Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Way Too Early: SEC New Coaching Hires for 2020

4,249 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by greg.w.h
BrotherChad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is my personal opinion on possible coaching hires that would give SEC teams the best chance at becoming winning programs again. I try to make these hires are realistic as possible but obviously don't know all the ins and outs. Feel free to offer your thoughts.

In order of the programs in most need of a HC change:

1. Tennessee: no one worth their salt will touch this place until Fulmer is exiled or dead. Fulmer is the definition of a cancer destroying a program. Unfortunately I think they have to stay the course with Pruitt...I don't see any G5 coach or P5 coordinator worth a crap going here.

2. Arkansas: Gus Malzahn (HC Auburn) This is a low a probability play and A LOT of things would have to change during this current season for this to happen, but he's still the best coach in CFB who has any level of interest in Arky. Offer him what Auburn never could: stability and reasonable expectations. I think Jerry would have to throw in a 10-year, $80M to get him away and AU would have to go 8-4 or worse...but again this is really Arky's only chance at an upgrade.

3. Vanderbilt: Ken N (HC Navy): Vandy won't ever have the means, facilities, talent etc to compete on the playing field with the rest of the SEC. But I really think they could cause some upsets and disruption and go 7-5 yearly running the Triple. Definitely worth a shot and it worked quite well in P5 for Georgia Tech. This is my wishful thinking and won't likely happen...

4. Ole Miss: Jay Norvell (HC Memphis): Memphis is basically northern MS and Norvell has done quite well for years now. Ole Miss has been most successful lately with high flying offense and Norvell can do that as well. This is an obvious fit IMO.

5. South Carolina: Steve Spurrier (Retired): USCe follows the Mack Brown at UNC blueprint. Spurrier brings together hand picked offensive minds from his Orlando Apollo days, or whoever else he wants. Spurrier then grooms that coordinator to take over in 3-5 years. Spurrier is old so this is a low probability hire, but it seems like he still loves coaching and did great in the AAF.

6. Kentucky: the rumor mill is saying Mark Stoops moves on to better places after this year. Obviously keep Stoops if you can.

Assuming that happens the hire is obvious: Mike Leach (HC . Obvious ties to this university and where the Air Raid began in P5 football. I think Leach could achieve equal success here as he did at Texh.

7. Mississippi State: Keep current

8. Mizzou: Keep Current

9. Texas A&M: Keep current

10. Auburn: Auburn isn't looking like it will tank, but for the sake of this thread let's assume they end up going 7-5 or 8-4. I assume the buyout is still too big for them to get a new HC. Auburn boosters will huff and puff and throw a fit, but they're attached to Gus for at least another year.

B. Scenario: Gus leaves for record setting 10+ year deal at Arky to escape Auburn's knee-jerk during coaches toxicity: In this scenario I'm going to assume neither Urban nor Bob Stoops is going to want to be compared to Saban on an annual basis. I think Bill Clark (HC - UAB) will be the best hire. He took a G5 program that had canceled it's footb program and within 2 years had won 11+ games with that team. He obviously can recruit Alabama and develop talent.

11. Florida: Keep current

12. LSU: Keep current

13. Georgia: Keep current

14. Alabama: Keep current
TxAg76
AG
Uh....ok....
GumboMaverick
Tennessee and Arky are both year two coaches right? Why does anyone think a college coach only gets two years to work/coach at a school unless they do something off the field like bone his secretary?

This is the "instant gratification" era for sure.

As bad as Pruitt has been he ain't going anywhere this off season. Same for Morris
BrotherChad
AG
Definitely true. I just think if Arky can get Malzahn this year they've got take it, but I see both sides of the argument.
NyAggie
AG
As bad as they are doing, I think Morris and Pruitt each get one more season

I think Luke at ole miss does as well

I think Moorhead's seat as miss st heats up going into 2020

I think the Gus to Arkansas ship has sailed.

