Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Is Mond the most polarizing Aggie we've ever had?

7,267 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BigOil
Double Diamond
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not sure why people cannot understand this. The recruiting hasn't been good enough.
Snap E Tom
Bunk Moreland said:

C@LAg said:

Windy City Ag said:

Kyler Murray was 10x worse.
because he was an overly and most assuredly selfish ****.

Lol. Pathetic take given the very toned down version we got from Hubenak about the whole situation.

I don't hold a damn thing against Kyle or Kyler. A coward of a coach refused to be a leader and talk to them honestly.

I don't know if it was discussed here yesterday or if any caught it, but the announcers were talking about Spav when he came back to CS. According to them, Spav said the whole thing taught him a lot about communication. While he (Spav) told K&K about the QB plans, they needed to hear it from the head coach, which they didn't.

1) Basically in line with what Hube said.
2) Props to Spav for calling out Sumlin.
PooDoo
AG
Pre-internet Jeff Granger could generate some heat after a game of several one hop passes between the football and baseball fans.
Lance Uppercut
AG
Not sure how long you've been Texags-ing, but Manziel is the only quarterback I can remember from 2000 to the present where there hasn't been a sizeable internet group clamoring to play the backup. So you just have to be a Heisman winner to silence the regular level of complaints. And even then, a new genre of morality complaining sprung up in its place.

Mond does make some bad decisions, but the o-line is really rough. I imagine he's also playing in large part because if the backups are any slower than him, they'd be sacked 20 times per game. Re-watch the game and count how many times someone flies through a missed block or an end runs untouched around a tackle. You can't count to three (and often 2) before the QB is under pressure on an absurd amount of our plays.

Regardless of what I think of Mond's ability, I certainly respect him for his toughness in operating behind that line. It must be terrifying. Not to mention, his mobility (out of necessity) is the best weapon in the offense. We lose yesterday's game without a mobile quarterback.

aeon-ag
AW 1880 said:

The Reggie debates were much worse. McGee debates were pretty close as well. Thanks a lot Fran.
Go back to the early 70's and some of you remember a guy named Lex James. His nickname was Stumble, Fumble and Fall.
Aldine98
No He struggles at times. But He's a good kid that stays out of trouble. He makes boneheaded mistakes in the red zone but polarizing is too strong a word if anything he's not polarizing enough!
Dale Gribble
Lateralus Ag said:

Bunk Moreland said:

ApachePilot said:

Mond saying he was the best QB didn't help. Plus his body language on the sidelines. He has failed to improve as a passer. I don't enjoy watching him play.

1) So he should have said he's definitely not the best QB in the conference?

2) Citing 'body language on the sideline' is laughable.

3) He absolutely has improved as a psser.

4) finally you're honest with yourself. You simply don't like watching him play.

Cam Newton was fun to watch. JFF was fun to watch. Tua is fun to watch. McGee was fun to watch. Tannehill was fun to watch. Bucky was fun to watch.

Kellen, not so much. Granted, he gets no help from the Oline. Or his receivers. If he had some help he might be a little better. But he will never be the best in the SEC.

McGee was fun to watch? I guess if you like fading back and to the right EVERY SINGLE TIME THERE'S PRESSURE. And I liked Tannehill as much as the next guy, but he was pretty instrumental in that 7-6 2011 season. Not sure how that's any better.
BQ-ESQ99
AG
WINNING games you aren't picked to win and BTHO teams that you're supposed to, that un-polarizes everything.
hunter2012
AG
Quote:

Must be new to the Zoo...

Ifishandlie
AG
Too many people think by putting in "another" guy it'll be a fix ..

No qb can pass with guys in his face or running for his life. No rb can gain yards without blocking.

Putting in another guy will lead to the same or worse results. Mond isn't perfect but he's good. He's gutsy and he never gives up.

Mond didn't get worse this year. Our line did.
CasualObserver44
AG
Quote:

McGee was fun to watch? I guess if you like fading back and to the right EVERY SINGLE TIME THERE'S PRESSURE. And I liked Tannehill as much as the next guy, but he was pretty instrumental in that 7-6 2011 season. Not sure how that's any better.
I thought the same thing when I read that. McGee was caught in a very terrible position with Franchione as head coach, but he was not a great quarterback. Including him with 2 Heisman winners, 1 Heisman runner-up and soon to be top NFL draft pick, and a top 10 NFL draft pick is awfully bold considering the massive talent difference between all of them and McGee.

Just for fun....
McGee's best season: 62% completion%, 2300 yards, 12 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, 666 rushing yards, 4 touchdowns, 135 QB rating

Kellen Mond last year: 57% completion%, 3100 yards, 24 touchdowns, 9 interceptions, 474 rushing yards, 7 touchdowns, 135 QB rating
MaroonStain
AG
Aggie QBs that received more grief than Mond (modern era):

- Granger
- Farris
- McGee
- Kyler/Kyle
ironmanag
AG
The biggest issue with the Mond debate is both sides take extremes. For the very vocal minority in the negative it doesn't matter what he does he sucks and is the worst QB to put on an Aggie uniform. For the very vocal minority positive any criticism of Mond is like committing a mortal sin.

For the rest of us he is a good but flawed QB who plays significantly better at home than on the road.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
AgLaw02
AG

Yes, obviously. Assuming this is your first year watching football.

