Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Report: Gators eye Dan Mullen for HC vacancy

12,358 Views | 97 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JST92
JST92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Compare Mississippi's state recruiting base to Texas.

How many other schools in Mississippi are in the SEC (where NFL wannabes want to play)? Texas?

What's the nearest town/metroplex to starkville? Now college station?

Have you ever been to starkville/colombus? I lived there for a while and go to visit family/friends occasionally. Also visit family in college station frequently. Can't stay in Columbus long...start hearing banjos.

It's like damned Lubbock...and Mullens recruiting there is absolutely Leach-like amazing.
ordordordordord
njohn87
AG
Gigemags382 said:

Glad we're not going to be dumb and fire our coach midseason like other programs. Going to be loyal little Ags and wait to have our pick of coaches after the season is over of either Chad Morris or Chad Morris.
You know they're not hiring him like, next week, right? They have to do it after the season regardless. The mythical "head start" never matters because in a coaching market as busy as this year, a coach like Mullen would be a fool not to wait to see everything that's open and play his suitors against each other.
Picadillo
Mullen would be a good-to-great choice for any major program. He's always had better than average defenses and special teams, and his offenses have ranged from pass-heavy to his current RPO.

His current offense is fairly simple for a 19-22 player to grasp, hence why they run it so well. He does it well, with 3-star athletes for the most part.

If he gets to a place like FL where he can recruit better talent, watch out.
CajunAggie
AG
Well, there goes one of my top choices....
Tamu_mgm
AG
Good. Get him out of the SEC west!!
msubulldogntx
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/listen-dan-mullens-wife-megan-recalls-unwelcoming-difficult-coaching-can-gainesville/

Kind of matches what I've always heard about Mullen/UF. I doubt he goes there, but who knows.
jml2621
Tosul said:

Dan Mullen can develop players. Interesting to see what he could do at a school with prime recruiting and more funds

Like us...but w/e

Florida is getting a jump at Mullen and Frost.
jml2621
Picadillo said:

Mullen would be a good-to-great choice for any major program. He's always had better than average defenses and special teams, and his offenses have ranged from pass-heavy to his current RPO.

His current offense is fairly simple for a 19-22 player to grasp, hence why they run it so well. He does it well, with 3-star athletes for the most part.

If he gets to a place like TX where he can recruit better talent, watch out.

fix
Joe Exotic
AG
Mullen will have more access to talent at UF than he will in Texas.
jml2621
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

The comparison is between MS and TX.

re: Florida vs. Texas

There's a bit more more talent in Texas and more access, but more competition:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/6/28/12040586/rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california

although BDF schools: Baylor, Tech, TCU aren't strong competition for the 4 and 5 star players

Florida

P5
UF
FSU
Miami

AAC
USF
UCF

USF and UCF are arguably far stronger competition for recruits in Florida than UH and SMU

Texas

P5
A&M
t.u.

BDF
TCU
tceh
baylor

AAC
Houston
SMU

Almost a wash because FSU and Miami are now gangbuster recruiting teams again...slight edge overall to Florida over Texas in splitting the pie. Arguably, the higher ranking among Florida schools is more coaching than splitting up a slightly smaller pie with fewer programs.

jml2621

Florida 7
A&M 13

Florida 11
A&M 13

Florida 11
A&M 16

A&M 11
Florida 21

A&M 5
Florida 9

I just don't see a substantial and consistent advantage for Florida. As Richt establishes himself, 4 and 5* competition will become even more fierce in the state as The U rises again.

His time as UF's OC might help, but that was a decade ago...the recruits Mullen would be seeing were 4-7 years old.

Joe Exotic
AG
jml2621 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/6/28/12040586/rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california

although BDF schools: Baylor, Tech, TCU aren't strong competition for the 4 and 5 star players

Florida

P5
UF
FSU
Miami

AAC
USF
UCF

USF and UCF are arguable far stronger competition for recruits in Florida than UH and SMU

Texas

P5
A&M
t.u.

BDF
TCU
tceh
baylor

AAC
Houston
SMU

Almost a wash because FSU and Miami are now gangbuster recruiting teams again...slight edge overall to Texas in splitting the pie. Arguably, the higher ranking among Florida schools is more coaching that splitting up a slightly smaller pie with fewer programs.

Gainesville's location gives them close access to Georgia and other areas in the south. Their recruiting has never stopped at their state line like it seems to do for Texas schools.
MaxPower
It's irrelevant. Our BMA's will settle for Morris. And I truly mean settle.
jml2621
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

jml2621 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Florida

P5
UF
FSU
Miami

AAC
USF
UCF

USF and UCF are arguable far stronger competition for recruits in Florida than UH and SMU

Texas

P5
A&M
t.u.

