Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Losing Bowtie sucked, too

6,869 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by joefix93
SEC Champs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Loftus led us into the SEC, and we thought the world was ending when he left for Missouri (which turned out to be disastrous for him, but great for us). It caused us to hire Young, who hired Woodward, who hired Jimbo and Buzz among other good things.

In the same way, someone new will come in a write a new chapter in Aggie history. Who knows? Maybe we'll continue the positive changes that were only possible through turnover.
StickTogetherAgs
Miss Dr. Loftin a lot. He was the best b/c his 24/7 mission was to always do what was best for A&M.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
I think if you told people that Jimbo would be at A&M for the rest of his career, 99% of the lamentations would cease.

People have decided that Jimbo is a puppy dog that has no choice but to come when called and that he's out just as soon as LSU can justifiably can Ed O.

I don't think Jimbo leaves unless we stop giving him what he wants and needs.
Bottlehead90
AG
I expect we will make a solid hire at AD

But most also thought Fran was a solid hire and it was disastrous
Propane & Accessories
AG
Wede01 said:

Loftus led us into the SEC, and we thought the world was ending when he left for Missouri (which turned out to be disastrous for him, but great for us). It caused us to hire Young,
So what you're saying is that it was an awful decision since it led us to Young got it.
You're tearing me apart- Tommy Wiseau
Tango_Mike
Loftin was a ****ty college president. Making weed hand signs and moving the sports don't make up for his failures everywhere else
rootube
AG
Tango_Mike said:

Loftin was a ****ty college president. Making weed hand signs and moving the sports don't make up for his failures everywhere else
I don't know if Loftin was good or bad as president but damn he was great at PR because everyone on Texags believes that he is the reason we are in the SEC. What I do know for sure is that the president of Texas A&M does not have the power or authority to make that kind of decision. That kind of thing happens way above his pay grade.
Mister Mystery Guest
I like winning in sports. A lot. Especially in the big three. But I'd have to go back to Frank Vandiver to find a Univ Pres that doesn't bother me greatly from an A&M culture standpoint. And back to McKinney for the same reasons as chancellor. I know these comments will bother the globalist millennial types here on the board.
double aught
AG
Bob Gates was the best president since Earl Rudder.
Hey Nav
AG
Quote:

Not so sure about that... football-wise.
agent-maroon
AG
double aught said:

The self described "agent of change" that brought us the Fran era? Uhhhm, no
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
romanagg11
Did he hire sumlin?
double aught
AG
Fran was a mistake. But anyone else would've made the same mistake. Aside from that, I don't judge a university president based solely on a football hire. Nor should you.
HUDAT361
StickTogetherAgs said:

Miss Dr. Loftin a lot. He was the best b/c his 24/7 mission was to always do what was best for A&M.

Yep. Too bad sharp ran off Loftin , Jason cook, Scott Woodward, and Johnny's last year.
The Debt
Loftin showed how incompetent he is at Mizzou with his handling of the poop swastika. With that level of leadership and the dip in the schools brand and admissions why yall idolize loftin is mind boggling.
rootube
AG
double aught said:

Fran was a mistake. But anyone else would've made the same mistake. Aside from that, I don't judge a university president based solely on a football hire. Nor should you.
This is Texags we will assign credit to whoever we choose. Blame however will always fall to Sharp.
Liquid Wrench
StickTogetherAgs said:

Plus, he could do the dougie or the bernie.
C Loves L
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

I think if you told people that Jimbo would be at A&M for the rest of his career, 99% of the lamentations would cease.

People have decided that Jimbo is a puppy dog that has no choice but to come when called and that he's out just as soon as LSU can justifiably can Ed O.

While this is probably true with or without Jimbo on board Sharp is still an egotistical jerk.
OrygunAg
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

He will get what he wants as long as he consistently puts a good product on the field. He may take a step backward, but I think most of the rational among us would be accepting of that (even this upcoming season).
PanzerAggie06
AG
This is what so many seem to forget about the Fran hire. At the time it was almost universally agreed upon that it was a home run hire...outside of a handful of RC apologists who whined about it.
Lateralus Ag
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

This is what so many seem to forget about the Fran hire. At the time it was almost universally agreed upon that it was a home run hire...outside of a handful of RC apologists who whined about it.

