Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Urban or Jimbo?

5,209 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
AggieHammer2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

Quote:

Urban lucked into one national title at Ohio State.

Right now, it's looking like Jimbo lucked his way into one at FSU all because of one crab leg loving QB.
Speaking of lucking into a NC. My worst fear is Jimbo = Chizik. Truly nightmarish to think.

I am also pretty worried about what will be rolled out there against MSU this weekend. Combined with the early start time, the turnover habits and lack of discipline. These mistakes could really bite us in the @ss.
Demosthenes81
AG
Urban is going to the Cowboys. I saw it on the interwebs so it must be true right?
AggieHammer2000
AG
jxs40 said:

Urban is going to the Cowboys. I saw it on the interwebs so it must be true right?
The internet.com is never wrong.
agz win
AG
Neither.

Les Miles
AggieHammer2000
AG
agz win said:

Neither.

Les Miles
"Les" is not more in this case. I got Dad jokes for days....
agz win
AG
He's doing more with Les.
AggieHammer2000
AG
agz win said:

He's doing more with Les.
touche
Agvet12
AG
e.busche said:

Urban is an elite coach and between Utah/UF/tOSU has as great a resume as anyone outside Saban... but between the Gainesville police scanners and the Zach Smith DV fiasco, and would definitely pass on him as a judge of character and a leader of young men.

Plus he's taking the ND job.

Wrong there on all accounts....

ND opening would be scary because Elko would be a top candidate for it... his old LB assistant is the DC and would stay the DC essentially. One of the few times I'm rooting for ND to succeed because Elko would more than likely get the job (that and Michigan)
lil_frog8
AG
AggieHammer2000 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

AggieHammer2000 said:

halfastros81 said:

I thought Urban was being courted by the Redskins?

I Would rather Have Fisher for
Multiple reasons.
I assume he will be courted by many, many, teams.

What is your number 1 reason to prefer Fisher? Other than he is already here. I wouldn't say Fisher is the moral choice as he defended that dope Winston through many issues.
The Winston debacle rests 100% on the shoulders of the Tallahassee PD. Fisher was put in a ridiculous situation.

What do you think happens to Fisher if he kicks off the team the Heisman National Championship winning QB when the Tallahassee PD says they find "nothing". Administration and fanbase would have cruicified Jimbo. Probably would have been the end of him at FSU. If the PD had done their job instead of covering it up there's no doubt Fisher would have dismissed Winston.
Very true. However, the stealing of the crab legs and the "pop that p****!" outburst on campus on top of the allegations should have been enough.

I am not minimizing those UF teams though. Urban tolerated a murderer for ****s sake... not to mention the other *******s on those teams.
You forget that Winston was also a pitcher for baseball at FSU and was in season there during both of those incidents and should have been punished by his baseball coach on those situations.
Fighting Texas Aggie class of '04
TheBro
PascalsWager said:

Jimbo could easily match or better Urban's accomplishments at Ohio State.

Ryan Day will win 10 games annually at Ohio State.

Your mom could win 10 games at Ohio State.

International guy who's only played and followed rugby his whole life could win 10 games at Ohio State.

Because Ohio State is the easiest job in the country. Urban's accomplishments there are frankly kind of disappointing. His Florida resume is great. That was over 10 years ago. I'll take Jimbo. But gimme all of Ohio State's institutional advantages.
He lucked into it using his 3rd string QB. Day is playing with Urban's recruits.
TheBro
AggieHammer2000 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

AggieHammer2000 said:

halfastros81 said:

Multiple reasons.

What is your number 1 reason to prefer Fisher? Other than he is already here. I wouldn't say Fisher is the moral choice as he defended that dope Winston through many issues.
The Winston debacle rests 100% on the shoulders of the Tallahassee PD. Fisher was put in a ridiculous situation.

What do you think happens to Fisher if he kicks off the team the Heisman National Championship winning QB when the Tallahassee PD says they find "nothing". Administration and fanbase would have cruicified Jimbo. Probably would have been the end of him at FSU. If the PD had done their job instead of covering it up there's no doubt Fisher would have dismissed Winston.
Very true. However, the stealing of the crab legs and the "pop that p****!" outburst on campus on top of the allegations should have been enough.

I am not minimizing those UF teams though. Urban tolerated a murderer for ****s sake... not to mention the other *******s on those teams.
There was no murderer on Urban's UF teams.
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

Quote:

Right now, it's looking like Jimbo lucked his way into one at FSU all because of one crab leg loving QB.
Mack Brown with VY
Urban with Tebow
Dabo with Watson
Dabo with Trevor
Chizik with Cam
Saban with Tua
Jimbo with Winston
Carroll with Leinart

Someday you have to admit, it takes a very special QB to win it all unless you're Saban.

All of those QBs are either heisman winners or top 10 picks.
kbarj
AG
Meyer has said that Notre Dame is his dream job...so if he came back, wouldn't that be logical? Talking heads have been saying that Brian Kelly has topped out what he can do at ND (due to recruiting limitations) and his agent has been trying to solicit NFL interest.

And to answer the original question...Meyer is probably the better coach, and Jimbo is the better fit.
TheBro
JimbosHatBarelyFits said:

Fonzie Scheme said:

Quote:

Mack Brown with VY
Urban with Tebow
Dabo with Watson
Dabo with Trevor
Chizik with Cam
Saban with Tua
Jimbo with Winston
Carroll with Leinart

Someday you have to admit, it takes a very special QB to win it all unless you're Saban.

