Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Finebaum show - Tom Herman called USCe about their opening

8,780 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Agsuffering@bulaw
BwdAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fun never stops with awkward Tom.

It is being reported he called expressing interest in the job after muschamp firing.

Hehehe.
FtBendTxAg
AG
So he's not fired but called a lesser job?
rangelady
AG
This is hilarious. I am in our upstairs office working....Pawl is on the tube downstairs. Had to yell down and ask the hubs if that is what I really heard.

Bet USCe is breathing a sigh of relief that they dodged that bullet when they hired Muschamp!
AGSFAN82
AG
With all due respect - You are confused sir. USCw is the lesser job.
TXRunner97
AG
I heard it too.
Imagine the coach of the beloved longhorns calling South Carolina to inquire about an SEC job.
I hope he stays there forever. He is the quintessential D bag.
redleg82
AG
i hope he wasn't simultaneously professing his unending devotion and loyalty to Texas' recruits, players and his assistants.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Hmmmm.. as fun as the rumor is... I'm skeptical.
TxAg76
AG
Yo Herm, how bout 'Zona!
ABATTBQ87
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

yea probably didn't call USCe, but called Arizona!
leardriver
AG
Herman would not call South Carolina....

...but his agent would.

CB, '67
Sometimes if you want a different answer, you have to ask a different question.
Not_Sure
AG
Could see it from a couple angles:

1) Herman was trying to set himself up for a good landing spot in case he did get fired, or

2) He was trying to pump up his name as a serious candidate for other P5 openings to help t.u. "realize" he's a coach in high demand. Little far fetched, but I could see Tom mensa'ing himself into this being a good and logical idea.
CaptnCarl
AG
Ok. Cool. #Hookem.
rgag12
AG
I would love to play tommy boy every year!
Agsuffering@bulaw
The man is looking at a huge buyout if fired. I get an agent making a call. I don't believe there was any realistic hope that SC would offer enough for Herman to walk away from that much money.
JustisWalkert
AG
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/south-carolina-football/tom-herman-reportedly-contacted-sec-ad-about-coaching-vacancy/

Rumor denied by Herman's wife for some reason
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
JustisWalkert said:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/south-carolina-football/tom-herman-reportedly-contacted-sec-ad-about-coaching-vacancy/

Rumor denied by Herman's wife for some reason

She also denied him sniffing cocaine off strippers
SilverTongueDevil
Well why not. His low class employer was actively pursuing another coach while he is still employed.

When I saw the ESPN crawler info that TX AD announced he is returning I almost fell out of my chair. How can they possibly bring him back after pursuing Meyer and getting turned down? So they didnt get Meyer there are still coaches better than Herman (Franklin, Cristobal etc.) that they could get.
p-wonk01
AG
BwdAg said:

It is being reported he called expressing interest in the job after muschamp firing.

Hehehe.

What's funny about it? You know you are getting passed over at some point so why wouldn't you be looking to land?

Hell I'm dealing with the same thing here, but mine has nothing to do with production
BwdAg
AG
p-wonk01 said:

BwdAg said:

Hehehe.

What's funny about it? You know you are getting passed over at some point so why wouldn't you be looking to land?

Hell I'm dealing with the same thing here, but mine has nothing to do with production

Sorry you are facing issues bud. Hang tough.
sharpdressedman
Pawl was stunned. This is near the top of the list of bad things that can happen to a HC the night before signing day.
West Point Aggie
AG
tu was actively looking while Herman was their coach so an equal eff you seems appropriate.
Let’s Go Brandon!
usmcbrooks
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

Sbisa Chef
OMG.

I read the first post aloud.

Now my 3-year old is walking around the house singing (like a broken record..)

"Tom Herman,
Tom Herman,
Tom Herman,
Tom Herman..."

Send help.
Red Rover
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

The man is looking at a huge buyout if fired. I get an agent making a call. I don't believe there was any realistic hope that SC would offer enough for Herman to walk away from that much money.
It seems reasonable that the vote of confidence publicly given by his boss was for the purpose of keeping the recruiting class together or possibly avoiding some amount of buyout if they wait another couple months before firing him. If Tom feels this is a possibility and he doesn't want to take a year off, that might be a reason for him to have his agent inquire about potential opportunities.

It does seem foolish, though, since he still has a large enough buyout that adding any risk to get that from a for cause firing wouldn't be worth the potential earnings he might have in 2021 from another job if he were to be canned this cycle.
eATMup-Reveille
If true, and Herman is gone, Malzahn will coach sips next year.
JustisWalkert
AG
I know it won't happen, but suppose SC hires Herman. Where does that leave texas? The only reason they didn't fire him is because they couldn't find anybody to take his place that was any better.
Jock 07
AG
Hairplugs just learned the hard way that the transfer portal is for players only
EKUAg
AG
JustisWalkert said:

I know it won't happen, but suppose SC hires Herman. Where does that leave texas? The only reason they didn't fire him is because they couldn't find anybody to take his place that was any better.

USCe already hired Shane Beamer.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

You know what they say, it is easier to get a job when you have a job.

He was trying to stay ahead of the second part.
Txmoe
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

A smaller school in a better conference...I'll call it a lateral move.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Winning more than 7-8 games at sc right now is next to impossible. Figure in any given year, they get Clemson,Georgia, Florida and usually an early
Ooc challenge game. 3 immediate losses. Then, they get a tough west rotation at least every other year. And, they have not had success against us.
rsf0626
Do you blame him? I wouldnt want to coach in that dumpster fire in austin
Agsuffering@bulaw
I'm just surprised Pawl didn't dig further, or provide proof of his digging. And it sounds like there was no attempt to provide the context in which this conversation happened.

Agents are always talking to people. Herman's agent probably has 50 other clients. Maybe he called sc about one of them and happened to mention that for the right price, Herman would bolt.

But, Beamer took a micro contract. Not likely sc was willing to even consider Herman's price.
Agsuffering@bulaw
And usually lateral moves happen when the coach is mad about the money: salary, facilities, assistant pay. Why Jimbo is here. Why holgersen left wv.

Sips have problems, but money for football is not one.
AggieChemist
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

And usually lateral moves happen when the coach is mad about the money: salary, facilities, assistant pay. Why Jimbo is here. Why holgersen left wv.

Sips have problems, but money for football is not one.
Holgerson left WVU when he lost a big group of upperclassmen including a multi-year starting QB on a 7 or 8 win team. He was gonna get his stool pushed in and get fired the next year.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.