Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Ranking every Texas A&M QB in the 21st century

6,773 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ol Rock
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
and regarding Jerrod...

if folks think Mond has played with bad o-lines the last 2 years...oh my goodness...what JJ played behind in 2008 & 2009 was horrendous
alamogeorge
AG
The amount of Aggies who can't read simple instructions is astounding.

In the 21st century, two could've had better careers given better circumstances. Johnson and Starkel. At least Johnson got to show what he had even if he lost a little of it later. I still believe we would've been better with Starkel if only for the quicker decision making. A good decision made too late ends up with the results we have behind center right now.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Aggieland!" -Davy Crockett
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
You guys are forgetting Reggie McNeal tried to knock over Mount Aggie as part of his anti-ski marxist behavior.
Alpha Texan
AG
dcbowers said:

Alpha Texan said:

I know he wasn't too good, but I have a lot of appreciation for Hubenak. Seemed like a good ag and was grateful to get a shot

Hi, Mrs. Hubanek.
I mean, I'm a straight dude, but if we're talking about a chance with Jake Hubenak... ya know... wouldn't we all... ya know, nothing gay but maybe a little smooch or spend the night together?
Herne the Hunter
junk bond said:

Mond has no business in top 5 period.

Mond has no business on that list, just because his position say QB doesn't mean he is one.
Stand Back & Stand By
Former Premium subscriber
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
The only reason that Kellen Mond is in the top 5 of that list is longevity.
Spotted Ag
AG
The ONLY thing Mond has going for him is longevity.
Ol Rock
AG
Agreed, that's why it's a bad poll. It's like someone who's either too young and didn't watch the QBs or someone who just looked at stats.
JJxvi
AG
Johnny Manziel
Reggie McNeal
Trevor Knight
Ryan Tannehill
Stephen McGee
Kellen Mond
Jerrod Johnson
Kenny Hill
Dustin Long
Kyle Allen
Mark Farris

Kenny Hill should be further up the list, if not for his short stint and implosion. His year as starter is the real wtf moment in our qb history this century, although most point to the allen/murray transfers.

McNeal, Knight, and McGee are all underrated rushing QB's. The offenses led by McNeal are probably criminally underrated, he led offenses that gained like 6.5 plus yards per play, which is basically only put to shame by Manziel. 3-7 are probably all basically interchangeable. They are all too different from each other in terms of strengths and weaknesses and in terms of the offense they played in to really rank them strongly relative to each other IMO. For example, I have Jerrod Johnson at the bottom of the list, but really he's probably the best pure passer in that group, but how do you separate him from his injuries and the fact that we mostly really really sucked. He could easily be considered 3 if you ignore the team wins and losses aspect of this.
Saint Pablo
Artorias said:

Ol Rock said:

KA had some epic meltdowns and bailed. He also never beat LSU.

Mond has some frustrating games but he was awesome vs #1 Clemson and is the only A&M QB to beat LSU (thanks Bertolet).

Mond is def above KA.

KM was amazing at OU but we never got to see that at A&M.

You're welcome to put up your own list.
Mond had 1 good game against Clemson in 2018? Yay?

KA also beat #3 Auburn on the road as a true freshman, throwing 4 TDs.

I don't know what to tell you if you are going to try to objectively try to argue that Mond is a better passer than KA. That's not really even debatable.

That same Auburn team went on to finish 8-5 and fell to #23 in the end of season rankings soooooooooo
nu awlins ag
AG
JimbosHatBarelyFits said:

Kellen mond ahead of Reggie is INSANE

Not insane, but effing stupid!!!! Reggie was a pure passer when he arrived and left as an RPO QB drafted as a receiver.
Saint Pablo
People love to hate Kellen, but this feels pretty accurate. Kind of sad looking back at how mediocre that list is. I could not imagine what people on this board would be like if Mond dropped a game to Arkansas State (McGee), blew 5 double digit halftime leads in a year (Tannehill), or posted a losing record in his senior year (Reggie). Other than JFF could any multi year starter come close to Mond's 23-10 record?
Traveler
AG
JJxvi said:

Johnny Manziel
Reggie McNeal
Trevor Knight
Ryan Tannehill
Stephen McGee
Kellen Mond
Jerrod Johnson
Kenny Hill
Dustin Long
Kyle Allen
Mark Farris

I'm not with you on McNeal, but WAY with you on Trevor Knight - he absolutely BAILED this team out that year, considering what happened in the off-season. And look at the games he was out/injured. We lost to Wake Forest, ffs.

Also, realize that Stephen is a great guy, unbelievably tough, but sorry, Franchione absolutely TRASHED Stephen at QB - CDF turned him into a run-first option QB, and almost got him murdered. His 2007 win against tu will always have a place in my heart, but McGee is one of the many tragic things of the CDF era ...

