Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

LSU is a ****hole

13,816 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ag4coal
Texas A & M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I hope Texas A&M never prioritizes football over academics. No amount of championships can make up for the fact that LSU is a dump and ranks #140 in USN&WR.

Saint Pablo
Football players that will never see the inside of a library don't care
Ifishandlie
AG
How can you be surprised from a place where the state food is a corn dog
Texas A & M
Quote:

Middleton Library remains the poster child for crumbling infrastructure relating to academics. The state of Louisiana has slashed funding for higher education, and fund-raising for the university perennially lags behind that of the athletic department. A recent story reported that LSU's endowment of $16,180 per student ranked 13th out of 14 SEC schools.
Link

There's literally a GoFundMe campaign to build a new library.
akm91
AG
Wonder which school is #14? MSU?
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Wabs
AG
Most, if not all, cajuns don't look at LSU as a school. They look at it as a football program. In short, they couldn't care less about academic facilities.
Serious Lee
Quote:

ranks #140 in USN&WR
is that bad?
RebelYell77
LSU has been in disarray for years with regards to funding. Didn't a Louisiana governor even threaten to shut a football season down recently?
TAMU bball fan
Wabs said:

Most, if not all, cajuns don't look at LSU as a school. They look at it as a football program. In short, they couldn't care less about academic facilities.

Which made me apprehensive about A&M joining the SEC. It's not a cultural fit. I would rather associate with UCLA, Stanford, et al.
BrotherChad
AG
Way to include the absolute worst parts of the library and the best parts of LSU's football program. Totally not biased Jennifer or whatever her name is.
Texas A & M
The athletics over academics culture is specific to LSU, not the SEC.

Quote:

Of the nine schools in the Southeastern Conference with separate foundations for athletics and academics, LSU is the only one where athletic fundraising outpaces academic fundraising, according to the newspaper's analysis of four years of tax documents.

"If you look at the buildings of LSU, all of the newest and most spectacular buildings belong to athletics," said Kevin Cope, president of the Faculty Senate. "Meanwhile, there are faculty, students and community members who work in buildings where the plumbing doesn't work, walls are falling down and the facilities are generally in a state of Third World disrepair."

Not only do LSU's peer schools take in more money for academics than for sports it isn't even close for most of them. The University of Florida, Mississippi State, the University of Georgia, Auburn and the University of South Carolina all raise more than twice as much money for the classroom as for the locker room.
West Point Aggie
AG
TAMU bball fan said:

Wabs said:

Which made me apprehensive about A&M joining the SEC. It's not a cultural fit. I would rather associate with UCLA, Stanford, et al.

Well that's never ever gonna happen! Talk about a cultural mismatch...A&M and anything from Cali...even the sips...as cosmo as they view themselves are not a fit
Let’s Go Brandon!
SEC 2012
A&M has more in common with UCLA than LSU. My goodness LSU is a community college with a football program. UCLA is a world class university.
wesnile
AG
akm91 said:

SCAR
ABATTBQ11
AG
The total system wide endowment of A&M is $13.5 billion. LSU's system wide endowment is $845 million.
AG
SEC 2012 said:

A&M has more in common with UCLA than LSU. My goodness LSU is a community college with a football program. UCLA is a world class university.

Yeah, but A&M and Auburn were separated at birth. Couldn't be two schools more alike.
Dr.HeadCase
AG
The locker room upgrades were paid for by donors. Library upgrades usually come from tuition funds and other direct funds from the school. With state dollars toward public colleges decreasing, that's getting harder and harder. It's much easier to get donations for a football stadium upgrade than a library upgrade sadly.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
SEC 2012 said:

Maybe, but there is more to this than simply academics. Culturally, we have zero in common with UCLA or anything Pac 12. Except for being human beings who live in this nation, I suppose. The SEC is full of folks who believe similarly (in a general sense), who do similar things (bbq, hunting, fishing, and sharing a love of college football). In the Pac 12 you have a lot of highly-rated schools, and yeah, we'd fit it with those schools from a purely academic standpoint, but we also fit in with the better academic schools in the SEC.

