Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Urban or Jimbo?

5,223 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
AggieHammer2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is a lot of talk about Urban Meyer coming back to coach CFB. Possibly FSU in fact once the Taggert debacle is over. Assuming Jimbo is not yet our coach and A&M had an endless reserve of cash would you rather Jimbo or Urban as your head coach?

I hate to say it, but I think I would go with Urban.
_mpaul
AG
I love Jimbo, but I would put Urban right up there with Saban as the best two coaches in the last 10 years. In my mind, Jimbo is in that second tier along with Chris Petersen and a handful of others.
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
Alpha Texan
AG
Tough call, if I was basing it only off accomplishments, I may lean towards Urban, but I love Jimbo's fit at A&M. The first coach I remember seeing on the sidelines is Sherman so I'm not gonna be ungrateful for Jimbo at all. After years of average seasons growing up, I'm still stoked to have a national championship caliber coach at Texas A&M. even if we don't turn the corner before I graduate, I trust Jimbo to take us to another level and I'll get to look back and remember my time here when this change happened.

Let's not be ungrateful for the coach we have.
rootube
AG
Please make this stop.
usmcbrooks
OP where are you hearing that? This is the only scuttlebutt I have heard.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/urban-meyer-cowboys-coaching-job-rumors

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/22/jerry-jones-its-a-compliment-for-urban-meyer-to-be-interested-in-cowboys-job/

Quote:

Cowherd followed up by asking whether Meyer would be interested if the Cowboys called him.

"Absolutely. Absolutely. That one? Yes," he said.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
NM
FriscoKid
AG
Yes, please make it stop.
PascalsWager
AG
Urban lucked into one national title at Ohio State.

Jimbo could easily match or better Urban's accomplishments at Ohio State.

Ryan Day will win 10 games annually at Ohio State.

Your mom could win 10 games at Ohio State.

International guy who's only played and followed rugby his whole life could win 10 games at Ohio State.

Because Ohio State is the easiest job in the country. Urban's accomplishments there are frankly kind of disappointing. His Florida resume is great. That was over 10 years ago. I'll take Jimbo. But gimme all of Ohio State's institutional advantages.
Evanhue
AG
It's a done deal. Urban is going to Miss State to prove to Dan Mullen that he can do what Mullen couldn't...(according to EliteDawgs)
counter subconscious espionage
vander54
S
Provide sources OP
Gyles Marrett
Amazing what two years can do to some people.

Jimbo doesn't have us in the playoff in year two and he's suddenly considered a second tier coach by some.

SMH. Ridiculous.
knoxtom
Pretty sure Urban to the cowboys is a smoke screen.

Urban to USC is a real deal and I would say if Helton fails to finish 9-4 then you will see Urban there next year.

Lincoln Riley will be the next coach of the Cowboys, only thing up in the air is when. If Garrett fails to win a playoff game this year, then I think he is out and Riley in. Garrett is a really poor coach, no one can deny that anymore.
Jock 07
AG
lot of usc folks I talk to out here talk as if urban to usc is all but a done deal
TexasAggie_97
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

Jimbo doesn't have us in the playoff in year two and he's suddenly considered a second tier coach by some.

SMH. Ridiculous.

He won't have us in the playoffs in the next 5 years either. As long as Saban is around he will run the SEC west with LSU winning every 3-4 years.
NoahAg
FSU could have a 3-headed coaching monster of Lombardi, Belichick, and Saban, and Bama could have me coaching from my couch and Bama would still win.
NoahAg
TexasAggie_97 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

SMH. Ridiculous.

He won't have us in the playoffs in the next 5 years either. As long as Saban is around he will run the SEC west with LSU winning every 3-4 years.
Not so fast my friend. If we went 11-1, with our lone loss being to alabama it's possible we would both be in the playoffs (depending on standings in other conferences).
greg.w.h
AG
knoxtom said:

Urban to USC is a real deal and I would say if Helton fails to finish 9-4 then you will see Urban there next year.

Lincoln Riley will be the next coach of the Cowboys, only thing up in the air is when. If Garrett fails to win a playoff game this year, then I think he is out and Riley in. Garrett is a really poor coach, no one can deny that anymore.
I have a difficult time imagining what it's like to work with the Jones family as head coach. I see very little to recommend them as capable of helping make coaches successful.

Because of that they get coaches that are very malleable. So it's up to them to develop the coaching.

I think Garrett did push for the strategy to get a better offensive line and they used a lot of high draft picks to pull that off. It makes a lot of sense because healthy linemen last longer than some skill players. But it also perpetually drives salary costs higher. And a tragic health situation or just chronic injury susceptibility puts a hole in the approach.

I'm a little skeptical of college coaches with zero NFL experience taking over as an NFL head coach. Which of course makes it a brilliant idea for the Bidwell and Jones families...
AggieHammer2000
AG
PascalsWager said:

Jimbo could easily match or better Urban's accomplishments at Ohio State.

Ryan Day will win 10 games annually at Ohio State.

Your mom could win 10 games at Ohio State.

International guy who's only played and followed rugby his whole life could win 10 games at Ohio State.

Because Ohio State is the easiest job in the country. Urban's accomplishments there are frankly kind of disappointing. His Florida resume is great. That was over 10 years ago. I'll take Jimbo. But gimme all of Ohio State's institutional advantages.
Don't forget Urban's Utah and Bowling Green resume either. That dude has a history of turning around crappy teams. He brings in his culture and they seem to win immediately. Let us not forget he beat A&M while at Utah.

