Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

A&M can stop corrupt officiating

10,958 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by annie88
APHIS AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The only way to fix the "bias" is for the NCAA to take full responsibility for all referring. Crews do not belong to the conferences which means that one crew that officiates the Alabama/Auburn game this week will be officiating the USC/UCLA game the next.

That may not eliminate bad referring but would eliminate any semblance of bias.
Mule
AG
Ubitag said:

We r not that good, blaming refs is what losers normally do.

Agree completely with your comment...but the game yesterday brought home that this issue is bigger than us being on the short end...it's about the INTEGRITY of the game. Lose that, and college football goes the way of boxing. People will lose interest...and that is a very expensive possibility.

The SEC and for that matter all conference commissioners need to address the weaknesses in the officiating system.
Texas Aggies
Not a Bot
AG
annie88 said:

Do officiating crews watch video from their games the week before and critique?

Do they actually understand what calls they missed and how blatant they were at times?

Are there any fines for missed calls?

Yes.

Yes.

Likely not unless there are errors so grevious that suspension is necessary. The case of the Miami/Duke ending comes to mind. The Oregon / Oklahoma game in 2006 I believe was very similar. Both resulted in the suspension of officials.

The Oklahoma versus Oregon game doesn't get talked about very much but it was one of the most egregious officiating errors. Oregon kicked an onside kick, Oklahoma recovered.

Somehow, the ball was awarded to Oregon on the field. Not only that, replays showed that Oregon actually touched the ball before it crossed 10 yards so even if they had recovered they would have had to kick again.

Somehow, the replay officials also gave Oregon the ball. Nothing about that made any sense. The replay official was suspended.
bmks270
AG
I've noticed the SEC refs let defenders get away with a lot more than refs in other leagues.
zephyr88
AG
We left the Big12-2 because of the sips and their cheating/collaboration with officiating, so we need to leave the SEC now?
S.A. Aggie
AG
APHIS AG said:

The only way to fix the "bias" is for the NCAA to take full responsibility for all referring. Crews do not belong to the conferences which means that one crew that officiates the Alabama/Auburn game this week will be officiating the USC/UCLA game the next.

That may not eliminate bad referring but would eliminate any semblance of bias.

Then it would be the NCAA would telling the refs which teams get screwed.
ashley
First it was UT and now it's the SEC holding us back. Maybe we could join the Southland Conference.
boxing after dark
AG
Maybe the officials will return the favor when we get "over the hump" and are in a position for a playoff bid.
TyperWoods
the crew that officiated the Georgia game is always bad

the league, doesn't matter which one, protects it's marquee teams

look at the NFL's example this year on overturning egregious PI calls has gone to see how well referees reviewing referees would work. Or even to the ref analyst on broadcasts. They rarely are overly critical of whatever the call outcome is.

WesMaroon&White
AG
Was this the same crew that officiated the Auburn game against us? In the TN /Missouri game, they were calling pass interference and I have seen it called on other SEC games.
turboboost
AG
Mule said:

Moxley said:

Someday AI will come into play but we are a ways off from that.

Hegalian dialectic
Get Off My Lawn
Id rather see schools provide open reports back to the league with their assessment of the officiating after each game. The most egregeous complaints (likely or certainly changed the outcome of the game) would be assessed by a commision of team assigned representatives.

Depending on the level of agreement and severity - the official gets blocked from a certain team, scolded, deprioritized, retrained, or an annotation in their report.
rootube
AG
Is this new? Since when did a game with some missed calls automatically turn into a conspiracy theory? I'm curious about the people wearing tin hats, how many have officiated a game before?
annie88
AG
Moxley said:

annie88 said:

Do they actually understand what calls they missed and how blatant they were at times?

Yes.

Yes.

Likely not unless there are errors so grevious that suspension is necessary. The case of the Miami/Duke ending comes to mind. The Oregon / Oklahoma game in 2006 I believe was very similar. Both resulted in the suspension of officials.

The Oklahoma versus Oregon game doesn't get talked about very much but it was one of the most egregious officiating errors. Oregon kicked an onside kick, Oklahoma recovered.

Somehow, the ball was awarded to Oregon on the field. Not only that, replays showed that Oregon actually touched the ball before it crossed 10 yards so even if they had recovered they would have had to kick again.

Somehow, the replay officials also gave Oregon the ball. Nothing about that made any sense. The replay official was suspended.
Interesting. Good there is some review.
annie88
AG
zephyr88 said:

We left the Big12-2 because of the sips and their cheating/collaboration with officiating, so we need to leave the SEC now?
SEC just as bad for Bama and others. And I don't agree we left for the cheating, we left mainly because of the Longhorn Network.
rootube
AG
I don't remember any egregious PI calls against us. To me, this means that they were probably just letting them play which OK I guess. Although, our offense was basically completely dependent on the pass which did put us at a disadvantage. The Auburn game was another one where they just weren't going to pull the flag out of their pocket for any reason other than an assault.
Eike Mlko
rambo_99 said:

Or we could just have better gameplans and play better.

Or the game plan was perfect and it went to crap when the refs blew 4 huge calls
Eike Mlko
ashley said:

First it was UT and now it's the SEC holding us back. Maybe we could join the Southland Conference.

Sip
psybj
After every game every coach submits his missed calls to the league and gets a response. Coach can also request and get an official banned from officiating his games but that is very limited. Coach gets feedback but cannot reveal.

Problem is that bama has a Sports Management program and those grads make up many/most of the SEC brass. Also a very disproportionate number of refs are from Alabama.

For decades SEC fans have beotched about favoritism toward bama.

Oh, LSU fans are convinced that Tamu was repeatedly saved by refs in the game last year.
psybj
Russ79
AG
I agree that the officiating shouldn't be blamed for a loss but by the play on the field, but in a close game where one score can make the difference, an overthrown pass or a back going the wrong way and getting tackled behind the line of scrimmage at least can be pointed to by the losing team as why they lost. There were at least three blatant non-calls, especially the face mask on the only play that Georgia scored the touchdown that wasn't called did change the outcome.
DayAg!
S
In a close game such as that it can damn sure make a difference. But everyone says. " If we score enough we dont have to worry about the refs." How assinine is that statement when the calls directly affected your ability to put points on the board and keep them from scoring. I swear, to be college educated some of you clowns shouldnt even post with some of the sheit you come up with.

Tight end being held on a pass for a first down on a drive that could have resulted in a touchdown is one. Facemask and defender damn near thrown to the ground and receiver catching a TD pass over that defender is one other. 14pt swing. So how the hell does that not count. You people should stick to something you understand cause football aint one of em.
"Poor soul, he was just too high strung. I'm afraid the strain was more than he could bear."
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Ubitag said:

We r not that good, blaming refs is what losers normally do.

Did you not watch the game on Saturday?
DWren
How does anyone star the OP.
Sounds like a spoiled little brat who doesn't get his way.

Life is not fair... deal with
Grow up and move on

kevmiller
Texas gets all the calls
Bama gets all the calls
Georgia gets all the calls

I see a pattern here

Our fan base is a bunch of whiney ass *****es

Picadillo
The SEC is a money laundering machine where officiating protects the favored team.
LJF78
annie88 said:

It's really amazing how little most of our fans know about college football.
annie88
AG
LJF78 said:

annie88 said:

It's really amazing how little most of our fans know about college football.

I know about football. Ive watched football for 50 years, 35 years as Aggie football ticket holders, many years as Oilers and Texans tickets.

I don't know as much about what the refs do and don't do between games or how it's organized, how they're chosen, are does anything happen with bad calls, etc.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.