Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How long until "horns down" is outlawed by the SEC?

6,145 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by halfastros81
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
woodlees
AG
bv86ag said:

It will be a couple years after they join...and their bag men buy off Snakey to pass the rule.
First...it will be a penalty.
Then after a few years it becomes an automatic ejection.
The t.u. bagmen are also bringing their crooked referees.

there will be one new crew added to SEC officiating group

there is a list of potential new referees that is kept up continuously, as referees move on and retire on an ongoing basis

so rest assured a list existed prior to two weeks ago
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Actual Talking Thermos
aggiehawg said:

ActualTalkingThermos said:

I think like most gestures and celebrations, it will just depend on how players do it. Score a TD and flash it to the crowd with your back to the defenders, should be fine. Catch a TD pass and immediately whip around to do it in the defender's face, could get flagged. Same would be true of doing the hook'em/horns up or the gig'em/thumbs up or the gator chomp or whatever. As long as the same rules apply with all of it, should be ok.

Which incidentally is what the B12 said the policy would
be a few weeks ago, I'm pretty sure. If they had just applied it like that all along it never would have become a whole thing.
If your fans and even your coaches going back to Mack Brown weren't such cry babies about it it would have never been elevated to the level that it became embarrassing for you.
100% agree. Mack Brown had some fine qualities and had a lot of success, but he was also a thin-skinned goober. I don't think it had really been an issue on anyone's radar for a while until the 2018 WVU game when David Sills got flagged for running to the back of the end zone and doing a double horns down to the cameras and crowd. Should not have been flagged, but it was. And so the great Horns Down Discourse began.
Gaius Julius Bevo
Dr. Mephisto said:

Never.

The SEC is a big boy league.

Sip wants to play big boy ball? Time to sack up and quit being so pussified.

Honestly I'm reading the outlandish claims here and on other boards and I think WTH. Texas will be happily playing hard and collecting checks in the SEC. No need to ask for any favors in a league full of equals.
85AustinAg
AG
Quote:

That's not gonna fly in this league, I promise...I'm thinking you guys are going to be surprised at how little of their previous shenanigans they're going to be allowed to get away with once they get here..."But we're Texas" will be irrelevant in relation to "We're the SEC".
I so want to believe this but I've seen too much in the past to allow me to. They will come into this league swinging their dicks as though nothing has changed from the Big 12. It will be interesting to see how the other SEC schools react and deal with it.
85AustinAg
AG
How old are you Bevo? You sound awfully naive about this. That's not how sips behave.
500,000ags
AG
With all due respect, get a grip.
Gaius Julius Bevo
85AustinAg said:

How old are you Bevo? You sound awfully naive about this. That's not how sips behave.
On the wrong side of 40. Class of '95.

I know exactly how sips behave which is like any other person. Texas is a huge public university after all with students from all walks of life. I realize this is a fan forum and opinions are going to be colored to the extreme, but some of the talk here borders on the absurd. Texas fans are people just like you. We will have our good moments and bad. In the balance, hopefully more of the former than the latter.
TopoTacos
AG
lotoarmy said:

vander54 said:

bv86ag said:

It will be a couple years after they join...and their bag men buy off Snakey to pass the rule.
First...it will be a penalty.
Then after a few years it becomes an automatic ejection.
The t.u. bagmen are also bringing their crooked referees.

Some of you and your conspiracies are funny.

Sad, but funny.
Didn't you mean "sad but true"?

I promise I don't mean any negativity by the following statement:

You're living in the past and you need to wake up and look around.

We are in a much stronger position as a school/brand than we were in the SWC/BDF. Not only that, but Texas can't bully these SEC teams around. Bama doesn't give two ***** whose feelings they hurt (see: UAB) and neither do the other mega-rich programs in the SEC. the Longhorns are just 1 of 16 now, and it's gonna be a huge wake up call for their meddlers.
ABATTBQ11
AG
500,000ags said:

It's pretty amazing to me that some here think UT will have similar power in the SEC. The SEC is organized in Birmingham, Alabama. Where the University of Alabama contends perennially. After 10 years, we are still treated like after thoughts in many ways. It will take UT decades to be favored (in SEC politics) over the good ol' boys - AL, AUB, LSU, UGA, UF, etc. Unlike the Big 12, no one needs UT for anything here. Anything. UT will get booted long before the SEC folds or the good ol' boys give up any real authority.

If they didn't need tu for anything, they wouldn't be joining the league. They're bringing $$$, and they know it. They don't need to be favored over the good ol' boys. Their strategy has always been divide and conquer. They'll try to split the good ol' boys and pit them against each other over perceived or real dividing lines to force compromises beneficial to them and their goals.
agent-maroon
AG

Quote:

Longhorn fans are considered arrogant and privileged by some of their Big 12 opponents. The school's vast accumulation of wealth through the Permanent University Fund helped provide it with a huge early head start over most universities. That largesse has grown over the years, enabling Texas to have the largest endowment in 2007 of any public university in the nation.

"We don't keep up with the Jones," Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds once famously said. "We are the Joneses."

https://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/204/the-big-12-loves-to-hate-the-longhorns

Nothing has changed in the 13 years since this was published. You're kidding yourself if you choose to think otherwise.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
500,000ags
AG
Adding UT and OU is much more of a defensive play than that. Allowing the Big 10, ACC, or PAC to gobble up these two would hurt much more than adding them helps the SEC. If we are headed to 4 (or even 2 IMO) super conferences, this was a necessary evil for the SEC given their location and ability to generate revenue. With super conferences, every school's power is gradually getting diluted because there are less and less small schools to push around - UT is no different.
aggiehawg
AG
500,000ags said:

Adding UT and OU is much more of a defensive play than that. Allowing the Big 10, ACC, or PAC to gobble up these two would hurt much more than adding them helps the SEC. If we are headed to 4 (or even 2 IMO) super conferences, this was a necessary evil for the SEC given their location and ability to generate revenue. With super conferences, every school's power is gradually getting diluted because there are less and less small schools to push around - UT is no different.
Disagree. Sooners and sips in the B1G, ACC or the PAC really doesn't affect the SEC at all.
500,000ags
AG
That's fine. I think the Big 10 adding UT and OU, is step 1 of the Big 10 overtaking the SEC.
Oldfart2
How long until "horns down" is outlawed by the SEC?

Wasn't that a condition the horns put on the SEC to say they would grace our presence in our league?
aggiehawg
AG
More important is when will TexAgs add horns down emoji?

NonReg81
BaileyAg said:

With our limp wristed, capitulating administration, it wouldn't surprise me if we supported the ban
Amen
NonReg81
aggiehawg said:

More important is when will TexAgs add horns down emoji?

LOL
ABATTBQ11
AG
Disagree. Those two heading anywhere does nothing to the SEC. I'm not even sure they'd go.
TheHoneybadger
AG

halfastros81
AG
Iv'e always felt like horns down was childish but to make it a penalty. Ridiculous.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.