Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Have we as 12th Man Foundation members enabled this behavior?

8,698 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Aint Like It Ustabe
PikesPeakAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have created a circumstance where there is a tremendous sense of entitlement with almost zero realization for some athletes of what it means to attend Texas A&M university. Granted their experience is different than the rest of us, as it is skewed by the sport they participate in, but how many feel the struggles, financially and other, that so many others do? Many of us leave what has been the greatest and friendliest place on earth with decades long loan obligations. As a first generation minority college student many years ago, Texas A&M allowed me to pursue a future that would impact my immediate family and many more.

I have stated previously I have no stand on the Sully statue. My opinion on that is that all Aggies vote on what if anything should happen and those in the minority respectfully accept the vote of the Aggie majority. I am completely for free speech but some of the behavior of the scholarship athletes is a little difficult to comprehend. I am now for revoking scholarships. If they actually want to stay here, take on loans like many of us have, and act like they want to be here. It is unreasonable to expect so many 12th Man members whom they call racist, simply because they don't agree with one of their positions, to turn around, ignore that insult, and continue to pay for these student athlete's education and the opportunity to develop their athletic skills.

If this season is cancelled, I will ask for a 100% refund. After 20+ years of giving it's time to reassess how much if any we want to give. In my opinion, there should be some Aggie specific community service obligation tied to these scholarships moving forward. We are all apart of the same community and clearly those bonds need to be strengthened.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TempleAg97
AG
Outstanding post. I encourage you to send that as an email to Chancellor Sharp, President Young, AD Bjork, and Jimbo Fischer.
annie88
AG
Quote:

I am now for revoking scholarships. If they actually want to stay here, take on loans like many of us have, and act like they want to be here. It is unreasonable to expect so many 12th Man members whom they call racist, simply because they don't agree with one of their positions, to turn around, ignore that insult, and continue to pay for these student athlete's education and the opportunity to develop their athletic skills.
Me too.

Ten years ago these players would be kicked off the team, now our administration is bowing down to them.

Sick.
W
AG
A&M sold its soul to the football devil 40 years ago.

the players know they have leverage...and they are using it
VatoLocoAggie
Money talks.
BMA money screams.

Do not donate to the 12th.
When donations drop, then these multi-millionaire Fat cat leaders will be forced to do something.

Is a slightly above average QB who is surrounded by talent really worth all this?

Fisher and Bjork need to start earning their Aggie millions.

I bet dollars to donuts that if Fisher or his coaches call a play and Mond don't like it and changes it, they won't say anything. Mond is the real leader of this team. Fisher ain't nothing but a puppet face. He is scared of Mond. It's his team.
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!
strbrst777
I was among the first to renew two 2020 season tics and make the donation. I may be among the first to take the full refund option if season is cancelled. My interest has dropped like a rock. I don't much care. Never did I think that would be possible. It is possible! As a former student and former Corps member, I may soon be a former
fan and donor. Apologies by KM and some others can make things right.
PabloSerna
AG
PikesPeakAg said:

We have created a circumstance where there is a tremendous sense of entitlement with almost zero realization for some athletes of what it means to attend Texas A&M university.
Where to begin?

As the saying goes, I don't know you from Adam - but I read from this statement - that you feel powerful to the point of taking credit for other people's enlightenment. Maybe, they came to this realization on their own? In spite of yours and mine - involvement. All because they disagree with you about a statue.

It would seem that you are ready to take back that 'power' by withholding your money - which is your prerogative. But I fail to see how it will change these students opinion about how they are perceived - take a listen to what they are saying. I would argue that you are in fact proving them correct.

+Pablo

NomadicAggie
AG
PabloSerna
AG
NomadicAggie said:

The athletes are free to think and say whatever they want, that what the First Amendment is all about.

The point here is that a growing chorus of people don't want that done on their dime any longer. Don't ask for my money, then piss on my leg.
So what you are saying to 5 star HS athletes is "just stick to sports" - "don't become self-aware" - GOT IT!

Lol - that's not gonna happen.
greg.w.h
AG
I'm all in favor of returning to a losing tradition with all white athletes or with Blacks who "know their place." But it's probably better not to say that or allude to it out loud...sounds racist.

I'll note: my scholarship benefactors didn't agree with all my decisions in school. But took no effort to pull my scholarship. I paid for a fifth year to finish my degree. It was mostly a remedial year finishing classes I had failed simply due to not turning in work because it was dumb. I registered my displeasure, finished the classes, and they later adjusted the curriculum in a way that took into consideration some of my concerns.

It's possible to have a conversation without kowtowing. Even with folks who disagree with you and call you names like two percenter. And usually the name callers are proud of you after the fact for having a spine. But before the fact they aren't. Having a spine changes their minds.
NomadicAggie
AG
PikesPeakAg
AG
Greg, I don't know how much if any of your post is sarcasm but not sure what race has to do with it. Let's say Player A Is provided a full scholarship to Texas A&M. Football is the easiest example. He is able to attend the university and play athletically without some of the concerns of a non athlete student. (He definitely won't be worrying about leaving the university with $80 - $100,000 in loans) Something happens where he doesn't start, he has a falling out with a coach, whatever. Simply put he can then transfer to another school likely on another scholarship. Player A has less of an attachment to the university than the non athlete student who is making a conscious decision to take on more debt to stay at A&M.

