Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Football Forum

8,227 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by zephyr88
Cramp00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
IMO Staff has chosen to allow the disparaging posters to continue for fear of losing users. Looks like they've lost the football fan users instead.
Aggies2009
AG
TheAngelFlight said:

Quote:

That's the thing, though. The athletes don't just "have a different view". They've decided to label people as awful things like racists. Framing it as athletes simply "having different views" but people who disagree "making personal attacks" is just incorrect.

The politics board didn't just bleed into this forum on its own. The athletes were the ones who decided to bring politics into football. Ergo, political discussion (and everything that goes with it) has bled over. Don't like it? Pressure athletes not to bring politics into things. But as it is, THEY opened the door to this.

That said, I wish more people would just mock it and move on, and not let it affect them to the point they just want to give up on things they love.
This board is chaulk full of folks who have made sweeping accusations that everyone associated with black lives matter and the current social justice movement are "racist." And the rejoinder when its suggested they let up on those "awful things" is always along the lines of what you just said: "well, that athlete [that doesn't post here] started it."

Its unrelenting. It doesn't matter where a thread starts, they nearly all quickly turn into the same old fight. And the fights are increasingly hyperbolic, unhelpful, and down right nasty. It is toxic.

And the most Politics Board aspect of it is that no one seems to want to admit their own role in it and take responsibility for themselves, lest they feel like they're weak on the issue.

And the people who made the blanket statement that BLM and the social justice movement are all "racists" are just as deserving of criticism for painting with a broad brush (though I haven't seen it here the way I saw it from our athletes on Twitter... I'm sure it exists, though). I'm not condoning that, but I am saying that if people are upset that politics are on the football forum, blame the athletes for turning sports political. Most people would've been overjoyed to enjoy sports without any political discussion, but that's a thing of the past, thanks to athletes and moreso to the media who decided that that was the only story worth telling.

Aggies2009
AG
Cramp00 said:

IMO Staff has chosen to allow the disparaging posters to continue for fear of losing users. Looks like they've lost the football fan users instead.
TexAgs is a business like anything else. I'm sure they've run the numbers and want to keep the paying customers happy. Sadly, things are super divisive now and it's a no-win situation for most businesses, TexAgs included. No matter what anyone does, they're going to piss off a large percentage of their customers. So all they can do is try to cater to those who consume their product most. I ended my subscription ages ago, and TexAgs decided that what made me unhappy was more important to them than my subscription, which is fair- no hard feelings.
TyperWoods
Cramp00 said:

Because we are all open to speak, as long as we agree with the "everything is great, you people that disagree suck" crowd.

TexAgs is very much a victim here. The collateral damage brought on by injecting politics into sports is immense.

Gunny456
AG
Sorry fella. You don't have to be an older Aggie to have it "rub you wrong". You are part of the problem if what the BLM and the supporters of such are doing to this country does not " rub you wrong".
If anyone wants to fundamentally change A&M and call to defund the Corp of Cadets, football player or not it " rubs me wrong".
Sorry.
AggieOO
i lightly complain, but i don't subscribe, so i can't complain too much. That said, staff (and not just the staff covering the football board) have made it very clear who they are supporting by the post deletions and what they allow to stay up. What I don't get is why both sides are not allowed to voice opinions equally. Or better yet, why all the debating is even allowed, though I'm sure its partly b/c removing all of it would be too time intensive at this point. However, this board is a business and they can do and support what they wish. I've literally been on TexAgs since the day it launched, and I've recently been poking around on competing boards to try and find somewhere less political to read about Aggie Football. I don't pay, so TexAgs won't miss me if I go...and that's fine.
agz win
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

I agree with both of you. I continue to watch NBA, MLB, NFL,and college football games, but I ignore messages about social justice.
This. I pivot to avoid the messaging to enjoy the sporting competition.

Aggie_Nuke
AG
TexAggie1999 said:

Space-Tech said:

When every other thread is denigrating Aggie football players because they choose to support and issue that rubs the older Aggies the wrong way and that they "should be grateful for the free education they receive" as if that somehow forfeits all their other rights as a human being, it gets pretty tiresome.

Take Mond. He should be criticized for his inconsistent passing, questionable awareness, and overall playmaking ability. Not his stance on BLM, or his Confederate ancestry, as if he somehow had some say in who his ancestors were.

Or Ausbon. Ranked #3 in the 30 players in 30 days and now that he opted out even on the TexAgs radio show they were backtracking on him, saying "maybe he's top 10, but not top 5". And of course he's being roasted here in the forums as being a "quitter" and that's among the nicer things said about him along with Hines.

