Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Jimbo Fisher Offense/Defense (What to expect)

11,405 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DGAG92
Cappy407
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There is a great post on tRant from an FSU Alumni on what to expect from Jimbo on offense and defense, and well as how he tends to go about things. Thought it was really interesting and has me even more anxious for the coming season. Warning: It's long, but very informative.

https://www.secrant.com/rant/texas-a-m-sports/what-to-expect-from-jimbo-from-an-fsu-fan/73897238/

For those who don't like to read, here's a couple videos from a coaching clinic in 2013:

Offense:

Defense:

FriendlyAg
Never heard kevin talk like that
Mr. Black
I dig it.
gA_CMAB_FA
Yup. Finally, a real coach who knows what it takes to win.
Cappy407
AG
FriendlyAg said:

I'm sure Kevin is a good x's and o's coach, but Jimbo seems to be on another level and has a completely different philosophy on how to play the game. Love listening to him talk about the game.
CatmanBoo
Is Fisher better in the living room than he is in the bedroom?
Maroon from the womb.
DMCouser06
I like how he mentions how an offense can hurt their defense.

See exhibit A - A&M offense after JFF (and arguably his second year)
Bryant03
AG
I asked Sumlin at Coach's Night Austin if he felt there was a correlation btw his finesse offense and weak defense. He skirted the question. He obviously didn't get it. Jimbo addressed it well. Funny thing is that it's no secret. Sumlin just didn't get it.
A Town Ag
I can't say I have ever watched a Sumlin coaching clinic video, but I can guarantee it's nothing like that. That is a ball coach that gets it. I can't freaking wait.
JMR
S
Thanks for sharing, these were a breath of fresh air.
crunchyo
*********I can't wait for this man to Coach our team. Stuttering Sumlin is out and we finally have a legitimate coach.
Mr. Peterman
Listened to him speak a few years ago at the THSCA Convention.

Spoke for an hour just breaking down the snag concept and making small adjustments to attack every type of coverage. It was great. One of the few college coaches I've been around at a clinic who truly isn't afraid to talk ball.
agent-maroon
AG
Fisher is to my BAS what rain is to a drought.

My crops are saved!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rudyjax
AG
If you're expecting creativity from Jimbo, you're going to be disappointed.
hunter2012
AG
Unthought Known said:

Who said anything about creativity? I'll take effectiveness and efficiency over creatively every time. Jimbo's offense is all about efficiency. Like he said in the video, his goal is to win football games, not lead the country in offense.

But I suppose the haters don't want Jimbo to be successful in the first place, so please complain some more about creative football.
Rudyjax
AG
Wrong thread.
Bill Superman
AG
hunter2012 said:

Unthought Known said:

Who said anything about creativity? I'll take effectiveness and efficiency over creatively every time. Jimbo's offense is all about efficiency. Like he said in the video, his goal is to win football games, not lead the country in offense.

But I suppose the haters don't want Jimbo to be successful in the first place, so please complain some more about creative football.

Maybe this guy thought someone like Mazzone was creative with a total of five different plays under different formations.
HunterAggie
Bill Superman said:

hunter2012 said:

Unthought Known said:

Maybe this guy thought someone like Mazzone was creative with a total of five different plays under different formations.
Sumlin gave us reasons to smile at some points over 6 seasons.

Mazzone never made me smile - not once. I just don't get his play calling nor his offensive philosophy.

However, IMHO, the Fisher / Dickey combo is going to give us plenty of reasons to smile.
HunterAggie

The Elko Era has begun
Rudyjax
AG
Jimbo doesn't go for it on fourth.

How many times does it have to happen before TexAgs loses it's mind after a loss?

O/U 5?
MMantle
AG
I'll be happy if he can just convert 3rd-and-1.

RR
HunterAggie
Unthought Known said:

Jimbo doesn't go for it on fourth.

How many times does it have to happen before TexAgs loses it's mind after a loss?

O/U 5?
Every coach has a philosophy.

I always hit on 16. At least I am consistent.
HunterAggie

The Elko Era has begun
ashley
We need to remember that it's never really the formations that win football games, it's players. Ask any good coach.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
A successful offense or defense is about fitting a system to your players, coaching them up, skillfully calling plays, and a hundred other little factors. No offense or defense thrives on a single factor like "just the players." Coaches just say that to make players and their mammas and papas feel good.