BDF
TCU
tceh
baylor

AAC
Houston
SMU

Almost a wash because FSU and Miami are now gangbuster recruiting teams again...slight edge overall to Texas in splitting the pie. Arguably, the higher ranking among Florida schools is more coaching that splitting up a slightly smaller pie with fewer programs.

Gainesville's location gives them close access to Georgia and other areas in the south. Their recruiting has never stopped at their state line like it seems to do for Texas schools.

Heck, A&M used to CLEAN UP in western Louisiana. I quickly counted 6 from LA, 4 from Florida on A&M's roster

Also, U Georgia is in a much better position to recruit in their home state now that Kirby Smart is rolling..

There are currently only 4 Georgia natives in the UF roster, with 3 from the ATL area...more national than local. Not that it matters, but FSU is far closer to the border.

So I see no advantage at UF over A&M in taking players from neighboring states.
jml2621
MaxPower said:

It's irrelevant. Our BMA's will settle for Morris. And I truly mean settle.

SMU has USF, Navy, Memphis ahead. One would expect to go 1-2 as expected...it would be bizarre CFB theater if we still bit.

I get the B.A.S. though.
MidTnAg
AG
Mullins took himself out of consideration for the last Florida coaching hire. I doubt he will want to consider it again.
TheMarksMen
AG
It'll be Scott Frost, Vegas odds
schmellba99
AG
JST92 said:

June Jones did better. Facts. Keep ignoring them to support mediocrity
Jones' best season at SMU was a whopping 8-5, he did that his second year in. Never did any better. He then decided 2 games into the season in 2014 to quit without any notice. Left SMU with a losing record too, his record declined steadily with his recruits on top of that.

Morris hasn't had a whole lot of anything to work with and has increased winning every year he's been there. He started with a team that went 1-11 in 2014. Not exactly a group of stellar world beater athletes who had this monster tradition of winning.

I see you won't answer the question of why you have such a hate for the guy, so I'm going to chalk it up as something personal - he boned your wife, wouldn't play your kid even after you told him how good he was, something along those lines.

I don't necessarily think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread either, so I'll head that off at the pass now. Haven't lobbied for or against him really. But I recognize that the guy has had success every where he's been and that you are cherry picking what you can and will give him credit for.

I think the notion that he has some connection with A&M being a pro or a con is f'n silly though, and that seems to be the major sticking point with most people - the fact that he went to school and got a degree here seems to be a major issue, and I honestly don't know why. I don't care if a guy got a masters from tu and beat us 4 years in a row while he played there - if he can come to A&M and win, that's what matters. Morris, by any objective measure, has a good resume in coaching - both as a coordinator and as a head coach at an abysmal football school so far. If you have such pecker envy that you cannot admit that, then you are incapable of any logical or rational discussion.

Is he the next savior? No clue, but I'm not going to sht can the guy either because his resume tells me that's a silly thing to do, and I'm not going to discount him because he has ties to A&M or because he hasn't magically won a national championship at SMU in his 3rd year there either.

schmellba99
AG
Lungblood said:

Mullen has a very solid resume at a backwater joke of a school in a dirt poor state. He's like Mike Leach without the odd personality profile.
Until you weed out the cupcake wins and look at ranked opponents. Then it's not all that great. Pretty bad, actually.

MetoliusAg
Mullen beat us, beat Lsu, but got embarrassed by Auburn and had no answers for that. I'd rather keep KDS and hire an elite OC than hire Mullen..
MetoliusAg
schmellba99 said:

JST92 said:

June Jones did better. Facts. Keep ignoring them to support mediocrity
Jones' best season at SMU was a whopping 8-5, he did that his second year in. Never did any better. He then decided 2 games into the season in 2014 to quit without any notice. Left SMU with a losing record too, his record declined steadily with his recruits on top of that.

Morris hasn't had a whole lot of anything to work with and has increased winning every year he's been there. He started with a team that went 1-11 in 2014. Not exactly a group of stellar world beater athletes who had this monster tradition of winning.

I see you won't answer the question of why you have such a hate for the guy, so I'm going to chalk it up as something personal - he boned your wife, wouldn't play your kid even after you told him how good he was, something along those lines.

I don't necessarily think he is the greatest thing since sliced bread either, so I'll head that off at the pass now. Haven't lobbied for or against him really. But I recognize that the guy has had success every where he's been and that you are cherry picking what you can and will give him credit for.

