Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Thoughts on our OL

6,996 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CrottyKid
saw em off
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A lot of demons getting through quick. I'm a little concerned.
Eric Forman
AG
Gonna get schooled by clemson. Too porous.
tsuag10
AG
I'm concerned as well
Btron
AG
Pass blocking sucked tonight. Very happy with run blocking though. I could have run for 200 yrd through some of those holes
RecklessAg
AG
I agree, but maybe they are learning new assignments or schemes? All it takes is a moment of hesitation to allow an unblocked rusher through. Hope someone with more experience than I have can chime in.
CrottyKid
AG
On some of those busts, it was Mond's fault for not making presnap adjustments.
Not Coach Jimbo
Dont remember many (any?) Situations where OL was beat or whipped on the play.

There was mostly blitz situations where the OL was out manned. I'm not sure who has the responsibility in those situations to change the protection or the play, but I'm guessing most of tonight was on Mond.

Clemson will be a very different game.
vander54
S
As some have pointed out most the pressures where from blitzing and not having enough guys to block everyone. What was frustrating about it was the fact they didn't disguise the blitzing and Mond never adjusted to what was obviously coming
World's worst proofreader
Ogre09
AG
Yup, it was blitz pickup mental errors, not poor physical or technical play.
P.U.T.U
AG
The running backs missed some blocks today as well but the OL did not do great on picking up the rush. I would expect Clemson to give a lot of different looks.
crowman2010
AG
P.U.T.U said:

The running backs missed some blocks today as well but the OL did not do great on picking up the rush. I would expect Clemson to give a lot of different looks.
This...the one where Mond got smoked was a missed block by Williams. He double teamed the nose guard and the linebacker said "thank you"
aggiefan09
AG
crowman2010 said:

P.U.T.U said:

This...the one where Mond got smoked was a missed block by Williams. He double teamed the nose guard and the linebacker said "thank you"

I'm pretty sure Williams picked up the first linebacker and the second followed through the same hole and drilled Mond.
who?mikejones
AG
Too much pressure.

However, this is why one prefers to start with a cupcake. You can only do so much in practice. Sometimes it takes seeing it and feeling it at game speed to make improvement. It seemed like many issues tonight stemmed from blown assignments as opposed to getting beat man on man.

Clemson will beat us man to man so we had better clear up who blocks who when.

ClemsonTig
I watched the game closely to see what A&M would do and most of the pressures appeared to be guys getting confused on who to block when NWS brought pressure.

That's not at all unusual when you are going to a completely new system. Moving the QB from shotgun full time to up under center is a big adjustment for everyone including the OL.

The TE looked good and reminded me of a typical FSU/Jimbo TE. And of course the RB looked good as expected.

One issue is I'm not sure who the go-to WR is right now. Last year Christian Kirk was a do everything type guy. Who is that guy this year?

bodaciousbood14
AG
For all of the BS we have to put up with from Jordan Rodgers and that other idiot, they made a good point about some of the slide protections that were called from the beginning but weren't changed to adjust for the blitz.

You can't do anything about delayed blitzes but I think what happened last night is definitely fixable and shouldn't be a huge problem next weekend.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some base block packages that keep the O-line together rather than trying to get cute with some of the schemes.
Rick Flex
AG
ClemsonTig said:

One issue is I'm not sure who the go-to WR is right now. Last year Christian Kirk was a do everything type guy. Who is that guy this year?

Ausbon is the go to WR now. Before the year is over true freshman Jalen Preston will be another option. Really need Quartney Davis to step up and balance things for Ausbon.
Tamu_mgm
AG
NWST. blitzed a LOT of the time. The offense needs to work big time on picking up blitzes, but when they only rushed 4 our OL did fine.
W
AG
the o-line is going to struggle vs. Clemson's talented d-line.

I think we know that. And I think we knew that before last night's game as well
billyflanziel
The zone blocking schemes worked great with this group. Takes effort to mess up zone blocking though. Need to see some better switches and help on pass pro though.
Post removed:
by user
jbeaman88
AG
They were physical enough for an 8.2yd average and 503 total rushing yard night. Regardless of opponent, that's indicative of a good performance.
ashley
Clemson speed at every defensive position is going to be hard to manage. It can't be simulated in practice.
Ogre09
AG
jbeaman88 said:

They were physical enough for an 8.2yd average and 503 total rushing yard night. Regardless of opponent, that's indicative of a good performance.

Yup, run blocking was solid. Some folks see a pass rusher come free, and their uneducated analysis is "the OL sucks."
Frederick Palowaski
AG
crowman2010 said:

P.U.T.U said:

Yep. When they showed the replay it was clear Williams missed his read. Hopefully that gets cleared up by next weekend
Little Rock Ag
AG
Ogre09 said:

jbeaman88 said:

Yup, run blocking was solid. Some folks see a pass rusher come free, and their uneducated analysis is "the OL sucks."

Quit trying to use facts and objective analysis here.
ashley
I'm betting our staff is very worried about Clemson's sophisticated blitzes especially since we were victimized by a simple one backer blitz.
MidTnAg
AG
Clemson will not need to blitz us, even with very simple blitzes. Their front four will dominate and probably decimate our offensive line to the point they can use their LB and others to cover the many short passes we will be forced to try.

I hope we can stay within 30 points of Clemson. I don't want our potential recruits to be swayed away from us.
CovertChad
It looked like they played with more intensity. Pad level was better. Less guys out of place "in other words just standing around". Looked like they were staying on blocks longer. Interior getting to the second and even third level sometimes. I actually they were okay for their first time out. Yes, they missed some stuff but we have no idea what protection was called and what adjustments were NOT made. I played center in high school and college. I made a majority of blocking calls but if I missed it the quarterback would usually help me out. IF he missed it also it was NOT GOOD. They will have to grow up fast next week.
Sponsor Message: Nobody beats a Covert deal. Not now, not ever!
www.coverthutto.com
Hoss Bronco
AG
Mr.NiceGuy said:

crowman2010 said:

P.U.T.U said:

Yep. When they showed the replay it was clear Williams missed his read. Hopefully that gets cleared up by next weekend
Sorry, guys. As someone stated earlier, Williams did not miss. He picked up the first linebacker through the hole. There were no blockers left to pick up the second. Both linebackers were right next to each other, so I understand the confusion.
MouthBQ98
AG
Syracuse beat them last year. They are very good, but not invincible
OutdoorAg
AG
Ogre09 said:

Or maybe it was the QB not changing the protection. Just a thought.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
All I know is it is evident that Sumlin turned a lot of posters on here into a bunch of nancies.
Sure the Oline will have some issues against Clemson but so will everyone else. But this line is much better than last years and we still survived the season.
ATM9000
AG
Mond is starting because the QB is going to have to fend off a lot of blitzes this year.

Williams is an outstanding runner and easily the best offensive player on the team. He needs to play a lot... but he's a pretty bad pass protector.

The line itself played ok and definitely looked improved vs last year but not stellar by any means.
vander54
S
Mond did absolutely horrible against the blitz even though they didn't disguise it.
World's worst proofreader
Ogre09
AG
OutdoorAg said:

Ogre09 said:

Or maybe it was the QB not changing the protection. Just a thought.

The OL, RB, and QB all have responsibilities in blitz pickup. Somebody screwed up on a few occasions. We have no way of knowing who.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.