Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Theoretical ways to stop t.u. to the SEC

6,431 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Sbisa Chef
dunlay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm NOT a lawyer, and this is IMHO, for discussion:
1. The "gentleman's agreement" -- hunt the old archived email messages, and if it is discussed, the weight of it could be more than just a hand-shake agreement. If it is in writing, even as a reference, that could have some teeth.
2. Target Florida and Georgia; start issuing cryptic statements... that if the State of Texas wasn't protected for A&M, who says the agreement is any good in Florida (FSU) and Georgia (GaTech)?
3. Get with FSU or GT and see if they will make a comment or 2 about no longer being prohibited from joining, if this deal goes through.
4. See if Tennessee is willing to surrender their reference/label of "UT"...
5. Aggies put out some thoughts about how excited t.u. must be to be able to recruit SEC players out of Lousiana

#1 is a legal maneuver, that I would assume is already being explored.
#2-#5 could get us the other 2 (reportedly) votes we need to end this.
"Democracy: 2 wolves and 1 sheep deciding one what to have for supper. Liberty: 2 wolves set on supper, and finding 1 well armed sheep."
Win At Life
AG
tu and OU have announced they are out of the B12

I can't see them doing that if they don't have very strong assurance from the SEC that they have the votes.
45-70Ag
AG
It's done. No way they don't know the way a vote goes now.
levypantsEOY
I haven't cringed this bad since Manziel was on a podcast.
Dominion Caracas Branch
I think the question is when do they officially leave the big12. They are leaving and coming to sec. We just don't know how soon.
aggiehawg
AG
Technically the vote could in theory be OU is approved but tu is not. Sips have a fallback position as the B1G would then snap them up.
My Name Is Judge
aggiehawg said:

Technically the vote could in theory be OU is approved but tu is not. Sips have a fallback position as the B1G would then snap them up.

I thought they committed to being a package deal?

Regardless I'm pretty sure it's already been decided both schools are coming to SEC, probably in 2023
MROD92
My Name Is Judge said:

aggiehawg said:

I thought they committed to being a package deal?

Regardless I'm pretty sure it's already been decided both schools are coming to SEC, probably in 2023

That sounds like a gentlemen's agreement
JonSnow
It appears to already be a done deal and apparently we may actually vote for it.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
The non-renewal of GoR was expected, even before the SEC news started coming out. I think they article references is getting a little ahead of itself is saying this is done.

I often see this kind of narrative on this board. People speak of things that have not happened yet as if they are describing a pre-determined script or grand narrative whose outcome is already determined.

Yes, I do think Texas and OU are making moves to make it possible for them to come to the SEC. Yes, I do think it is evident that they have had discussions and have probably received assurances that they will be invited.

The one thing I do not buy is that the entire conference was notified about this, EXCEPT for Texas A&M. Therefore, I have to conclude that there is still SOME risk for OU and Texas that they will not, in fact, get the votes for membership. And, I have to conclude that there would still be a possibility of changing minds.

I'm not fully convinced we OUGHT to fight this. My gut and heart say hell no, but I'm open to the possibility that this may, in fact, be good for everyone.

Can't do anything about it myself anyway, so I'm just watching.
AGinHI
AG
Theoretically

We could send some Ags into space

Have them land on a giant meteor and use their engineering expertise to guide it to crash into Austin.
Buford T. Justice
AG
We are going to need a hologram of Mike Slive whispering the gentlemen's agreement into the ear of Bowen Loftin. Then, we'll need to record the conversation. That should do it.

While we're at it, we should get a hologram of Tupac and put him beside Slive and Loftin, and have him perform "Picture me Rollin'."
Athanasius
AG
Why?!?

Just beat them on the field.
Dominion Caracas Branch
I don't think it is end of the world for us if it is just them and ou. We are better positioned than ever before. I think it will make the conference toxic in a way it hasn't been before.

I do think a mega conference is good for us long run (meaning at least some good acc candidates join).
greg.w.h
AG
I don't think a mere ten-year-old member is likely to succeed if everyone else is voting yes. All you do is get them all aligned to vote you out or to run you off like Bama did with Bobby Dodd. I certainly do encourage building up both kinds of political capital (goodwill and the kind that you can actually spend based on what you actually bring.)
Just Tired
dunlay said:

3. Get with FSU or GT and see if they will make a comment or 2 about no longer being prohibited from joining, if this deal goes through.

i imagine we're pretty low on the list of who fsu is willing to do a solid for.
DSAG
aggiehawg said:

It's a done deal.
Sips start play in the SEC in 2022.
Not sure if it's 2 divisions or 4 pods.
I prefer the 2 divisioms with Bama/Auburn moving to the East and Missouri to the West.
PneumAg
Really good ideas, OP. I will text John Sharp right now and tell him.
blacksox
This is a done deal. All the negotiating has been done. Terms are agreed. Everything from here on out was scripted before the news broke on Wednesday.
WhereItsWarm
AG
PJust Tired said:

POTD
Jimbo4win
AG
aggiehawg said:

This times 1000
TexAg15
AG
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015
whytho987654
Just Tired said:

dunlay said:

Miami could be an option then
fulshearAg96
AG
AGinHI said:

Theoretically

We could send some Ags into space

Have them land on a giant meteor and use their engineering expertise to guide it to crash into Austin.
Is this doable??
Ags77
AG
Been a done deal for awhile. The big 12 comish tried to give the sooners and horns a bigger slice of the revenue, but this move isnt about money first, imo.
Gidnik
You don't. It's a done deal
ntxVol
6) Get the B1G to buy them.

If you could deliver ND with them, problem solved.
Swamp Thing
dunlay said:

1. The "gentleman's agreement" -- hunt the old archived email messages, and if it is discussed, the weight of it could be more than just a hand-shake agreement. If it is in writing, even as a reference, that could have some teeth.
2. Target Florida and Georgia; start issuing cryptic statements... that if the State of Texas wasn't protected for A&M, who says the agreement is any good in Florida (FSU) and Georgia (GaTech)?
5. Aggies put out some thoughts about how excited t.u. must be to be able to recruit SEC players out of Lousiana

No offense, but the SEC wouldn't do to us or UGA what they did to y'all...Which was, admittedly, supremely uncool.
Rebel Yell
AG
Swamp Thing said:

dunlay said:

No offense, but the SEC wouldn't do to us or UGA what they did to y'all...Which was, admittedly, supremely uncool.
No offense taken. But in fairness, we thought the SEC wouldn't do that to us either.
“I don’t even sit on the left side of church”
DuncanLEO
6. Let the air out of all of their tires

JodyMcD96
AG
Swamp Thing said:

dunlay said:

Knowing that, we should act accordingly in the future.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
The simplest way is to nuke Austin.
dunlay
AG
Swamp Thing said:

dunlay said:

No offense taken, however, in an agreement like this, a violation effects all. Miami or FSU could join with no barriers now. Negate a gentleman's agreement with one, the rest are trash too. The thing is, our BOR needs to make a public statement as to that, but they are too inept to do it.
"Democracy: 2 wolves and 1 sheep deciding one what to have for supper. Liberty: 2 wolves set on supper, and finding 1 well armed sheep."
wbt5845
AG
Keep in mind everyone saying "it's a done deal" don't actually have any inside knowledge that it actually is a done deal.
@TyWebb
All the people who say that don't know jack ****; they just love to pretend they do.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.