Texags was always a contentious space, especially between the sunshine pumpers and the pot bangers. But Covid-19 and the death of George Floyd and the resulting social justice movement has brought on the full toxicity of F16 into nearly every forum and a relatively small cohort of forum members will vehemently denounce and reject anyone who opposes their viewpoints.

Targeted flagging, being called a troll or alt of a banned user, and vague threats have made the zoo just too toxic to deal and it has drained all the fun out of these forums.

The athletes brought politics and the "social justice" movement into sports, not the fans. Politics are divisive. This BLM movement is devisive. The athlete's actions have caused this.

While it sucks politics got into sports, I applaud the many fans for standing against the athletes. It is great to see people valuing their beliefs over some self absorbed people playing games. College and professional sports just really are not that important when weighed against the issues we have in this country. I wish sports and those issues could have remained separated, but the Social Justice Warrior athletes and the scared league commissioners wouldn't let that happen.

Sports were great entertainment. However, when the athletes brought politics into sports, it became less entertaining and more important that fans who don't agree with the athletes push back. It is not all fun and games anymore.

Every professional league has fully embraced BLM's manufactured and ill focused "movement." I hope the NBA, NFL, and MLB face massive repercussions and loss of revenue as they alienate and anger much of their fanbase.

It remains to be seen how far the Aggies, the SEC, and college football push the "social justice" movement. For now, i don't support Mond and those athletes that have suggested Aggies who don't support their liberal agenda are racists. If the Aggie athletic department also pushes that agenda, I will be against them as well.

Because of the athletes actions, football and politics are no longer separate. They are intertwined. It should be expected that the Football Forum has changed.

Excellent and cogent commentary ! I agree with you 100% ! Gig 'em !

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
TXAggie2011
AG
The Politics Board is toxic in regards to the language, attitudes, and posting styles that thrive on it. But when its hyperbolic and vitriolic posts dominate the "top posts of the day", you can certainly see why a private company isn't going to run a tight ship despite its stated policies.
Krautag81
Alpha Texan said:

That good right there!
rootube
AG
If you are impressed by the "They started it" argument you should check out the politics board there are loads of hot takes like that. I hope the politics brigade will crawl back in their hole once actual football starts. I just hope Mind lights it up so they can suffer in silence.
Charlie 31
AG
We lost our AggSwagg!
Slamn Sharpe
rootube said:

If you are impressed by the "They started it" argument you should check out the politics board there are loads of hot takes like that. I hope the politics brigade will crawl back in their hole once actual football starts. I just hope Mind lights it up so they can suffer in silence.
Aggies2009
AG
rootube said:

I hope that Mond lights it up as well. I've always liked him and the effort he's out forward. Heck, I've been called a "Mond goaltender" more times than I can count the last 2 years. I'm glad he seems focused and am excited to watch him play.

That said, "who started it" is directly relevant to the topic/complaint at hand. As I said, most everyone would've been happy to enjoy their sports without politics. But the athletes, commentators, media, and many posters on this forum seemingly wanted it. Or at the very least didn't speak out against it. So now it's part of the conversation.

Don't complain now that the sleeping giant was woken and people have gotten sick of it and are deciding to speak out. You had every chance to condemn it before but didn't. Sorry that things aren't going your way now.
bv86ag
AG
Never fear talking football...in a couple weeks when Bama beats us like a drum...and we lose to one of the Miss schools...then Mond gets blown out by Auburns 2nd year QB...and we lose to Florida and LSU and Tenn...the BAS will rise up again..like clockwork.
And if you snowflake BLM supporters thi nk the criticism of Mond and the players is bad now...just wait...you might as well avert you eyes from this sight until next year...their failures will be under an electron microscope magnification level and scrutiny this year.
They brought it on themselves.
zephyr88
AG
otni said:

More and more, F16=TexAgs now.

It's become a tiresome place.
F16 being "political" didn't bring down the enthusiasm about football.

Football being "political" did it to itself.

All things will pass, given time.
schmendeler
AG
I think you're confusing "football players having political opinions" with "football getting political."
Aggies2009
AG
schmendeler said:

I think you're confusing "football players having political opinions" with "football getting political."

Not really?

Look at Gameday. Or watch any game- there's ALWAYS a segment carved out to talk BLM/politics.
zephyr88
AG
schmendeler said:

Not really... you been watching the other games so far - NFL & NCAA?

I'm just ready for all this craziness to pass and for football to be football again.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.