Good grief.
TXAG 05
AG
CptnTight said:

I have never seen a fan base so divided over a single player, Mond is hated by one half and (I wouldn't say loved) but certainly protected or defended by the other half. When Aggies bring him up in discussion, its almost a guarantee that emotions will run loose and an argument will break out.

This must be your first season watching Aggie football.

Everyone on here is smarter than the coach and knows that the backup QB is always better than the starter.
TopoTacos
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

Champ Bailey said:

There are people who are honest about what Mond can and can't do, and then there are people who don't understand football who bash him.

He's been our entire offense 3 out of the last 4 weeks. And the potbangers hate that, because they don't understand why they sound so ridiculous.

The fact that he has been our entire offense the last 3 or 4 weeks is what bothers me the most. That really isn't his fault. But he is being asked to carry a team and he just isn't that guy. Our record shows it.

So, does Jimbo just not have anyone else on the roster? Is Mond that much better than the next guy? If so, can we get a little help for the guy? Simplify some blocking schemes? Get Wydermeyer some more touches? Smith? Maybe use the designed run more? (I know we have the last few weeks, but when Mond runs he approaches being a playmaker, so let's do that more!)

That's the part I don't get.

He's definitely the best option we have at QB this season. Calzada has a cannon but is a true frosh and Foster evidently isn't an option either based on what we have seen in spring games. Kellen is also suffering from a complete lack of additional playmakers, with a substandard O-line, inconsistent receiving corps, and our 1 and 2 RBs on the depth chart out for the year.

It's a perfect storm of a bad situation for a QB. Kellen also doesn't seem to be gaining much of a feel for improvising or adapting mid-play, he seems a touch robotic.
antman8504
AG
Other than Johnny, Texags has never been happy with our QB. Problem is they want the QB to elevate the team past the talent level. Only Johnny could do that. Mond is a fine QB. He is not great, but good enough to win championships with. He is NOT the problem with this team and should not be the first thrown under the bus. Bama won many NCs with much less at QB.

Until Texags realizes that we need to be elite EVERYWHERE to win a NC, then people are going to dump on our QB. It is clear to anyone who watches that we have one of the worst olines in the SEC. No burners at RB and WR. and yet, Mond is still the first they attack.

Give this team a GREAT Oline and GREAT rb, then Mond looks really good.
JodyMcD96
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

ApachePilot said:

Mond saying he was the best QB didn't help. Plus his body language on the sidelines. He has failed to improve as a passer. I don't enjoy watching him play.

4) finally you're honest with yourself. You simply don't like watching him play.

You don't ever answer a question like that on camera or on the record. That should have been taught to him before he ever spoke to the media. Either self-deprecation or smile and saying "I'm not going to answer that" is what he should have done. Unless you are the ballsy, bigger than life, type of player that can back it up or die trying.
spongerob21
AG
Jake. Spavital.
A is A
AG
maybe during school.

But Michael Bennett is pretty polarizing now in the NFL.
WdlsAg
MaroonStain said:

Aggie QBs that received more grief than Mond (modern era):

- Granger
- Farris
- McGee
- Kyler/Kyle

Take these 5 plus Pavlas, 4th-year Cory Pullig, and Jerrod Johnson ... and we could have a battle royale of polarizing QB frustration.
Gil Renard
AG
Mr Pick 6 has done well in nfl. College not so much
NyAggie
AG
Quote:

There are people who are honest about what Mond can and can't do, and then there are people who don't understand football who bash him.

He's been our entire offense 3 out of the last 4 weeks. And the potbangers hate that, because they don't understand why they sound so ridiculous.

Yep

Dude has been carrying the load out of necessity and getting hammered by opposing dline on nearly every play yet some folks still want to bash him
TxFig
AG
jagged said:

Windy City Ag said:

Yes, the heisman winner, #1 pick, nfl starter.

That should tell you a lot about the "wisdom" of this board.

My 8 yo granddaughter would have won the Heisman with that offense and the pizz-poor competition of the baby12.

Can you say "inflated numbers"?

Or have you noticed how bad Kyler sux in the NFL (arguably, worse than Johnny).
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
HTownAg
AG
TxFig said:

jagged said:

Windy City Ag said:

Yes, the heisman winner, #1 pick, nfl starter.

That should tell you a lot about the "wisdom" of this board.

My 8 yo granddaughter would have won the Heisman with that offense and the pizz-poor competition of the baby12.

Can you say "inflated numbers"?

Or have you noticed how bad Kyler sux in the NFL (arguably, worse than Johnny).
Still don't understand the hate for Kyler. The hate should be saved for Sumlin who couldn't figure out what to do with Kyler and Kyle.

The fact is they are quite similar in stats, other than wins.....

Murray is 5-2 as an NFL starter with 1,768 passing yards, 266 rushing yards, 7 passing TDs, 2 rushing and a 86.8 QB rating

Johnny was 3-10 as a starter with 1, 675 passing yards, 259 rushing yards, 7 passing TDs, 1 rushing a 74.4 QB rating
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
JodyMcD96 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

ApachePilot said:

You don't ever answer a question like that on camera or on the record. That should have been taught to him before he ever spoke to the media. Either self-deprecation or smile and saying "I'm not going to answer that" is what he should have done. Unless you are the ballsy, bigger than life, type of player that can back it up or die trying.

So your point is that Mond said something stupid on camera, and that's why you don't like him?
Chef Elko
AG
Yeah, and he was paid by Texas to pull that stunt and show up on their campus that week.
BigOil
AG
Yep... I remember that in early 92 before Pullig took over.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.