Story Poster
Texas A&M Football

A&M Chancellor John Sharp details high expectations for coaching hire

November 30, 2017

Texas A&M Chancellor John Sharp on Thursday indicated a new football coach could be announced as soon as Monday.

Sharp met briefly with reporters following a 2 1/2 hour Board of Regents meeting which he said set parameters of what could be offered to the successor to Kevin Sumlin, who was fired on Sunday after six mostly mediocre seasons.

He said another meeting is the next step in hiring a coach, which is expected to be Jimbo Fisher of Florida State. He indicated a coach could be announced at the next meeting.

“We’ll have some announcements shortly of future board meetings,” Sharp said.

When pressed when that next meeting would likely take place Sharp said:

“I would say within a day you’ll see another meeting announced.”

Once the next meeting is scheduled, A&M would be required to wait 72 hours before holding the meeting.

If the meeting was announced on Friday the Board of Regents could meet again on Monday to offer and/or approve the hiring of a coach.

Therefore, if the meeting was announced on Friday the Board of Regents could meet again on Monday to offer and/or approve the hiring of a coach.

Florida State ends its regular season on Saturday against Louisiana-Monroe.

Although Fisher is widely reported as the Aggies' choice, Sharp played coy.

“We have candidates … a few candidates,” he said. “It’s just not something we can talk about right now.”

However, he hinted that A&M would indeed hire Fisher, who is 83-23 in eight seasons at Florida State. He led the Seminoles to the 2013 national championship and into the College Football Playoff in 2014.

“We’ve got the best facilities in the SEC,” Sharp said. “We’ve got the best stadium. We intend to have the best coach when this is overwith.”

Though Sharp would not say how much money Fisher would be offered, he did reveal A&M’s expectation for for its next coach.

“Nothing serious … we just want to win the national championship.”

Discussion from...

A&M Chancellor John Sharp details high expectations for coaching hire

28,262 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by swc93
moo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He sure does have quite the s*** eating grin.
Mr. Black
This looks like a done deal.
gocobra
AG
"Oh it was a great meeting." (grin)

(I know exactly what's going on and who the new coach is... but you clowns would screw it all up if i told you anything, so I'll just stand here and grin.)

C4D
AG
Dang. That was rough.
MCAg19
Yeah, I didn't hear ol' John making any references to the real deal maker in all of this. I know it's not formally finished yet, but at end of the day, all of the money and all of the facilities wouldn't have made this possible without Woodward.
jml2621
MCAg19 said:

Yeah, I didn't hear ol' John making any references to the real deal maker in all of this. I know it's not formally finished yet, but at end of the day, all of the money and all of the facilities wouldn't have made this possible without Woodward.

Agreed. Sharp's the only guy who could screw this thing up now.
Lonestar1
AG
Thats all we want John.. just a Natty... no big deal.
rocky the dog
AG
"What did you have for lunch, Mr. Sharp?"

"Fish....errrrrr.......I can't tell you right now."
biobioprof
"details" isn't the word I would use here.

more like generalizes.
swc93
AG
High expectations?

How about make the fan base excited about games again?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.