Nick Starkle is somewhat of an example in that he has changed universities twice, except that he was a grad transfer the first time. Some players just look at the school simply as a place to play their sport. Others clearly do not. Donor's give money so that others can have the opportunity to attend Texas A&M, earn a degree and experience everything Texas A&M. The 12th man foundation doesn't distribute funds based on race, sex, or other factors. Some scholarship recipients develop their skills to the point of making it pro for big paydays. Congrats to them!

My original question was, are we enabling some of the disturbing behavior seen by giving full scholarships? Maybe we have made it to easy to be seen as a place to play a sport and not a community to be a part of. I am not bothered by the free speech rhetoric but bowing up to another older Ag to instigate a fight. What is that? Why is that? I don't have an answer for that. Also A&M donors give irrespective of race, gender, or sex. It's wrong to insult and call them racist because of a difference of opinion. Again, I don't care about Sully, but why are they calling any Ag a racist when he/she has supported them without hesitation because they are Aggies. I travel the world extensively and I will say it is hard to find a place with people as genuine and nice as A&M.

I will submit I have never experienced racism, which was not the intent of the original post but somehow some people always end up there. Racism, as I define it, is what my parents dealt with as immigrants on a small degree and the horrible segregation policies that existed before my time. It was the failure to acknowledge someone as human because of their skin color and depriving them of opportunities in life or even life. The jokes and wise cracks from friends about my family heritage over my lifetime were just that - wise cracks. They are not racist and those comments affected me zero. Today's racism according to A&M students is different. It can be wearing Mexican garb on the Cinco de Mayo. There probably are a few nuts who are truly racist that need to be dealt with. A&M needs to remain a friendly open place.

BTW, my kids can't flip me off and then turn around ask me to fund things for them. Technically they can but the results likely won't be good. Having them pay for their own stuff actually is good for them. Similarly, having some of our student athletes invest in themselves might not necessarily be a bad idea.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
sotexag79
AG
Naively I think many of us felt the athletes loved the traditions and integrity of aTm as much as we do. That is obviously not the case. I supported the football team because I love A&M, not football. Those that want to destroy the traditions for fear of insulting the players that have attacked this University and its traditions for the game of football will soon find they have neither. STOP with all donations now we must send a message. Bench out Kyle Field
PabloSerna
AG
greg.w.h said:

I'm all in favor of returning to a losing tradition with all white athletes or with Blacks who "know their place." But it's probably better not to say that or allude to it out loud...sounds racist.

I'll note: my scholarship benefactors didn't agree with all my decisions in school. But took no effort to pull my scholarship. I paid for a fifth year to finish my degree. It was mostly a remedial year finishing classes I had failed simply due to not turning in work because it was dumb. I registered my displeasure, finished the classes, and they later adjusted the curriculum in a way that took into consideration some of my concerns.

It's possible to have a conversation without kowtowing. Even with folks who disagree with you and call you names like two percenter. And usually the name callers are proud of you after the fact for having a spine. But before the fact they aren't. Having a spine changes their minds.
Please explain "Blacks who 'know their place'" lest I presume too much.

+pablo
PabloSerna
AG
PikesPeakAg said:

My original question was, are we enabling some of the disturbing behavior seen by giving full scholarships? Maybe we have made it to easy to be seen as a place to play a sport and not a community to be a part of.
So when Kellen Mond says he is an "Aggie for Life" but is also in favor of making TAMU a better, more inviting place for people of color - this is enabling?? I see the exact opposite. I see a young man, a young Ag, taking part in his community.

+pablo

30wedge
PabloSerna said:

PikesPeakAg said:

My original question was, are we enabling some of the disturbing behavior seen by giving full scholarships? Maybe we have made it to easy to be seen as a place to play a sport and not a community to be a part of.
So when Kellen Mond says he is an "Aggie for Life" but is also in favor of making TAMU a better, more inviting place for people of color - this is enabling?? I see the exact opposite. I see a young man, a young Ag, taking part in his community.

+pablo

Mond inferred those who don't agree with him are racists.

+30wedge
TxAg76
AG
30wedge said:

PabloSerna said:

PikesPeakAg said:

+pablo

Mond inferred those who don't agree with him are racists.

+30wedge

And while he's talking plenty, he's not listening at all.
The narrative isn't allowing for any two way streets of meaningful dialogue to resolve anything.

What's worse is I think he's now backed into a corner.
This started, got national attention, which I'm betting got him a ton of people in his ear pushing him even harder....to a point where even if he DID pause and listen to reason, there's no way in hell he could alter his stance for fear of backlash from the BLM agenda and being criticized as an Uncle Tom
Spyderman
AG
Dunno about the 12thMan, but the recruiting process in general is not in the best interest of the student athlete.
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
Buford T. Justice
AG
Everyone is replaceable. No one has leverage.
khat79
AG
Are you sure Mond inferred it? Or did he imply it? Is it possible that you are inferring what Mond implied?

