this one not as bad regarding rehab time as a broken ankle or High ankle sprain?
AgOutsideAustin
AG
TAMU74 said:

So as injuries go is this one not as bad regarding rehab time as a broken ankle or High ankle sprain?

Depends on the fracture but I think it's better than a broken ankle. Broken ankle and he would be done for the year. High ankle sprain can really linger and take awhile to heal also. Hoping for the best for him.
jsc8116
AG
Did injury occur when he got swung in the air and his foot hit a player or when he was planting/twisting in the ground at start of body slam? If the former that is a freak occurrence.
TAMU74
AG
jsc8116 said:

Did injury occur when he got swung in the air and his foot hit a player or when he was planting/twisting in the ground at start of body slam? If the former that is a freak occurrence.
I think he cracked the leg when he hit the other player.
Take a look at the play again and that's what it looks like to me.
TAMU74
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

TAMU74 said:

Depends on the fracture but I think it's better than a broken ankle. Broken ankle and he would be done for the year. High ankle sprain can really linger and take awhile to heal also. Hoping for the best for him.
I would agree. I had a high ankle sprain w/ torn ligaments some 30 years ago playing softball.
To this day if I miss a step on that foot, my right, I still can feel it.
A New Hope
I'm guessing it's a non displaced fracture not requiring surgery. Prob just immobilize it, non weight bearing, wait for it to heal. Hope there's no associated ligament or tendon damage, I feel good about calzada. Hope he stays healthy.
Houstonag
AG
The Colorado player should have been flagged.
RAB83
AG
Fedup said:

I'm guessing it's a non displaced fracture not requiring surgery. Prob just immobilize it, non weight bearing, wait for it to heal. Hope there's no associated ligament or tendon damage, I feel good about calzada. Hope he stays healthy.
Fisher said he underwent surgery.
NoahAg
Thanks a lot covid.
A New Hope
RAB83 said:

Fedup said:

If he got plate and screws, he's not coming back in 5-6 weeks.
vettmaster99
AG
King is probably done for the year.
TAMU74
AG
vettmaster99 said:

That's a real possibility
I think we can be assured that Jimbo is not going to rush King back onto the field.
The Agly Duckling
jsc8116 said:

When Bama played Missouri for the first time after we and they joined the SEC they had a DL swing one of Mizzou's RBs over his head and planted the guy. There was an Unnessessary Roughness call. I thought this one could've been called also, and it's the play on which King's freaking leg was broken.

Very effing uncool. I'd like to know the league's policy on that.
10Aggie10
AG
vettmaster99 said:

Most likely this.

I know sports injuries have come a long way in the last decade plus so this is probably irrelevant, but when I broke my fibula sophomore year I missed six weeks. I remember the ortho saying if it had been the tibia it would have been significantly longer
omc
Can we redshirt king
SA-AG72
AG
Fedup said:

RAB83 said:

Fedup said:

If he got plate and screws, he's not coming back in 5-6 weeks.

My wife (no rule 1) is recovering from the exact fracture and surgery. After 2 months of non bearing in a splint cast and boot she is able to start walking. King should be way ahead of that schedule due to his condition.
Mule
AG
He is indeed likely done for this year. We now "Basically" have one scholarship QB.
Texas Aggies
Leemo07
TAMU74 said:

jsc8116 said:

I re-watched the video and I think it was the left leg that whipped into the Colorado player. So I think it came from the planting/twisting.
lead
My son broke both of his at different times. I seem to recall 4 weeks in a leg cast (above knee) and 4 weeks in a smaller cast. Took a long time for his running and sports to become more normal. Not good for Haynes.
Rebbasser
AG
Reminded me of a play back in the day against Missouri. Missouri LB made a tackle that whipped his leg around into a helmet. Leg bent 90 degrees halfway between his knee and ankle. When I saw King get tackled and his leg whipped around that was the first thing I thought of.
dcg4403
AG
6 weeks in a boot minimum. 2 additional weeks in rehab minimum. And King would still be trying to rebuild muscle and prior game conditioning.

Looking at our schedule...soonest he possibly could return is Auburn on Nov 6th. More likely is Miss on Nov 13th.

Considering this......I do not see any way that he returns as the starter this year unless it is for CFP games. And that wouldn't make much sense as Calzada would have played excellent for a CFP spot and no reason to pull him at that point.

So most likely, Zach is now our guy this season. What scares me the most? If Zach goes down, we are totally hosed. This certainly makes for a totally different season this year. I have no clue what to expect from a CFP opportunity to a 7 or 8 win season! I do know...I am not very confident and keeping a very humble attitude.
TX_Aggie37
AG
TAMU74 said:

jsc8116 said:

The injury is to the right leg. The left leg is the one that swung into the defender. The oncoming defender hit his right leg/ankle at a weird ankle and you can kinda see it buckle a bit in the replay. Looks like a freak deal to me.
Allen76
AG
dcg4403 said:

6 weeks in a boot minimum. 2 additional weeks in rehab minimum. And King would still be trying to rebuild muscle and prior game conditioning.

Looking at our schedule...soonest he possibly could return is Auburn on Nov 6th. More likely is Miss on Nov 13th.

Considering this......I do not see any way that he returns as the starter this year unless it is for CFP games. And that wouldn't make much sense as Calzada would have played excellent for a CFP spot and no reason to pull him at that point.

So most likely, Zach is now our guy this season. What scares me the most? If Zach goes down, we are totally hosed. This certainly makes for a totally different season this year. I have no clue what to expect from a CFP opportunity to a 7 or 8 win season! I do know...I am not very confident and keeping a very humble attitude.
This.... looking at our opponents..... some of them seem better so far than we were expecting them to be. Just lumping them together, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Auburn, and Mississippi State are all looking good so far. And they are definitely looking better than I thought they would, especially Ole Miss. We shall soon see as they play tougher games on their schedules.
AG
omc said:

Can we redshirt king

Yes, medical or regular, either one.

Last year didn't count towards eligibility for anyone at all.
dlsarmi2
AG
I think the refs were smoking the MJ with the CU fans...LOL!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.