And while LSU may very well be a football factory more so than an academic institution, no one is going to deny that Texas A&M also values football very highly as well.
aTm2004
AG
The dad of one of the girls on my daughter's soccer team is a LSU grad from LA. He told me the smartest thing he ever did was to move out of LA after graduating and ensuring his kids didn't have to go through those schools. If this is at their flagship university, imagine what it's like at some of their poorer public schools.
vol4ever
For those longing for the west coast, the SEC is the only major conference with no exit fee.
greg.w.h
AG
LSWho???
McInnis80
In the 90's when A&M and UT were beginning the top 10% rule for Texas high school grads, LSU had a similar rule for Louisiana high school grads. Instead of the top 10% of high school grads, LSU offered automatic admission to the top 100% of in-state grads.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
wesnile said:

akm91 said:

SCAR

I figured it would be us after Rick Perry got enrollment up to just under eleventy billion.
McInnis80
We have lots in common with the University of California schools. National treasures Lawrence Livermore and Los Alamos labs are management by partnership with UC and TAMU.

The SEC is a good fit for A&M sports, but we (and UT) are Big Ten research institutions located in the Southwest. I also see lots of issues for the Pac 12 that may not be easily fixed. It's still a long way to Pullman and even further to Eugene.
dellgriffith
AG
TAMU bball fan said:

Wabs said:

You sound like a sip. The SEC is absolutely a cultural fit.
You have to be trolling, right?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
winorgetadog
AG
Pretty sad to see the lengths that LSU goes to keep the football program elite while neglecting its academics. I may be wrong here, but I thought that one of the benefits of college football is that a lot of schools generate money from their football programs and distribute some of that to academics. I know most Louisiana folks probably don't give a damn and are totally fine with this move, but c'mon even the governor threatened to shut down the program unless the state agreed to raise taxes enough to keep the school afloat. It's going to hit a tipping point soon. I think that's a microcosm of college football as a whole, but of course LSU is on the extreme end of the spectrum.
rootube
AG
4 said:

SEC 2012 said:

Yeah, but A&M and Auburn were separated at birth. Couldn't be two schools more alike.

Do you think that little of Texas A&M?
rootube
AG
This post is a little high and mighty given how much we have invested in athletics in the last decade. Also I'm sure you could head over to Sterling and snap a pic that would generate outrage the same as this.
aTm2004
AG
TAMU bball fan said:

Wabs said:

Huh? A&M and the SEC is a perfect cultural fit.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Actually, the sales pitch the athletic departments use is that having good teams in the spotlight keeps alumni engaged in the university and thus makes them more likely to donate to the school for academic causes as well as athletics.
I'm not sure that there are many instances where athletic departments actually give money to the school.
Builder93
AG
It's going to take a while to dry out the card catalog.
bth15ag
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

wesnile said:

akm91 said:

SCAR

I figured it would be us after Rick Perry got enrollment up to just under eleventy billion.
Yes, but our endowment is way over eleventy billion.
SEC 2012
If the Pac 12 could fix their revenue and network issues I would be perfectly fine with A&M in the PAC 12 (or Big 10/ACC). Agree it's a better cultural fit from an academic/research standpoint.
AG
Auburn is a great school. Being complimentary of another school doesn't mean my school isn't good.

You ever been there? The two are a lot alike.

Both originally land grant colleges
Both are land, sea, space grant colleges (2 of only 17)
Both solid academic institutions
Both very conservative.
Cultures are damn near identical.
Kids yell War Eagle at everyone they see and if you don't say it back, they add a 'damn' to it... Sound familiar?
Both have to deal with an arrogant, t shirt fan blue blood school down the road.
I could go on...
SEC 2012
The reality is the state Texas is more similar to California than the SEC west. Most A&M students are from the major metro areas (Houston, Austin/SA, Dallas) which are urban and liberal. Every major Texas city is democratic and unfortunately the whole state will soon be blue. I don't see a cultural clash in the PAC 12. I also think A&M is quite a bit more liberal than Auburn, Ole Miss, etc. A lot of Beto fans on campus.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.