Players are an important factor, but far from the only factor.
Thanks and gig'em
ashley
Ok, but if you don't believe me just watch next years results and compare to a couple years from now when he gets in better players. I was just trying to make it simple for you.
His skillful playcalling will get better with better players. Fisher won a national championship but last year he's wasn't so great with not so good players.
tblackmon
DE4D
AG
Quote:

if some of the players don't understand it, Jimbo won't trust them in the offense, and therefore won't play them, nor have them featured in the offense. There have been countless times when Seminole fans have screamed, "I don't care if he's not running the right route, or not understanding the offense! Just run a play that guarantees the 5-star WR get the ball, and let him do 5-star work on lesser talent!!" Nope.

this basically answers about 35% of the threads I have seen on here this season.

edit:

HAHA - well it wasn't VANDY, but does ring a bell....

Quote:

This sometimes leads to pure frustration. If the team is playing poorly against Wake Forest, for example and finds itself up by 7 later in the game, Jimbo will play the situation, and protect the 7 point lead to win the game, rather than just running his regular offense (e.g., 3 runs to run the clock, and a punt to trust his defense). This is cool in that he wins games, but I GUARANTEE you there will be times when the Aggies will beat a team like Vanderbilt by 5, and people will be mad, saying "The game shouldn't have been a nail bitter! We have so much more talent, we should have blown them out!!" That's not how Jimbo operates - he operates to play the situation and win the game.
Athendor
AG
Wow that post was eerily accurate. Like the ONLY things he missed on was Craig coaching QBs, Jimbo getting Elko, and Gunnell.
"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned how to walk forward."

Franklin Delano Roosevelt
ashley
Believe me now?
oneeyedag
Offensive philosophy also explains why it takes so long to get the play off.
samhoustonag
oneeyedag said:

Offensive philosophy also explains why it takes so long to get the play off.
Which is fine when ahead by three touchdowns. Incredibly frustrating when behind.
stir8ag
Thought this was worth a bump going in to year 3. A lot of this has held to be true

https://www.secrant.com/rant/texas-a-m-sports/what-to-expect-from-jimbo-from-an-fsu-fan/73897238/
hunter2012
AG
The poster is especially proven with Mond, he beat out Starkel not because he was the better more accurate QB but rather he picked up and understood the offense better(also Starkel being a gunslinger). It also explains why Smith didn't get more touches. I also think that Jimbo's attachments to his staff was a result of FSU not giving him the budget to headhunt top assistants. WR has not been a weakness for us like it was for FSU(thank Texas 7-on-7 system). Either way we'll know if it's a weakness if we continue to flop on RB recruiting and never make changes.

I for one really like the offense and just wish Mond could hit the deep-ball occasionally against top defenses. It opens up the running game and the underneath routes. Hopefully the injection of speed will payoff for that this year...
greg.w.h
AG
The timeliness of the bump with a discussion on not having a practice seems the most important motivation for it.

I am not a fan of the hypothetical as originally presented, and the situation we are currently in is not sufficiently similar to deserve the comparison.

I heard Bobby Bowden speak out of great compassion for some of his players and asking the audience to understand many of them not only grew up in less favorable circumstances, but most didn't have a father or father figure.

The notion that someone steps into that responsibility and helps his players not only fully realize their athletic potential in the field but also help them develop both academic and social skills like answering questions in a presser can't be over emphasized. Latitude in accomplishing that should be expected.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Neither Ashley nor journalist are wrong. Unless the opposing coach sucks or washed up, not likely to get over w/ vastly inferior talent.

I still think jimbo is a great play caller. He recognized that the defense was the strength of the team and called plays accordingly. Many head coaches will favor their side of the ball and cannot stand seeing the coordinator on the other side of the ball look better than him. Offensive hcs seem to be especially bad about this. Many will get yards but create turnovers and expose the defense in the process. The team loses 38-24 bc the defense was forced to defend 80 snaps and several short fields. Then the hc blames his defense. Thankfully, not jimbo.

Jimbo knows when he has the short stack. He finds a few exploitable wrinkles and tries to shorten the game. Not an accident that jimbos record ats is so good.

I thought the okie lite was one of the best called games. He came up with looks on top of looks. The fumbles made the game closer than it should have been.
Hawk2007
FriendlyAg said:

I fear Jimbo can talk a good game, but will continue to be mediocre. Jimbo is not doing any better or worse than Sumlin at this point.

2012 - First Year
Wins AT Auburn AT Alabama
2013 - Second year
No notable wins

2018 - first year
HOME Kentucky HOME LSU
2019 - Second year
No notable wins

Of course, the jury is still out on Jimbo, but I hope that if we do moderately well this year (8-2 or 9-1 or even 10-0), we don't decide to give Jimbo a 5 year contract extension on top of his current tenner.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.