Story Poster
Photo by Lia Musgrave, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Texas A&M linebacker Anthony Hines opts out of 2020 season

September 20, 2020

Just six days before Texas A&M opens its football season, junior linebacker Anthony Hines announced via Twitter that he’s opting out.

Hines cited concerns about the COVID-19 pandemic and social justice issues for his decision.

Hines tweeted: “The last year has been a wild ride to say the least. With everything taking place in the world right now, from the pandemic, to the blatant injustices being committed towards people of color, it’s difficult to be 100% locked in to the game of football right now. I can’t help but see this time as an opportunity to try & make a difference in my community. With that being said, I have chosen to opt out of the 2020 football season.”

The timing of the announcement is surprising because A&M’s season is scheduled to begin on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. at Kyle Field against Vanderbilt.

The linebacker position was projected as an area of strength with Hines and linebacker Buddy Johnson returning as starters. Instead, it becomes a position of concern. Hines’ slot figures to be filled by either senior Aaron Hansford or sophomore Andre White.

In backup roles last season, both posted 15 tackles. Hansford was credited with 3 tackles for loss and White with 2.5.

A four-star prospect and top recruit from in A&M’s 2017 recruiting class, Hines was named to the SEC All-Freshman team that year after accumulating 33 tackles and 3 sacks.

He appeared in just one game in 2018 before sustaining a knee injury that prematurely ended his season.

However, he came back strong last season to post 73 tackles, which was the second-highest total on the team.

Hines is the fifth A&M player to opt out. Receiver Jhamon Ausbon, cornerback Elijah Blades, safety Derrick Tucker and quarterback James Foster have also declined to play this season.

Discussion from...

Texas A&M linebacker Anthony Hines opts out of 2020 season

9,766 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Krautag81
Sunshine State Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Go thru 6 weeks of grueling camp to quit 6 days before season starts? He was getting outplayed.
Ifishandlie
AG
Bad decision. We'll only if he's wanting to play football in the future
Slyfox07
AG
Probably wasn't starting
rffon
AG
Welp, linebacker corps takes another hit and the season hasn't even started. Hope some youngsters can step up.
United States Submarine Service...run silent, run deep.
DGAG92
AG
Stopped reading at, " to the blatant injustices being committed towards people of color,"
northeastag
AG
So how does this work again? I understood that athletes are getting an additional year of eligibility whether they opt out or not, right? If that is correct, then what is the rationale for these guys opting out, other than fear of Covid (Which I would certainly understand)?

Honest question, am I right? Or does the additional year only come when one opts out? Kind of like an additional red shirt.
TyperWoods
Bjork proud of this decision?
Gord89
AG
I respect his decision, except for the fact that he made it with only 6 days until the first game. That's selfish and hurts his entire team...Unless he made it clear to the coaches and his teammates much earlier than 1 week prior to kickoff.
strbrst777
Well, I in a coin-flip type decision, I opted in for a pair of season tickets. If I had another shot at it, I would opt out! "Wait till next year!" I'm inclined to forget about next year.
cageybee77
AG
Respecting his decision....next man up!
mijo93
Don't let the door hit you in the Ass Hines....what a coward n sorry excuse for a man. To leave your team hanging out to dry
Mijo 93
aggieclay
rffon said:

Welp, linebacker corps takes another hit and the season hasn't even started. Hope some youngsters can step up.

Another? Who else?
texagg761
AG
Do they have to leave the school immediately?
BQDrummer85
AG
What exactly is he going to do to help with the so called "injustices being committed towards people of color"?

All these young people feel like they need a cause to support to bring meaning to their life. A lot of these "injustices" turn out to be not as true as the media presents them to be. But that would require critical thinking, obviuosly something not being done to further a possible NFL career either.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
I will be watching Hines and Tucker to see the impact they make with The Community to solve this racial problem.

Tucker is from Manvel and Hines from Plano. Let's see what they accomplish in their endeavors to make progress.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Hansford is a good lb, and probably a bigger blitzing threat. White is solid. It just means we are not proven 2 deep. Also hurts on punt and ko teams.
Foxo
AG
BQDrummer85 said:

What exactly is he going to do to help with the so called "injustices being committed towards people of color"?

All these young people feel like they need a cause to support to bring meaning to their life. A lot of these "injustices" turn out to be not as true as the media presents them to be. But that would require critical thinking, obviuosly something not being done to further a possible NFL career either.
He is going to convince young men not to become criminals.
WC94
AG
I hope we don't become the Missouri west of the SEC.
Krautag81
What a load of BS, once a quitter, always a quitter.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.