Panhandle Slim comes to mind.
PanzerAggie06
AG
That guy was off the charts when it came to RC Delusion Syndrome.

It's amazing to me how the RC lovefest has managed to grow over the years. When he was canned, and rightfully so, the vast majority in Aggieland were dancing in the streets. Now we hear how he's "beloved" and "worshipped" by Aggies.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
PanzerAggie06 said:

That guy was off the charts when it came to RC Delusion Syndrome.

It's amazing to me how the RC lovefest has managed to grow over the years. When he was canned, and rightfully so, the vast majority in Aggieland were dancing in the streets. Now we hear how he's "beloved" and "worshipped" by Aggies.
RC was a great defensive coach who started his career as a Freshman team coach and began his rise......then this......

The Peter Principle is an observation that the tendency in most organizational hierarchies, such as that of a corporation, is for every employee to rise in the hierarchy through promotion until they reach a level of respective incompetence.

However he will do well in this hopefully temporary position.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
55-99
AG
RC was a good coach and was great for us. He is beloved. Just because we fired him doesn't mean he wasn't good for a time. He did what we needed at that time.

At some point, he stopped being able to progress the program. A lot of that was the facilities. He was asking for them, but he wasn't getting the investment from the University. Still, the Gulf Coast Offense wasn't going to get it done in post 90's college football.

His defenses were suffocating and great, but even those started to wain in the last couple of years because he wasn't recruiting the talent. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think Brian Gamble was the only defensive player that amounted to anything after the 1998 run. We couldn't capitalize.

Either way, good for him. He'll be a good interim AD.
PanzerAggie06
AG
55-99 said:

RC was a good coach and was great for us. He is beloved by some. Just because we fired him doesn't mean he wasn't good for a time. He did what we needed at that time.

At some point, he stopped being able to progress the program. A lot of that was the facilities. He was asking for them, but he wasn't getting the investment from the University. Still, the Gulf Coast Offense wasn't going to get it done in post 90's college football.

His defenses were suffocating and great, but even those started to wain in the last couple of years because he wasn't recruiting the talent. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I think Brian Gamble was the only defensive player that amounted to anything after the 1998 run. We couldn't capitalize.

Either way, good for him. He'll be a good interim AD.

Fixed it for you.
alamoaggie 64
"Loftus led us into the SEC, and we thought the world was ending when he left for Missouri (which turned out to be disastrous for him, but great for us). It caused us to hire Young, who hired Woodward, who hired Jimbo and Buzz among other good things."

1. Loftin served as the point guy but there was a cast of thousands calling the shots.
2. It takes more to be president than walking around campus all day and talking to students.
BrandoC
AG
Kind of ironic isn't it that Sharpie ran off two of the most influencal people in Texas A&M history, yet he is still hired by our university.
wtr1975
AG
2. It takes more to be president than walking around campus all day and talking to students while taking selfies with students (bold is my addition)
bryanhome
Loftin did what Perry and Sharp told him. When they didn't need him anymore they ran him off. They forgot he knew where the bodies were buried so they had to pay him mightily to keep his mouth shut.
IDaggie06
AG
The same Bob Gates that implemented the stupid policy allowing freshmen to remove F grades from their GPA?
halfastros81
AG
RC was one of the first to tell us we were falling behind in the facilities game and he didn't get adequate support in time to
Keep up on the recruiting game. Had he been
Listened to by the AD and the BMA's
Earlier I think A & M could have avoided a decade of football mediocrity.

Having said that, I feel like he was behind the eight ball in understanding the changes in offensive approach that were needed to compete in the 21st century game.
PanzerAggie06
AG
Well, the decade plus of football mediocrity was not helped by the hiring of two of his boys....Sherm and Sumlin. And no reasonable person can deny that RC most likely played a significant role in bringing those two on board.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Apparently no one here has any time for your logic.
NoahAg
double aught said:

Pssh. And he was the worst since Lawrence Sullivan Ross.
halfastros81
AG
You might be right but whoever was coaching would have done better with more attractive facilities to help compete on the recruiting trail. RC was right about that.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.