Story Poster
Photo by Lindsay Crouch, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Larry Jackson talks A&M hiring his mentor Jerry Schmidt as S&C coach

January 11, 2018

Key notes from Larry Jackson interview

• The team is going to learn that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger real quick with Jerry Schmidt. I’m pretty charged up with what is going at Texas A&M right now. I think they are assembling a great staff.

• First, when I was at A&M the first time under Mike Clark, he kind of taught me about how the business worked. Then I got the offer from Oklahoma and I didn’t even know how much money I was going to make it. Mike told me that it doesn’t matter how much money I was making, I just needed to go learn from Jerry, who was one of the best in the business. I left sight unseen and didn’t look back. 

• What I learned from Jerry was that it’s all about getting guys stronger and faster. Jerry is a guy who knows how to put everything together under the direction of the head coach. In the SEC, you want to be as big and strong as you can be without slowing guys down. Jerry knows how to get his coach exactly what he needs. This guy is the epitome of Ol' Sarge. He was a drill sergeant from day one when I arrived at Oklahoma.

• This is a guy who has been one of my mentors, he and Mike Clark, in this business and I still to this day bounce information and ideas off of him. He is my think tank. This guy has championships and multiple Heisman Trophy winners on his resume. I think this staff that Jimbo is putting together is elite and I can see exactly why he wanted to bring in Jerry Schmidt. 

• I’m an Aggie through and through, no matter the coaching situation. Coaching is a business and at the end of the day I just want Texas A&M to win and compete in the SEC. Jimbo has kept Jim Turner, he’s kept Terry Price and I think he rounded out the staff in a perfect way with Schmidt. It won’t take long for people to see these changes on the field. Don’t worry about the recruiting right now, this team is going to win.

• With training, you have to push the guys to a point that practice and training is always harder than the game, that way playing the game is easy compared to the work that they’ve done. Look at the championship pedigree that Schmidt brings, it speaks for itself.  And that’s not even looking at the near-misses at championships he has had. His training is very football and position specific. He has trained some of the best in the game, guys like Adrian Peterson.
Discussion from...

Larry Jackson talks A&M hiring his mentor Jerry Schmidt as S&C coach

15,505 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LatinAggie1997
Jbob04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great interview. LJ is a damn good Ag
wc78
AG
Thank you for this interview with LJ. Have always liked him. Agree that he is a good Ag.
Bottlehead90
oldagpete_65
EKG1996
AG
Schmidt should hire him back as an assistant SC coach
Papa Joe
AG
Gig 'em, Larry Jackson!
Frederick Palowaski
Amazing Moves
Matsui
AG
Where is LJ now?
Jbob04
AG
Matsui said:

Where is LJ now?

I believe he is the assistant strength coach with the Chargers.
Chesapeake Ag
Larry Jackson is a classy guy
aggiebrad94
AG
Coach Jackson is also an honorary member of the Medina County A&M Club. Still one of the best Musters we ever had.
StickTogetherAgs
Tamu_mgm
AG
Love Larry Jackson. Clearly he was not the issue under Sumlin.
RyanWhite
Lateralus Ag
AG
I agree. Jackson has always been a good Ag. And I don't think he was the problem here.
hunter2012
AG
Tamu_mgm said:

We're sorry Sumlin made him the scapegoat. Hopefully he can comeback in the future.
BanderaAg956
hunter2012 said:

Tamu_mgm said:

We're sorry Sumlin made him the scapegoat. Hopefully he can comeback in the future.

Careful with the Sumlin bashing, that is now a reason to be banned.... well, unless the mod's like you!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
85AustinAg
AG
http://www.chargers.com/team/coaches/roster/larry-jackson
Gyles Marrett
I still laugh that he was nick named black death and that somehow got a pass on the racism scale.
LatinAggie1997
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.