Reggie - another "what could have been" guy if he only had competent coaching ... to put him ahead of Mond is silly, imo.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Traveler said:

I'm not with you on McNeal, but WAY with you on Trevor Knight - he absolutely BAILED this team out that year, considering what happened in the off-season. And look at the games he was out/injured. We lost to Wake Forest, ffs.
We lost to Wake Forest 55-52 in the 2017 Music City Bowl. Trevor Knight was gone after the 2016 season, but he absolutely bailed out the team in 2016. He led us to a 31-24 overtime win over UCLA on 9/3/16 and a 45-38 double overtime win over Tennessee on 10/8/16. He got injured in the first half of a 35-28 loss at 6-7 Mississippi State and was out during a 29-28 loss to Ole Miss. I believe if Knight had not gotten injured we would have beaten both Mississippi teams, but our defense had been declining since the Tennessee game. He came back for our final regular season game against LSU and the Texas Bowl against Kansas State, but we lost both games to finish 8-5 for the third consecutive year after a 6-0 start.

In our first four games against Power 5 teams, we held UCLA to 24 points, Auburn to 16 points, Arkansas to 24 points, and South Carolina to 13 points. After that, we allowed 33+ points five times and lost four of those games. That downward defensive trend continued into 2017, when we allowed 35+ points six times and lost five of them. After the win over Tennessee, we did not beat a Power 5 team again until we defeated Arkansas 50-43 in overtime on 9/23/17. We went 50 weeks or 350 days between Power 5 wins in 2016 and 2017, mostly because of a declining defense under defensive coordinator John Chavis.

agrams
AG
the sad part is what pur coaches have done to talented QB's. reggie and stephen played well in spite of bad coaching and lackluster talent on the team.

I feel mond plays poorly in spite of having arguably better supporting staff. mond was at his best when Trayvon was running. as a pass first offense, mond isnt the guy.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
agrams said:

the sad part is what pur coaches have done to talented QB's. reggie and stephen played well in spite of good coaching and lackluster talent on the team.

I feel mond plays poorly in spite of having arguably better supporting staff. mond was at his best when Trayvon was running. as a pass first offense, mond isnt the guy.
Did you mean reggie and stephen played well in spite of bad coaching and lackluster talent on the team?
NoahAg
It's hard to compare different eras and coaching staffs. Also, you have to differentiate between on-field success and talent. Clearly, JFF is at the top of both lists. After that it gets murky.

Reggie, under Sumlin's or even Sherman's system could have been an All-American Heisman contender. Dude had more talent than anyone on the list, save JFF.

I'll always appreciate Knight for bailing us out when kyle and kyler quit. But it's not accurate to call him a "good" QB.

McGee actually adapted well to Fran's option system. But he would have been a great Aggie QB had he had 4 years under Sherman instead.

Mostly, what this shows is an underwhelming history of Aggie QB recruitment and development.
wangus12
AG
I think Knight had a pretty good season until he got hurt. Fantastic leader.
lil_frog8
AG
nevermind
agrams
AG
yeah.. fixed that.. hah
fightinag
Where is Bucky Richardson....certainly above Mond who should sit around 13 or 14.......and they key words are HE SHOULD SIT !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
Saint Pablo
NoahAg said:

Mostly, what this shows is an underwhelming history of Aggie QB recruitment and development.
Rooster4Ag
AG
Jesus bro read
agrams
AG
he doesn't qualify to be in this discussion.
infinity ag
I'm waiting for Jimbo to being in a top class QB.
King? Maybe. But he hasn't played yet.
Johnny Goodbull
AG
No Vance Smith?!
Loftin
AG
1. Johnny Football - no justifications needed
2. Ryan Tannehill - criminally underrated
3. Reggie McNeal - Amazing player whose career was derailed by Fran
4. Trevor Knight - not perfect, but absolutely salvaged what would've been a really rough season

...big drop off after these 4. Dustin Long(SHSU) and Kyler Murray(OU) could be credited for what they did after Texas A&M, but I can't rate them high based on what they did here.
NavyVetAg
That list is bull crap!

- Stephen McGee
DW91AG95
AG
Would have loved to see Reggie play with KK as OC.

Also, how good of a fit could Stephen have been with Mazzone? Alot of horizontal passes, QB runs out of the RPO then take a shot over the top. I think that would have fit McGee pretty well.
SilverTongueDevil
sad thing about this is that most of these QB's last year was not their best. I'm expecting the same from Mond.
Saint Pablo
Almost all of them...
JFF
Tanny
Jerrod
Ol Rock
AG
Loftin said:

1. Johnny Football - no justifications needed
2. Ryan Tannehill - criminally underrated
3. Reggie McNeal - Amazing player whose career was derailed by Fran
4. Trevor Knight - not perfect, but absolutely salvaged what would've been a really rough season

...big drop off after these 4. Dustin Long(SHSU) and Kyler Murray(OU) could be credited for what they did after Texas A&M, but I can't rate them high based on what they did here.

Dustin Long was a revelation and a very talented passing QB. He was also the victim of bad timing. Reggie took over and the rest was history. Wish I could have seen him play more. Reggie was amazing.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.