Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Tailgate Questions for a Newcomer

5,153 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Cimos
Cimos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Backstory:

Hello Aggies! I just moved to Dallas from California 3 months ago, and one of my favorite hobbies is tailgating! I have spent many of tailgates at my home school San Diego State, as well as several away games for SDSU. However, I have never been a part of the SEC tailgate experience, and I hear its like none other. In fact, I hear Texas A&M is one of the best in the country. So 3 of my closest buddies are coming into town next weekend and we are driving down for the South Carolina game.

Questions:

Although I have done extensive online research, I have some questions and some things I would like to clarify. Hopefully, you all can help me out!

- We plan to tailgate at Spence park, do we really have to get there right at noon Friday to get a spot? We currently aren't planning to arrive until later in the afternoon, say 4PM. My friends cousin goes to school there, and he could possibly reserve us a spot at noon, but he doesn't have the canopies - can he rope off an area?

- What is the best place to unload the gear on Saturday morning? Houston street? Where do I actually park after unloading?

- What time should we arrive on gameday, considering the 6:30 PM start? Man we had anxiety until Monday thinking you could get another 11AM start time...

- Charcoal or gas grill?

- Will my wifi hotspot work at the tailgate? AT&T. Need it for streaming to the TV.

- Can we leave our setup there during the game safely?

Thanks everyone!
74OA
AG
Scroll down........
AgOutsideAustin
AG
From beaches to concrete, you chose poorly.
Have fun at the game.
agnerd
AG
If you want "a spot", get there whenever,
If you want a good spot along the road, get there before noon on Friday.
I like gas because you don't have to worry about disposing of charcoal.
Wifi won't stream video.
Phoenix1
AgOutsideAustin said:

From beaches to concrete, you chose poorly.
Have fun at the game.

Exactly- why would you leave San Diego to move to Dallas?
VatoLocoAggie
Howdy!

You will have a blast. No one tailgates better than Ags. We have been told by countless guests that we have the best tailgating and gameday atmosphere. We also have the best fans and gameday venue.

You are smart to leave that California trash place and move to God's country.
Welcome!
PlanoAg98
AG
Quote:

Exactly- why would you leave San Diego to move to Dallas?
Cost of living?
Cimos
Thanks everyone for the responses!

I moved from Los Angeles, working for Toyota Corporate. Our office relocated to Plano, and I decided to move with the company. I agree with most of you, I love the CA weather, beaches, and mountains, but I hate 10% state income tax and the horrid CA government.

I've read the entire 12th man site numerous times, and it has great info. I just wanted to confirm the things I listed above.

As for a spot, I am not familiar with the environment. Is the road spot far superior to being back in the grass?

We hear the atmosphere is great and the people are really nice, so although our tailgate gear is all SDSU branded - we will be rooting for the Aggies and hope to meet plenty of new friends!

As for the streaming games at the tailgate with my hotspot, I can stream fine on it now, and I have heard that AT&T upgrades have been made in the area to accommodate the large crowds. However, not having been there, I cannot confirm that. I need TV, but a dish setup seems like a lot of extra work since I have cable at home.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
If you want free beer, dress in South Carolina clothes.
AggieDadFM19
Welcome to the Aggie Nation! I have kids who have been in both the B12 and SEC, and I've tailgates A LOT over the last few decades, and I will attest that the Aggie gameday experience is up there with the best (if not the best). What makes it special are the fans. Unlike the craziness of the ZOO, you'll find these are some of the best fans (and people) in college football.

Our son is class of '19 so this is our third year. We've always tailgated at Spense Park (BTW, they just renamed it to Aggie Park... My wife is on the Aggie Mom Board. She told me this week) because I love the proximity to the stadium.

WRT getting there at noon, depending on the game you should be ok getting there late, but I wouldn't risk it for the BAMA game. The horn blows at noon and that's when everyone claims their spot. Last year I witnessed Spense (now Aggie) Park get staked out almost completely in less than 10 minutes for the Tennessee game.

One more side note for Aggie Park tailgaters. This year they have a new rule. We can NOW have generators in the Park - as long as they are below 80 db. This is a game changer for us who have been using marine batteries to power our satellite rigs.
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
A visual of spence park

Dr. Horrible
My recommendation: get an invite to a tailgate that is already operating instead of doing your own and give whoever is hosting it some $$$ to help out. That would be a much better situation than trying to figure this all out on your own for the first time...
NightHawk150
AG
Y'all, it's actually called "Aggie Park."

Spence is the little plot of land in front of the Corps Center.
mccag
S
We are in the North East Corner of Spence and are having a few ring dunks that day. Y'all are welcome at ours if things don't work out. Good luck and welcome to Texas!
GIG'EM AGS. One Game At A Time!
runontexas
AG
Send me your location so I can drink your beer.

I assume you're bringing some ballast point with you?
scoodogg
AG
Quote:

Will my wifi hotspot work at the tailgate? AT&T. Need it for streaming to the TV.

I can barely check scores online using my AT&T phone. I can't imagine streaming video would be a good experience.
BenFiasco14
AG
Since when is Spence Park "Aggie Park?"

Did someone get triggered? Is Spence related to the confederacy somehow?

New army BS
Cimos
Thanks for the awesome feedback everyone! I can't wait!

One last question, I keep reading about this best-in-the-country, state-of-the-art wifi technology inside Kyle Field. Is it possible to get on this wifi network if you are tailgating right on Houston street closest to the stadium?

While I plan to use some good rabbit ears for the main network games, one game we want to watch isnt even available on DISH - it is stream only. That is why I keep asking about the stream.

One of our tents will be SDSU branded - so we will be EZ to find. Come by, say hello, eat some korean bbq or california burritos and challenge us to some cornhole or beer pong. Can't wait to meet all of these great fans!

I'll see if my friends can bring out some good SD beer, but Ballast Point has gone national - they sold for like a billion dollars. You can probably find some Sculpin in Texas!
mccag
S
AT&T works good inside the stadium but not so well outside around the stadium.
GIG'EM AGS. One Game At A Time!
Jock 07
AG
Cimos said:

Thanks for the awesome feedback everyone! I can't wait!

One last question, I keep reading about this best-in-the-country, state-of-the-art wifi technology inside Kyle Field. Is it possible to get on this wifi network if you are tailgating right on Houston street closest to the stadium?

While I plan to use some good rabbit ears for the main network games, one game we want to watch isnt even available on DISH - it is stream only. That is why I keep asking about the stream.

One of our tents will be SDSU branded - so we will be EZ to find. Come by, say hello, eat some korean bbq or california burritos and challenge us to some cornhole or beer pong. Can't wait to meet all of these great fans!

I'll see if my friends can bring out some good SD beer, but Ballast Point has gone national - they sold for like a billion dollars. You can probably find some Sculpin in Texas!
bring some modern times, societe, and lost abbey/port
Cimos
I'll see what we can bring Jock.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.