What institutional advantages does Ohio St. have that we don't? Maybe easier schedule, but I think that is about it. Lord knows Ohio St killed us with some of the recruits they have poached out of Texas.

I have another question. Has Jimbo ever taken over a legit dumpster fire and turned it around? This is the one hole in his resume that bothers me.

For those asking about my sources. My sources are basically talk radio. I have no inside information other than listening to podcasts on long train rides.

Thought it might be a fun conversation. My apologies to those who think this thread is beneath them. Feel free to leave the thread if you want it to stop.
AggieHammer2000
AG
knoxtom said:

Urban to USC is a scary thought. If he can recruit like Carroll, USC will be back in no time.

Garrett is garbage, but as long as Jerry is running the Cowboys it doesn't matter who coaches them.
Jock 07
AG
AggieHammer2000 said:

Let us not forget he beat A&M while at Utah.

AGHouston11
AG
AggieHammer2000 said:

knoxtom said:

Urban to USC is a scary thought. If he can recruit like Carroll, USC will be back in no time.

Garrett is garbage, but as long as Jerry is running the Cowboys it doesn't matter who coaches them.

The Cowboys died to me when Jones treated Landry so terribly and how his firing was handled. Yes he reaped the initial rewards but that attitude caught up with him when he didn't think he needed Johnson.
halfastros81
AG
I thought Urban was being courted by the Redskins?

I Would rather Have Fisher for
Multiple reasons.
AggieHammer2000
AG
halfastros81 said:

Multiple reasons.
I assume he will be courted by many, many, teams.

What is your number 1 reason to prefer Fisher? Other than he is already here. I wouldn't say Fisher is the moral choice as he defended that dope Winston through many issues.
halfastros81
AG
Better cultural fit. More likely to stay in one spot if he succeeds . Just generally seems to me to be a more stable person.

As far as all the off-field stuff, Fisher may not be without fault but Urban, especially at Florida, the problems seemed to be systemic.
kentky
Well obviously Urban is the better coach.
Sumlins Pool Guy
Saban
Dabo
Urban

Everyone else
_mpaul
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

SMH. Ridiculous.
FWIW, this is the same thing I felt when we hired him, so at least for me it has nothing to do with the fact that we aren't in the playoff in year 2. To the contrary, I think the negativity on this board is ridiculous and this year's outcomes thus far were entirely predictable given the state of the roster and how long it takes to effect culture change in a football program.
Paper. An insane deer. Taco meat.
TopoTacos
AG
Urban is an elite coach and between Utah/UF/tOSU has as great a resume as anyone outside Saban... but between the Gainesville police scanners and the Zach Smith DV fiasco, and would definitely pass on him as a judge of character and a leader of young men.

Plus he's taking the ND job.
Gyles Marrett
TexasAggie_97 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

SMH. Ridiculous.

Well hell, what are we doing then. Let's just shut down the football program. There doesn't seem to be much point in playing.

Jesus Christ the woe is me attitude around here is insane. Bama isn't invincible. They can be beat even under Saban. Now you can't be a quitter to do so like you seem to be.
ebag02
AG
Urban is better and it's not even close. He's won 3 championships at two schools and had an undefeated season at Utah. His overall record is 187 - 32. Jimbo would have to go 91 - 2 from here on out to match that record.
Faustus
ebag02 said:

Urban is better and it's not even close. He's won 3 championships at two schools and had an undefeated season at Utah. His overall record is 187 - 32. Jimbo would have to go 91 - 2 from here on out to match that record.
That's doable.
AggieHammer2000
AG
ebag02 said:

So what you're saying is there's a chance!!!!!!
Gyles Marrett
AggieHammer2000 said:

halfastros81 said:

Multiple reasons.

What is your number 1 reason to prefer Fisher? Other than he is already here. I wouldn't say Fisher is the moral choice as he defended that dope Winston through many issues.
The Winston debacle rests 100% on the shoulders of the Tallahassee PD. Fisher was put in a ridiculous situation.

What do you think happens to Fisher if he kicks off the team the Heisman National Championship winning QB when the Tallahassee PD says they find "nothing". Administration and fanbase would have cruicified Jimbo. Probably would have been the end of him at FSU. If the PD had done their job instead of covering it up there's no doubt Fisher would have dismissed Winston.
AggieHammer2000
AG
Gyles Marrett said:

AggieHammer2000 said:

halfastros81 said:

Multiple reasons.

The Winston debacle rests 100% on the shoulders of the Tallahassee PD. Fisher was put in a ridiculous situation.

What do you think happens to Fisher if he kicks off the team the Heisman National Championship winning QB when the Tallahassee PD says they find "nothing". Administration and fanbase would have cruicified Jimbo. Probably would have been the end of him at FSU. If the PD had done their job instead of covering it up there's no doubt Fisher would have dismissed Winston.
Very true. However, the stealing of the crab legs and the "pop that p****!" outburst on campus on top of the allegations should have been enough.

I am not minimizing those UF teams though. Urban tolerated a murderer for ****s sake... not to mention the other *******s on those teams.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Quote:

Right now, it's looking like Jimbo lucked his way into one at FSU all because of one crab leg loving QB.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.