Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Starkel to piggies

23,466 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GoodAg Paulie
evanpd16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
His instagram story has a picture of an Arkansas player saying "happy birthday to my.... y'all will know soon enough" I'm assuming he means to my future teammate. https://imgur.com/a/j6cxXuE
Bill Superman
AG

That would be a good fit for him.

Anything is better than joining the dumpster fire at zona
A Bald Fat Guy
AG
Wish he didn't end up at a team on our schedule, but hopefully he can help the piggies out of their slump except for one weekend in Arlington.
Mythotbetterthanyours
That's not even Nick.

He may be hinting where he's going ...not there yet

Not thread worthy
Tamu_mgm
AG
Geez, of all the places to go. Love Starkel, but absolutely hate the idea of him at Arky - and not because all of a sudden he makes them a great team or anything, but just he fact that he will suit up against A&M for one of our rivals.
Sponge
AG
Starky to Arky!
Beezy2389
AG
"an Arkansas player" = Rakeem Boyd, former A&M player.
AG
If he were to go to Arkansas, and start, and beat us, the meltdown here would be GLORIOUS.
UnderTheHillAg
He was classy enough throughout the entire season that he's entitled to transfer to wherever he damn well pleases.
theeyetest
This move makes a lot of sense on the surface. I think arky will be on the cusp of bowl eligibility next year (5-7, 6-6, 7-5) and will be a pretty solid competitive team in 2020.

I'll go as far to say that Arky in 2020 and beyond will basically be the Aggies during Sumlin's tenure.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Ben Hicks has already grad-transferred to Arky. Morris's QB at SMU will be a RS Sr. Morris's son is expected to sign with the piggies in 2020.

Got to figure that Hicks would have a leg up on anybody else in 2019, since he knows Morris's system. I guess if Starkel got beat out, he could try again to win the job in 2020. Little Morris would be a true fish, so Starkel would have the edge unless daddy Morris played favorites.

Normally, transferring to work with Morris is solid for QBs. It would still be a better move than Sumlin and Mazzone. I just wonder if there is a better opportunity to play right away.

DallasAg 94
4 said:

If he were to go to Arkansas, and start, and beat us, the meltdown here would be GLORIOUS.
What if we lose only 1 game... We beat Clemson, Georgia, Alabama, LSU... Auburn... lose ONLY to Arkie.

Win the MNC... how would that compare to Tua taking over for Hurts 2 years ago and Lawrence taking over this past year?
Dread Pirate Roberts
I hope the best foe him.

I always pull for Aggies, so I'll pull for Arky to win all its games except against us since it has Morris, Boyd, and Starkel.
hogfan14
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Ben Hicks has already grad-transferred to Arky. Morris's QB at SMU will be a RS Sr. Morris's son is expected to sign with the piggies in 2020.

Got to figure that Hicks would have a leg up on anybody else in 2019, since he knows Morris's system. I guess if Starkel got beat out, he could try again to win the job in 2020. Little Morris would be a true fish, so Starkel would have the edge unless daddy Morris played favorites.

Normally, transferring to work with Morris is solid for QBs. It would still be a better move than Sumlin and Mazzone. I just wonder if there is a better opportunity to play right away.

Personally I think Starkel would beat out Hicks all things being even, but Hicks' knowledge of the offense definitely helps. We just signed 4* dual-threat KJ Jefferson who most think is the QB of the future so it would give him an opportunity to develop. We like some higher rated QBs for 2020 than Chandler Morris but obviously with him being Chad's son that's a pretty unique situation. Some kids might not want to play for their dad.

The fact that Arkansas could have a former A&M QB, former A&M RB and an A&M head coach is a little weird lol. Florida State is also a strong contender for him though.
evanpd16
Mythotbetterthanyours said:

That's not even Nick.

