Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

This is the Beginning of the End

10,534 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Complete Idiot
oklaunion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If this actually comes to fruition, I'm thinking several of the college coaches who are financially set and finally able to enjoy an autumn of hunting and fishing and not having to deal with the drama which has unfolded recently will retire.
samhoustonag
The Chicken Ranch said:

Maybe we could get back to having true student athletes.
Get rid of the current crop and open up tryouts. No scholarships.

Worked for a long time.
Quote:

samhoustonag
In reply to The Chicken Ranch 8:00a

Quote:

The Chicken Ranch said:
Maybe we could get back to having true student athletes.
Get rid of the current crop and open up tryouts. No scholarships.

Worked for a long time.

I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE!

Do away with athletic scholarships. Put the money toward more academic scholarships...BASED ON MERIT....not skin color or gender...
HighwaySix
AG
The idolatry of sports has manifested into what we are witnessing today. Throw in the Marxist agitators of BLM and Antifa, and it is a recipe for disaster. Over hyped, over paid, over indulged programs including players, coaches, staff and administration have contributed to the building bubble that is about to explode. If we take a step back and acknowledge that we have forsaken the real important things in life for a fantasy, then we can work at getting our lives back in balance the way it is supposed to be. God, family, others. Tim Tebow was shamed for taking a stand for Christ. We need more Tim Tebows. Our answer to "No justice, no peace" should be "No Jesus, no peace. Know Jesus, know peace."
OldCorpsTerd86
AG
I'm ready for Big Football to come to an end. When I watch the FCS teams as well as D2 teams, it seems as if they have just as much fun as we did as students. Yes, we all want the world to look at us when we wear our school colors. But since the advent of tshirt fans who've never stepped foot on a campus (eg LSU and BAMA), the luster of a natty has begun to wear off. The service acadmies' pride is not on athletics and they're doing just fine. Let's find something else to be proud of.
I am here for the comments.
milner79
HighwaySix said:

Tim Tebow was shamed for taking a stand for Christ. We need more Tim Tebows. Our answer to "No justice, no peace" should be "No Jesus, no peace. Know Jesus, know peace."
It is only possible to shame Tebow if he feels shame for his faith stance. Which clearly he does not. You are correct, a lot of people tried to shame Tebow. But he was and is steadfast. God bless him.

Good message, HighwaySix.
_mpaul
AG
W said:

if we're honest...a correction is needed.

and it starts with the salaries of the coaching staffs
That's an opinion, although one with which I happen to agree. But any correction has to start on the demand side of the equation by the fans. As long as fans "care" to the magnitude they have in recent years, coaching salaries are going to keep increasing at a exponential rate.
BrotherChad
AG
HighwaySix said:

The idolatry of sports has manifested into what we are witnessing today. Throw in the Marxist agitators of BLM and Antifa, and it is a recipe for disaster. Over hyped, over paid, over indulged programs including players, coaches, staff and administration have contributed to the building bubble that is about to explode. If we take a step back and acknowledge that we have forsaken the real important things in life for a fantasy, then we can work at getting our lives back in balance the way it is supposed to be. God, family, others. Tim Tebow was shamed for taking a stand for Christ. We need more Tim Tebows. Our answer to "No justice, no peace" should be "No Jesus, no peace. Know Jesus, know peace."
Callate Donnie
Wow, TexAgs. Wow.
ClearlyJustSomeAg
AG
It must be so exhausting to be some of y'all.
Mort Rainey
HighwaySix said:

jeffdjohnson
The concept of amateur athletics existed in a time before billion dollar TV contracts, half billion dollar stadiums and advertisement deals. The current model is straight out of the mid-19th century and is extremely dated. The universities can't talk about "amateurism" on the one hand while attempting to monetize everything on the other. It rings hollow. I'm not sure what the appropriate answer is but if we want college football to continue as it has been then we need to find a more equitable solution.
who?mikejones
AG
It's time to reduce the size of college athletics. It's gotten too big for its britches.

There are two options:

1. A player accepts a scholarship and it's associated benefits in exchange for playing a sport on behlaf of the school. Their compensation is the value of the scholarship. The end.

2. Get rid of scholarships and move to an ivy league model. Pay to play.

If a prospect isnt willing to agree to either of these options, they can go somewhere else. If their is a market for it, a developmental league will be created whether it be something such as the xfl or a nfl sponsored program.

I will add, a developmental league is a far worse deal for the vast majority of players, imo. You trade out a degree for a small salary with no guarantee of success. There's no guarantee for a college athlete either, but at least there is the opportunity to set oneself up for life if taken advantage of.

If it's similar to baseball's setup, the pay will be pretty poor for most of the players and most will probably not sniff the top level of their sport.

Will the quality of college athletics suffer? Sure they will. But, it's relative.

In my view, it is the only way forward. The ncaa and/or school isnt going to be able to pay for a unionized athletic group.

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
who?mikejones said:

It's time to reduce the size of college athletics. It's gotten too big for its britches.

There are two options:

1. A player accepts a scholarship and it's associated benefits in exchange for playing a sport on behlaf of the school. Their compensation is the value of the scholarship. The end.

2. Get rid of scholarships and move to an ivy league model. Pay to play.

If a prospect isnt willing to agree to either of these options, they can go somewhere else. If their is a market for it, a developmental league will be created whether it be something such as the xfl or a nfl sponsored program.

Will the quality of college athletics suffer? Sure they will. But, it's relative.

In my view, it is the only way forward. The ncaa and/or school isnt going to be able to pay for a unionized athletic group.

Bingo. When you start to sacrifice the things that make the school special for the sake of the almighty dollar, it's over.
Can't do yells at a point during the game because you gotta show commercials on the jumbotron? Screw you.
Can't have the Aggie band play during a portion of the game because you gotta have the DJ play? Screw you?
rickeyrollin
In regards to Mort Rainey.
You nailed it Mort! Give yourself a gold star with a red, white and blue ensemble. No one else had the stones to tell the truth about what's happening. So, thank you. I have an equal love for the game. Your comment is very refreshing in hearing the truth. It almost reminds me of the old children's riddle about "the king has no clothes" and everyone is to scared to say it. Remember?
rickeyrollin
Complete Idiot
tin foil alert
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.