Pay more attention in the classroom and less to these petty statue debates...

Aggie for life, engineer for life, #SullySucks
RetiredpostalMarine
I see Pablo is still carrying Monds water.
I talk to him when I am lonesome like; and I am sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Just don't ask me to pay for it any longer. Kind of like if I don't like my employer I am free to leave and do what I want, but I shouldn't be surprised when they dismiss me when I publicly call them names and deface their property.

It is going to be interesting if all these threats turn out to be toothless and empty.. The likeliest outcome is that a very small and highly aggrieved minority do stop giving and no seems to notice or care. The athletic department carries on doing its thing as always.

I am curious if all the folks ready to burn it all down in the name of preserving tradition come slinking back at some point.
RetiredpostalMarine
So windy, do you give money to the 12TH Man foundation? I am assuming you do since you know that it is a small group threatening to keep their money.
I talk to him when I am lonesome like; and I am sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth
Windy City Ag
AG
I have . . yes. That is not the point. The point here is that a bluff is going to be called soon and what are you going to do if this "protest" yields nothing.? Will you walk away forever?
khat79
AG
Seriously, we've got like 10 easy games this year with a solid shot against lsu or bama.

Can you guys just shut up, stop caring about a dumb statue, and move forward?

Tannehill and Manziel (notable TAMU white qbs) also agree with Mond. Listen, nobody is as staunch a defender of statues, building, and street names as I am, but even I agree that Sully's record is pretty dismal.

Let's move on to what we should replace the statue with? A Manziel statue? Elsa Murano?
RetiredpostalMarine
What will you do if the BMA's call you and stop donating to the University? I'm sure their kids and grandkids would love to have extra money.
Hawk2007
Not trying to troll here as I have never and will likely never contribute towards TMF, but what is the refund policy? I mean, isn't TMF for all of the student athletes (even though realistically most Ags are donating for football)?

I just fear that it's viewed as a donation, even though it's sort of a forced donation so that you are eligible to buy certain seats in Kyle Field depending on tier and how long you've been doing it.
aprilmhooper
Yes that's exactly right, Pablo. Try doing that at your job and see where it gets you. Try showing up on national media, shouting and bullying old men and see what the HR department has for you. These kids are getting upwards of a quarter of a million dollar education, free. I paid for two out of state tuitions and know exactly what they get. What do they give in return... bullying old men.
khat79
AG
Mond is improving society. I feel this alone earns him his scholarship. It transcends what he does on the football field.

If you're not happy with what the 2020 TAMU students and professors and administration want to do to idiot Sully's statue, stop posting to TexAgs, close your checkbook, don't watch Aggie football anymore, and most importantly don't show up to defend Sully's statue. You're not a student anymore. It sounds like you are not an Aggie anymore either. Just stop doing this and do something else with your time.
Class of 65
AG
Who is mind?
khat79
AG
BAS65 said:

Who is mind?
Huh?
aginlakeway
AG
PikesPeakAg said:

We have created a circumstance where there is a tremendous sense of entitlement with almost zero realization for some athletes of what it means to attend Texas A&M university. Granted their experience is different than the rest of us, as it is skewed by the sport they participate in, but how many feel the struggles, financially and other, that so many others do? Many of us leave what has been the greatest and friendliest place on earth with decades long loan obligations. As a first generation minority college student many years ago, Texas A&M allowed me to pursue a future that would impact my immediate family and many more.

I have stated previously I have no stand on the Sully statue. My opinion on that is that all Aggies vote on what if anything should happen and those in the minority respectfully accept the vote of the Aggie majority. I am completely for free speech but some of the behavior of the scholarship athletes is a little difficult to comprehend. I am now for revoking scholarships. If they actually want to stay here, take on loans like many of us have, and act like they want to be here. It is unreasonable to expect so many 12th Man members whom they call racist, simply because they don't agree with one of their positions, to turn around, ignore that insult, and continue to pay for these student athlete's education and the opportunity to develop their athletic skills.

If this season is cancelled, I will ask for a 100% refund. After 20+ years of giving it's time to reassess how much if any we want to give. In my opinion, there should be some Aggie specific community service obligation tied to these scholarships moving forward. We are all apart of the same community and clearly those bonds need to be strengthened.

You can get a refund regardless. FWIW.

khat79
AG
aginlakeway said:

PikesPeakAg said:

People who are disappointed should just take a refund and leave. If you can't support Texas A&M any longer, we understand. There's no need to post about it or show up to the games if you don't want to. Just leave and move on with your lives. It is not worth the effort.

Proud member of the Fightin' Texas Aggie class of 2010!
aginlakeway
AG
khat79 said:

aginlakeway said:

PikesPeakAg said:

People who are disappointed should just take a refund and leave. If you can't support Texas A&M any longer, we understand. There's no need to post about it or show up to the games if you don't want to. Just leave and move on with your lives. It is not worth the effort.

Covid/the economy is a bigger reason for refunds right now.
khat79
AG
aginlakeway said:

khat79 said:

aginlakeway said:

PikesPeakAg said:

Covid/the economy is a bigger reason for refunds right now.
True, for some
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.