He may be hinting where he's going ...not there yet

Not thread worthy

What are you talking about? Nick was wishing his friend a happy birthday who happens to play for Arkansas and he posted a picture of that said friend saying happy birthday to my......
Eagle78
Good fit for him. Plus, UofA is one of the nation's most beautiful campuses. While Arkansas is a poor state, they sure do plow the resources into their flagship university -- especially their Business School. I assume that they are not so generous to their other state universities.

I have to admit that I'm biased. Next to the Ags, the Razorbacks are my favorite team. Can't help it. My dad grew up a sharecropper's son in impoverished north Arkansas during the Depression. After serving in WWII, he attended the UofA on the GI bill. 10 years after he graduated he was named a partner of a 90-year-old National Accounting Firm headquartered in New York. He had that job more than 30 years and retired as a Senior Partner. He co-founded the Houston chapter of UofA alumni association. Growing up, for many years he was the President of the UofA chapter in Atlanta, Georgia.

Add to the mix he has Chad Morris up there -- the coach who developed Desaun Watson at Clemson. He's a very good quarterbacks coach. Sure how we stomp for piggies but I've always like Starkel and I'm very happy for him.
Artorias
AG
Starkel has official visits to Arky and FSU in March, after which he will make a decision.

ClassOf17
I'm an arky fan then.

He's going to be AMPED to beat us
TyHolden
AG
We're not losing to Pig. I don't care if they have Tom Brady at qb. We haven't lost to them since the sherminator. Just go ahead and mark that down as 9 more Ws right now.
Unemployed
AG
ClassOf17 said:

I'm an arky fan then.
LOL...no. I hope we beat them 55-0 with or without Starkel.
eATMup-Reveille
4 said:

Wow, sounds as though you hope it happens.
AG
Then you read it wrong
mvegas
Isn't Ben Hicks (SMU QB) heading to Arkansas to play with his former head coach? If so, I would think that might put Starkel in the same situation he had here. We'll see.
Post removed:
by user
ClassOf17
RealTalk said:

ClassOf17 said:

I'm an arky fan then.
LOL...no. I hope we beat them 55-0 with or without Starkel.

Yeah but I'll be rooting for him when we don't play them
Post removed:
by user
babyshark
The meltdown of the Ags losing to Starkel & Boyd would almost make it worth it.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
So if Arky has an A&M coach, RB, and potentially a QB. Isnt that the maroon & white game just in a crappier stadium?
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

I think Starkel would beat out Hicks all things being even, but Hicks' knowledge of the offense definitely helps.

Even if Starkel is 60/40 to start, is Nick better served elsewhere? FSU looks like messy. Mazzone sucks. Does he have other options?

W
AG
let's keep in mind...Starkel started and won exactly 1 SEC game in his 3 years on campus.

and if it weren't for Tucker's pick 6 in Oxford last year...Starkel would have won zero SEC games
Roger Goodell
4 said:

Him transferring to OU and beating us in the Cotton Bowl would be even better.

dixichkn
AG
Doesn't he have basically a clear, unimpeded shot at the starter's job in Tallahassee? Seems to me if he's only got one year left of college ball then that would be the obvious landing spot. But I don't 100% know the situation
dixichkn
AG
W said:

let's keep in mind...Starkel started and won exactly 1 SEC game in his 3 years on campus.

and if it weren't for Tucker's pick 6 in Oxford last year...Starkel would have won zero SEC games
We didn't play in Oxford last year.

But yeah I don't really get the overobsessive man crush on Starkel......great kid, did a really good job at times under Summy. I wish him all the luck in the world. But for as many times as I see on this board "trust in Jimbo"........ why doesn't anyone trust in Jimbo? If Starkel were the better QB for Coach's system I'm sure he would've been named the starter. Fisher obviously saw something he didn't like. Not that Mond is bulletproof obviously but let's not sit here and pretend that Starkel is Tom Brady reincarnate
Agsuffering@bulaw
He should have 2 years remaining. I want to say he graduates in the summer.
BigCigarAg
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.