I think the notion that he has some connection with A&M being a pro or a con is f'n silly though, and that seems to be the major sticking point with most people - the fact that he went to school and got a degree here seems to be a major issue, and I honestly don't know why. I don't care if a guy got a masters from tu and beat us 4 years in a row while he played there - if he can come to A&M and win, that's what matters. Morris, by any objective measure, has a good resume in coaching - both as a coordinator and as a head coach at an abysmal football school so far. If you have such pecker envy that you cannot admit that, then you are incapable of any logical or rational discussion.

Is he the next savior? No clue, but I'm not going to sht can the guy either because his resume tells me that's a silly thing to do, and I'm not going to discount him because he has ties to A&M or because he hasn't magically won a national championship at SMU in his 3rd year there either.
Well said.
Seanzy2012
AG
sincereag said:

Seanzy2012 said:

I think Mullen is a good coach.

I don't think he'll ever win big in his career. He's good for some wins and winning a few games he shouldn't, but overall I think his only an above average coach.

Completely disagree. It was pretty obvious to me from watching Saturday night that he is a hell of a coach.

One game? That's what did it for you?

Check his record dude. He's an above average coach.
jml2621
Smoke-N-Mirrors said:

Gigemags382 said:

2008 4-8
2007 8-5
2006 3-9
2005 3-8
2004 3-8
2003 2-10
2002 3-9
2001 3-8

So Mullen hasn't won anything big while at Miss State but it's ok because they were bad before.
SMU just as bad before Morris but he sucks because he hasn't won anything big?
SMU went to 4 straight bowl games (2009-2012) not long before the 1-11 season. SMU won 3 of those bowls over Pitt, Nevada, and Fresno State under June Jones.

SMU lobbied to enter the Big12, but were rebuffed. Two years later June Jones was gone.

So the SMU narrative is not as simple as some are portraying.
JST92
AG
I don't know the guy. I hate the stupidity on this board by you and a select few others that suggest that there is any good reason whatever that he should be A&Ms next coach ober scores of others. Several threads full of facts, figures and lists conclusively make the point over and over again and yet you (plural) continue with ever increasing foolish responses...now it's that i hate the guy...seriously? Hate? Shame he's not black or you could call me a racist. Go back to that awesome chestnut where his record is somehow the same as sabans or meyers or kellys or stoops the moment before they were picked up by P5 teams. It WAS stupid, but at least it hadn't devolved to a step above the childish retort of "i know you are, but what am i?"

Or I can just head you off at the pass - my dad can beat up your dad.
ordordordordord
schmellba99
AG
JST92 said:

I don't know the guy. I hate the stupidity on this board by you and a select few others that suggest that there is any good reason whatever that he should be A&Ms next coach ober scores of others. Several threads full of facts, figures and lists conclusively make the point over and over again and yet you (plural) continue with ever increasing foolish responses...now it's that i hate the guy...seriously? Hate? Shame he's not black or you could call me a racist. Go back to that awesome chestnut where his record is somehow the same as sabans or meyers or kellys or stoops the moment before they were picked up by P5 teams. It WAS stupid, but at least it hadn't devolved to a step above the childish retort of "i know you are, but what am i?"

Or I can just head you off at the pass - my dad can beat up your dad.
Dude, you are way off the reservation, and apparently too damned good to actually read anything I've said.

Good luck, I'm sure you have all the answers we need.
Showstopper
AG
MidTnAg said:

Mullins took himself out of consideration for the last Florida coaching hire. I doubt he will want to consider it again.
Clearly a Rick Barnes move. It's easy to remove yourself from consideration for jobs once you know you aren't getting them.
AgSportsFan89
AG
IIRC Mullen was one of the top candidates for the job before McElwain took the position. It didn't seem like he was too interested the last time around. It may be possible he prefers to exceed the low expectations at MSU in comparison to a Florida. Or maybe it is bad blood.

I just really doubt he will go there. Probably just an agent angling for more money or the obvious ties he has being an easy connection to those in the know.
Hogtown
I would be very surprised if Mullen were the next UF coach. Just got rid of a Coach that never could seem to place nice with the administration. Doubt they are looking to replace Mac with yet another *****ly Coach.
JST92
AG
schmellba99 said:

I do step away from this thread, the forum, the site, and the computer from time to time to do big boy things like work, and eat and defecate and have a life...didn't mean i wont answer.

My wife? Seriously, dude? You want to edit that post or leave it there to let everyone know what you are.
ordordordordord

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.