All of those QBs are either heisman winners or top 10 picks.
You didn't mention Urban at OSU. Who was Urban's very special QB there?
AGinHI
AG
Utah coaches have a somewhat consistent winning percentage hovering around .500.

Yes it was only 2 years, but Urban Meyer went 22-2.

Obviously enough to raise eyebrows at Florida.

“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
Deputy Travis Junior
Possibly the worst take I've ever read on texags and we have some real morons around here on Saturdays. Sure Urban puts the "no soul" in unscrupulous - I think it has all the letters, somebody check for me - but he's one of the best college coaches in history.

3 titles by age 55? At the same age, Saban had 1 and Bear had 3. That's crazy. If not for a bad heart or corrosive stress of whatever, he'd have a chance to win another few titles, which, along with his absolutely mind blowing 85% win rate, would make him a strong contender for GOAT.
Crazy thing is USC is actually a pretty good team (ton of nfl talent) this year but has played a pretty tough schedule and had some key injuries. If Helton gets run and Urban walks in there, I think he can win big immediately.

Saban is the goat but history is not completely written. Let's see what happens with Urban and Dabo in the next 10 years.
TopoTacos
AG
Agvet12 said:

e.busche said:

Urban is an elite coach and between Utah/UF/tOSU has as great a resume as anyone outside Saban... but between the Gainesville police scanners and the Zach Smith DV fiasco, and would definitely pass on him as a judge of character and a leader of young men.

Plus he's taking the ND job.

Wrong there on all accounts....

ND opening would be scary because Elko would be a top candidate for it... his old LB assistant is the DC and would stay the DC essentially. One of the few times I'm rooting for ND to succeed because Elko would more than likely get the job (that and Michigan)

Not to take anything away from Elko as a coach, he's done great things with his defenses, has been at South Bend and I would imagine will be a fine HC when he gets his chance...

but ND is one of the schools with a fan base that expects success on a yearly basis, damn the torpedos. They are much more likely to throw a couple Brinks trucks at a coach with multiple NC rings, a trophy case laden with SEC and Big 10 hardware, and an expressed desire to coach at ND (his stated Dream Job) than they are to take a chance on a defensive minded candidate with no HC experience.

Elko is way more likely to start at a mid-level P5.
ABattJudd
AG
knoxtom said:

Pretty sure Urban to the cowboys is a smoke screen.

Urban to USC is a real deal and I would say if Helton fails to finish 9-4 then you will see Urban there next year.

Lincoln Riley will be the next coach of the Cowboys, only thing up in the air is when. If Garrett fails to win a playoff game this year, then I think he is out and Riley in. Garrett is a really poor coach, no one can deny that anymore.
A guy I work with played baseball with him at Princeton.

Cool story, Bro.

Thanks.
"Well, if you can’t have a great season, at least ruin somebody else’s." - Olin Buchanan
HoustonAg2106
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

Quote:

For most schools not named Alabama, winning a championship takes finding a generational talent at quarterback

Even Clemson's national championships needed Dashaun Watson and Trevor Lawrence
AggieHammer2000
AG
TheBro said:

AggieHammer2000 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

AggieHammer2000 said:

halfastros81 said:

Multiple reasons.

Aaron Hernandez says hello.
HoustonAg2106
AG
AggieHammer2000 said:

TheBro said:

AggieHammer2000 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

AggieHammer2000 said:

halfastros81 said:

Multiple reasons.

I think he meant no one that committed murder at the time they were at Florida (that we knew of at least)
schmellba99
AG
Urban is a great coach - but a greater liability.

He left Florida because things were about to get really ugly for him for various recruiting and institutional issues (example: Aaron Hernandez). He put tOSU under a bad cloud with the various shady deals and infractions and hiding the fact that one of his coaches was apparently really good at beating his wife.

Question is this: if you knew he would win at least 1 NC here, but also knew that the sht storm would hit shortly after and the NCAA would be crawling up the ass of everybody because of him, would you still want Urban theoretically?

I would, but I make no bones about the fact that I want to see A&M as a champion and I'm good with it. Other programs seems to bounce back, we could too. And would have the hardware.
schmellba99
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

AggieHammer2000 said:

TheBro said:

AggieHammer2000 said:

Gyles Marrett said:

AggieHammer2000 said:

halfastros81 said:

Multiple reasons.

I think he meant no one that committed murder at the time they were at Florida (that we knew of at least)
Granted, they are rumors, but there were/are lots of rumors that Hernandez did a couple of wet jobs while he was at Florida. He was an absolute train wreck of a person - to the point that Urban was going to kick him off the team had Tebow not requested he stay on. But even Hernandez admitted he was high AF the entire time he was there and it wasn't only MJ he played around with.

Dude was a criminal thug, plain and simple. A thug that could play ball when he wanted to.
Foxo
AG
I have concluded that most Aggie fans are gobbled up with the silly ass.
UnderTheHillAg
Stupid question...Meyer is probably the 2nd best coach of modern day cfb right behind Saban...probably the best offensive mind of the last 50 years
Aggies2009
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

Quote:

No. He had top 3 talent yearly there. And averaged over 10 wins.
Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX
AggieHammer2000 said:

There is a lot of talk about Urban Meyer coming back to coach CFB. Possibly FSU in fact once the Taggert debacle is over. Assuming Jimbo is not yet our coach and A&M had an endless reserve of cash would you rather Jimbo or Urban as your head coach?

I hate to say it, but I think I would go with Urban.
Well,....think it through....you put up $75 million guaranteed on a 10 year deal,...between Urban and Jimbo, who leaves first? (Hint: Someone has an established record of early exits.)

I'll go with Jimbo.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.