Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is Elko really looking at the Kansas job?

11,175 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Barry Potter 09
Barry Potter 09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My friends who follow Kansas Football are blasting my phone, asking me questions about Elko. I said surely it was a joke, but I looked up what they are talking about. Apparently his name is floating around CFB coaaches circles for the job.

RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
I'm sure it's the same way Pete Carrol was considered for the sip job.
SattlerAggie
He's turned down better jobs then that to stay here. Doubt it
AG
If he has another top 10 defense this year, he will have his choice of real jobs at the end of this season. Kansas is where coaches go to die and beat texas.

We are on borrowed time with him, but can't see him seriously considering KU with his future prospects.
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
So NOT Saban?
Make Mental Asylums Great Again!
Sterling82
The fact that this job is still open tells you a lot about how good the job is. I think KU is going to be lucky to get a decent FCS coach. Elko? Forget about it.
TxAg76
AG
Eric Taylor.

Clear eyes, full hearts
SpreadsheetAg
AG
In the middle of Spring football?
vander54
S
Lol. Highly doubt it
BrandoC
AG
Any college coach who takes a coordinator job in May when you hold any power 5 coordinator position has got to be the stupidest SOB alive. Not to mention someone who you never should trust. It would hurt him more than help him, not to mention he would not be getting that much bigger of a pay raise to be the HC at Kansas. February I understand an maybe, maybe early March but after spring football? I would hope he is smarter than that.
Barry Potter 09
Sterling82 said:

The fact that this job is still open tells you a lot about how good the job is. I think KU is going to be lucky to get a decent FCS coach. Elko? Forget about it.

It sounds like Buffalo's Lance Leipold, Army's Todd Monken, and Tulane's Willie Fritz are real options for them, along with some others. Crazy to say but Kansas has the only current P5 HC opening. They are some appealing options, for a variety of reasons.
Agsuffering@bulaw
ADs at bad programs always rattle off a bunch of names they have little hope of hiring. That way, they can tell the boosters they tried.

But, your friends need to get real. Kansas is a coaching grace yard. They ran the best coach in their history off for being insensitive. They are far, far away from Hs talent and have higher academic standards than most of their POS conference. Good luck recruiting there.

Elko is not stupid. When he takes a HC job, it will be somewhere that gives him a solid chance for success.
Shoefly!
AG
He Gone! For sure this time.
farwellrob
AG
Why would he take a pay cut to coach at a place that hates football?
Emilio Fantastico
AG
With the defensive talent we have been assembling, all Elko has to do is hang out here a few more years and then he will make out like Kirby Smart and have a job offer that sets him up for success.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Elko will land at a place similar to Michigan st, Indiana, Pitt, Virginia etc. It won't be somewhere like Kansas.
Jimbo4win
AG
I would say Elko would be stupid to take the Kansas job but I stopped trusting myself when I thought Matt Rhule was stupid for taking the Baylor job. I was wrong.
sharpdressedman
The winning ticket for the combined coaching and retirement lottery is on its way to CS, and will likely be given to Elko within a few years. In the meantime, he has a good shot of coaching a playoff or NC team. I think he is exactly where he wants to be.
TexanJeff
AG
Why would he take the KU job now when he can get a good job next year PLUS $2 Million this year?

KU pays $2 Million to a Head Coach!
Sterling82
I would hate to see Monken take it but he would be a good hire. On the other hand, he would be a fool to take it.
Pumpkinhead
AG
The Kansas football job has more often than not been a HC career killer. Unlikely someone in Elko's position would go that route as his first job as a HC. It is an extremely difficult program to recruit to or win at.
GreatSullysGhost
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

ADs at bad programs always rattle off a bunch of names they have little hope of hiring. That way, they can tell the boosters they tried..

#urbanmeyer
Jinkies.
randy828
AG
This is the funniest part of the OP...and nobody jumped on it?

Quote:

My friends who follow Kansas Football
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
Agsncws
AG
randy828 said:

Quote:

Excellent point. My step son attends KU now and I would bet $100 bills to donuts he has no idea who they're talking to about the next HFC.
NoahAg
FWIW, I did hear Rick Barnes removed his name from consideration.
ATM9000
AG
Barry Potter 09 said:

My friends who follow Kansas Football are blasting my phone, asking me questions about Elko. I said surely it was a joke, but I looked up what they are talking about. Apparently his name is floating around CFB coaaches circles for the job.

Solid troll but everybody knows nobody follows Kansas football.
Barry Potter 09
randy828 said:

Quote:

Even I had to give you a like. My coworker across the hallway graduated from KU and I know of some others in the area. My coworker is more about BB but does follow FB. He just wants to see something resembling respectability. They haven't won 4 games since Mangino's final year in 2009; that would be an accomplishment all around.
Barry Potter 09
ATM9000 said:

Barry Potter 09 said:

Solid troll but everybody knows nobody follows Kansas football.

Actually, there is a tiny segment of people who still chooses to follow KUFB despite its pitiful record this last decade.
Divining Rod
NoahAg said:

FWIW, I did hear Rick Barnes removed his name from consideration.

Smart move....
agracer
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

ADs at bad programs always rattle off a bunch of names they have little hope of hiring. That way, they can tell the boosters they tried.

But, your friends need to get real. Kansas is a coaching grace yard. They ran the best coach in their history off for being insensitive. They are far, far away from Hs talent and have higher academic standards than most of their POS conference. Good luck recruiting there.

Elko is not stupid. When he takes a HC job, it will be somewhere that gives him a solid chance for success.
. Nope.

Have a HS diploma? You're in.
Actual Talking Thermos
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

They ran the best coach in their history off for being insensitive.
It wasn't just them though. He really must be the most insufferable SOB on earth if his personality was bad enough to (a) get him fired from Kansas two years after winning a BCS bowl there, and (b) prevent him from ever getting another HC job despite having that on his resume. It was FOUR YEARS before he even got an ASSISTANT job, and he only managed to do that for three seasons split between two schools before he was banished to the phantom zone again.
The Lost
Football scoop has kept his name in the mix.

I doubt he leaves, but it's probably good interview practice and I doubt he's here after this season.
Aggieair
Barry Potter 09 said:

Sterling82 said:

It sounds like Buffalo's Lance Leipold, Army's Todd Monken, and Tulane's Willie Fritz are real options for them, along with some others. Crazy to say but Kansas has the only current P5 HC opening. They are some appealing options, for a variety of reasons.

You mean Jeff Monken? He's always been a run-heavy, triple-option type coach. He's found his niche at Army, and even though KU is P5, that still seems like a downgrade.
81fisch
AG
I agree he has turned down better jobs. But he loved Lee enough to say if he ever got a head job Grimes would be his O line coach. Lee is already that at KU. I sure hope it's not yet as he has always said he has unfinished business at Texas A&M. Please finish that business
JW
AG
Dead end job
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.