Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Well I Did Not Know That.... (LSU)

10,066 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by $240 Worth of Pudding
Divining Rod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LSU's full name is "Louisiana State University and A&M College"

It is a land grant and sea grant college

West Point Aggie
AG
Back in the day there were lots of A&Ms.

Florida, alabama and a few others remain...but there is really just ONE!
Let’s Go Brandon!
Agsuffering@bulaw
Okie lite was originally okie a&m
DuncanLEO
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Okie lite was originally okie a&m

Many of the now "State" U's were A&M's and their students/alumni were called the "State" Aggies. We are the Texas Aggies. Okie Lite were the Oklahoma Aggies. Kansas State were the Kansas Aggies. Etc. It's interesting reading old newspaper stories and seeing those teams referred to like that.
Detmersdislocatedshoulder
DuncanLEO said:

Very brave to put a self portrait on Texas Ags

PyriteAg
AG
So are you saying our rivalry with them was Aggies vs Swamp Aggies all along???
Canvasback
AG
Auburn is a land grant college and was originally named Alabama A&M.
VatoLocoAggie
NM State Aggies. Utah State Aggies.
Most State schools were A&M but there is only one "A&M" and that is the Texas Aggies! Hell yeah!
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
inch05
AG
You go to some college towns that were land grant schools and they still have Aggie-remnants like Colorado State in Ft Collins has an Aggie theater I believe and Stillwater as well.
Rongagin71
AG
A&M College could have been Texas State University but preferred to keep A&M.
VatoLocoAggie
Rongagin71 said:

Yep. I also read that during the Sumerlin era that there was a push to drop the "Texas" and officially change it to "The A&M University" and just call it "A&M".
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
West Point Aggie
AG
VatoLocoAggie said:

Rongagin71 said:

Yep. I also read that during the Sumerlin era that there was a push to drop the "Texas" and officially change it to "The A&M University" and just call it "A&M".

Did drake lead that effort?
Let’s Go Brandon!
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Canvasback said:

Auburn is a land grant college and was originally named Alabama A&M.

Auburn was not Alabama A&M. It was Alabama Polytechnic Institute before it became Auburn.
greg.w.h
AG
There were two Morrill Acts. The first was originally vetoed by James Buchanan then successfully passed in 1862 by the remaining states with Lincoln's signature as in effect an inducement to the remaining states for remaining faithful. The earlier one had military tactics added to the supported curriculum prior to passage after the veto.

The latter in 1890 was passed with Reconstruction support and extended the original to segregated universities for blacks and was intended to force the former secessionist states to provide higher education for blacks.

Those all in effect instantly were historic black colleges and universities from the moment of founding and that led to efforts to preserve those institutions by leaders like Lawrence "Sul" Ross and then later to survive the rejection of "separate but equal" segregation by the Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka in 1954.

Florida A&M, Alabama A&M, and our system member university Prairie View A&M all were founded based on the 1890 extension of the original 1862 Morrill Act.

You're welcome...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrill_Land-Grant_Acts
West Point Aggie
AG
Is this thread gonna trigger that psycho sip singularly obsessed with all things A&M?!!
Let’s Go Brandon!
L8HIT
AG
Does anyone know why we didn't get rebranded to Texas State? When was this decided? And by whom?
Stone44
AG
L8HIT said:

Does anyone know why we didn't get rebranded to Texas State? When was this decided? And by whom?

I was told Gen. Earl Rudder put an end to that idea. Michigan A&M, Mississippi A&M, Okie A&M, Florida A&M, etc., all changed to State. Rudder said we aren't changing.....we will always be A&M. Tradition ruled.
InnocentBystander99
AG
L8HIT said:

August 1963 is when the name change took effect.
oldvalleyrat
AG
Stone44 said:

L8HIT said:

I was told Gen. Earl Rudder put an end to that idea. Michigan A&M, Mississippi A&M, Okie A&M, Florida A&M, etc., all changed to State. Rudder said we aren't changing.....we will always be A&M. Tradition ruled.
I was there and remember Rudder saying "No". Suited me fine. I also was the last class to get A&M College of Texas on my Senior ring. Very proud of that!
All organizations are perfectly aligned for the results they get.
JustisWalkert
AG
jamieboy2014
AG
inch05 said:

You go to some college towns that were land grant schools and they still have Aggie-remnants like Colorado State in Ft Collins has an Aggie theater I believe and Stillwater as well.
Other examples include the "Aggieville" moniker Kansas State has for their shopping district and some areas in Starkville with the Aggie name.
If your username is jickyjack1, Shooter McGavin, proudaggie02, txrancher69, or Rick Deckard... don't bother responding. You won't offer anything insightful.
achooooo
Texas was actually named Texas A&M-Austin for the first 5 years of its existence. Little known fact.
Divining Rod
To reiterate in case some missed the message in all the " USED TO BE" stories

THAT IS STILL THE OFFICIAL NAME OF THE SCHOOL:

"LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY AND A&M COLLEGE"
victorma52
AG
VatoLocoAggie said:

Rongagin71 said:

I am announcing my commitment to the university of a&m
WC94
AG
UTEP used to be the College of Mines and Metallurgy, hence the Miner as a mascot.
TexAg2k8
AG
I went to Texas State my freshman year, which was right after they changed its name from Southwest Texas State, and heard while I was there that A&M had opposed their name change to Texas State. Anybody know if there's any truth to that? I figure if A&M really didn't want it to happen it wouldn't have happened.
SA-AG72
AG
TexAg2k8 said:

I went to Texas State my freshman year, which was right after they changed its name from Southwest Texas State, and heard while I was there that A&M had opposed their name change to Texas State. Anybody know if there's any truth to that? I figure if A&M really didn't want it to happen it wouldn't have happened.

It was only logical that the "bell cow" of the Texas State System be named Texas State University.
WhereItsWarm
AG
inch05 said:

Don't forget the giant Aggie "A" on the side of the foothills there.
ColoAg95
AG
My MIL's diploma says Colorado A&M. She is 89.

West Point Aggie
AG
Divining Rod said:

To reiterate in case some missed the message in all the " USED TO BE" stories

THAT IS STILL THE OFFICIAL NAME OF THE SCHOOL:

"LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY AND A&M COLLEGE"

The thread is no longer about that "where brains go to die" dump out in Red Stick!
Let’s Go Brandon!
bigjag19
AG
Stone44 said:

L8HIT said:

Florida State was never Florida A&M.
Canvasback
AG
I stand corrected.
McInnis80
bigjag19 said:

Florida State was never Florida A&M.
Florida State was previously Florida State College for Women. They changed the name and included men after WWII. That is why they have no pre war football history.
ABattJudd
AG
Stone44 said:

L8HIT said:

Florida State was never Florida A&M. Two separate institutions. Florida A&M is an HBCU.

Florida State was originally the Florida Military and Collegiate Institute, and cadets from the school actually defeated Union forces at the Battle of Natural Bridge. This made Tallahassee the only capital east of the Mississippi to not fall to the Union during the Civil War.

The college eventually became West Florida Seminary, and was then reorganized in 1905 into the Florida State College for Women. I worked with a lady at my first teaching job who was a graduate of FSCW, and she was still pissed about the school becoming co-ed. Like a reverse of an old Ag from the early '60s.

**Edit** Looks like I took too long writing my mini-dissertation here.
"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.