Vandy and a triple option coach would be interesting, just not sure they would go that route

I think South Carolina is interesting. I think spurrier is done. Don't think he wanted the headache of coaching and especially the grind of recruiting

I think usc could cut bait with muschamp after this season (was a head scratcher of a hire to begin with) and I could see them go g5 for a guy like norvell or some other g5 guy that is having success

wangus12
AG
Lol. Texas A&M definitely gonna have a new coach next year. Jimbo is trash and must fire him immediately!
TonySoprano
I think Auburn goes 10-2 and they some how keep Malzahn.
Born Maroon
AG
Post less OP.
Alpha Texan
AG
Seriously OP, you have no faith in yourself to keep your job a Arky?
BMX Bandit
Quote:

4. Ole Miss: Jay Norvell (HC Memphis): Memphis is basically northern MS and Norvell has done quite well for years now. Ole Miss has been most successful lately with high flying offense and Norvell can do that as well. This is an obvious fit IMO.
Other than Norvell being the head coach at Nevada, Reno being nowhere near northern MS, and Norvell only having 1 good year there, this is is great breakdown.

Kind of insight I expect from Brother Chad.

Mike Norvell on the other hand...
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
If Auburn falls apart down the stretch & malzahn gets run off, Arky has to jump on that....

Chad Morris might be the worst hire of any team all time... He's just so awful

Nice guy, but awful coach
technoviking
AG
Thank you OP. This thread is a breath of fresh air and an interesting topic.

I don't see Spurrier coming back. I don't see Leach going to the SEC. Malzahn to Arky would be great. I'm done thinking that Malzahn will leave Auburn anytime soon though. If it did happen, I think Bob Stoops would come back for Auburn though, and that would not be good.
Tango_Mike
You think that after 17 years in one place that Ken Niumatalolo is going to leave Navy? If you're going to poach the academies, Jeff Monken is probably the best coach not named Saban or Swinney in all of college football.
Callate Donnie
Emilio Fantastico
AG
BrotherChad said:

Definitely true. I just think if Arky can get Malzahn this year they've got take it, but I see both sides of the argument.

Nah, Auburn does good in odd years and bad in even years. Malzahn will be in trouble at Auburn after next season after which Arky can get him and fire Morris after three bad seasons.
BrotherChad
AG
Tango_Mike said:

You think that after 17 years in one place that Ken Niumatalolo is going to leave Navy? If you're going to poach the academies, Jeff Monken is probably the best coach not named Saban or Swinney in all of college football.
You definitely have a point there, I agree
NoahAg
Malzahn is not going to Arkansas.
Auburn is certainly not going 8-4. 10-2 at worst.
technoviking
AG
NoahAg said:

Malzahn will always have the Arky job when he chooses to take it. His last contract negotiation with auburn he almost took that job until auburn paid him a **** ton.
NoahAg
technoviking said:

NoahAg said:

Malzahn will always have the Arky job when he chooses to take it. His last contract negotiation with auburn he almost took that job until auburn paid him a **** ton.
Morris is in year 2. He's not getting fired this season. Therefore, Malzahn is not going to arkansas in 2020.
hogfan14
I think most Arkansas fans would rather get Mike Norvell (played at Central Arkansas) or Appalachian State's Eli Drinkwitz (coached HS in Northwest Arkansas) before paying Malzahn that much.

Norvell apparently has some off the field issues keeping teams away though.
Iowaggie
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

Other than Norvell being the head coach at Nevada, Reno being nowhere near northern MS, and Norvell only having 1 good year there, this is is great breakdown.

Kind of insight I expect from Brother Chad.

Mike Norvell on the other hand...

Similar staches though....

Jay Norvell

Mike Norvell

The rumor on Mike Norvell is that he will be patient to leave for a good situation. Debatable whether Ole Miss is that situation. I'm not sure what is that good situation though.
chick79
AG
Didn't Kentucky just give Stoops a big contract renewal? I don't see him going anywhere.
W
AG
if Morris goes 0-8 in conference play again...he might be done
greg.w.h
AG
Malzahn only leaves Auburn for a Jimbo Fisher deal elsewhere.

Mark Stoops and Les Miles stay as long as they want or until they make a CFP semi. Then they get real money for staying at their respective schools. Or Les gets a broadcast deal that he likes better.

Vanderbilt has all the money it needs to hire any coach it wants. They just don't want to win. I'll note: if they put together an academic support program that got inner city athletes graduating with engineering degrees, the public education system would be permanently voided.

I acknowledge there will be coaching changes and most of them will be futile. There aren't that many truly great coaches and of the hires in the past four years that truly are trying to systemically change culture, Texas A&M players in suits was amazing. And likely is creating a new trend if we win that puts all of us back in suits and ties. Thanks Jimbo...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.