Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Realistic replacements

8,570 Views | 78 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TylerAg98
permabull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
oneeyedag
Dave Knesek said:

Chad Morris is the no-brainer pick. We need a schemer; a "CEO Coach" can't win at A&M.

Someone has been scheming, just not W's-but in dollars.
ABATTBQ11
AG
chipotle said:

It's sends a bad message not firing him tonight.

This. Not firing him means this is acceptable after his last three years of **** ups. Fire him now and set the tone. I don't think any coach would fault us or not agree that we've been patient and that he has had plenty of opportunities.
lhAggie16
AG
It was the part about him not being fired tonight that I disagreed with.
Ishmael-Ag
AG
Hire the ole ball coach to just finish out the season. Promise him a new starring role in "Heisman House - the Movie".
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Do you think he should be? Or will? Or both?
CuervoAg
AG
Frank Wilson - UTSA. Knows the SEC from time at LSU and can recruit Texas and SEC lights out. Was able to take UTSA to first ever bowl LY.

Don't overlook him, cause other programs won't. And we could get him on the cheap.
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son." -- Dean Wormer, Faber College President
tjack16
AG
77GigEm00 said:

I'm sorry, but unless that was a joke thats the worst plan I think I have seen ever for coach succession. Really hoping that was a joke.

I was adding them to the list of possible candidates... obviously they are not my first picks.
trm94
AG
It's Morris, and you will be surprised what he does this year. He creamed his opponent this weekend, and has SMU looking pretty damned good so far.

Just watch
Trooper1016
High freeze! He'll get you laid and allow us to win.
merch
Having Chip take over right now makes too much sense...so it won't happen. It could happen but it won't. Why? We are the aggies the aggies are we!
jml2621
Ginormus Ag said:

Let's see how DJ Durkin does this year.

Jeez, some of the names being shown are a freakin' joke.
MikeA245
Ken Niumatalolo
PJ Fleck - Could have already been our HC
schmendeler
AG
Petrino
Agsgirl
Boiling Denim said:

See if any of Chip Kelly, Les Miles or Bob Stoops wants to interim coach this year for a future contract

Evaluate at end of season and compare with names already mentioned in this thread
Totally agree with this! Either of these would be better than the crap fest we witnessed tonight. And send Mazzone packing with KDS...He doesn't know his behind from a hole in the ground.
Vegas
Heard Brinks Truck parked in Washington...
lhAggie16
AG
I think he will for sure. Last night I thought he should be fired today but the options as to whom the interim would be is very limited so we might as well keep him for the regular season...
TopoTacos
AG
Unless he wins out he is gone at the end of the season, but we don't have any viable options to fire him now. Morris would be an interesting option, assuming he keeps his trend of turning SMU around from the "less than nothing" roster he inherited from June Jones.

Anyone who thinks we are getting someone like Jimbo or even Gundy or Kelly is delusional. We will need to find an up and comer. Fuente would be my choice but I don't think VaTech would let him go quietly at this point.
Sex Panther
AG
I don't care if he's a West Coast guy, with a sick kid, who loves Starbucks...

Woodward better call Petersen first and tell him he's giving him a blank check.
Ag03 CQE
AG
How about this guy?

All he needs is one good linebacker with repressed anger issues and we might finally win the Bourbon Bowl.
TyHolden
AG
Morris, aranda, Pruitt, Durkin, fleck, Wilson, maybe taggert?

These are realistic.
Mister Doctor
Bob Stoops
Dave Aranda
TexasAggie_97
AG
TxAg76 said:

It's Morris.
Quit fighting it.
Then we will be back in the same spot in 5 years.
CajunAggie
AG
Clay Helton?

Hell, I'm just throwing it out there.
aggiehawg
AG
DSAg44 said:

Morris, aranda, Pruitt, Durkin, fleck, Wilson, maybe taggert?

These are realistic.
Some of the above are in the early stages of contracts, meaning big buy-outs that effectively remove them from the market. Taggart won't leave Oregon after one year. Ditto, Fleck and Pruitt.

Aranda is a DC, so he might consider a HC job but might have some buy-out. Never know with Alleva and LSU contracts being retroactively "altered." Besides, most likely Orgeron is gone and Aranda slides into HC at LSU either this year or next. He'll be patient.

Durkin? IDK. Wilson? IDK.
fender88
Maybe Stoops will come out of retirement. I believe he had a clause in his contract to coach for A&M
Escobars army
Anyone that thinks we will hire an unknown commodity, unless that coach has a historically good year this season, is not reading the tea leafs. The BOR will demand a top name and will pay for it. I wouldn't be suprised if we landed a name that no one sees coming that is already under a contract we have to buy out. We have alot to offer, top class coming in, top facilities, $$$$, and a lot of young offensive talent. Chip could walk in with our talent (Mond is right out of his mold) and average 45 per game. Go get him now! He's a genius on offense and take Charisma's salary to go get a guy with proven results.
fightinag
Get Stoops out of retirement to come here tomorrow
trm94
AG
BOR will demand nothing - they are taking their cues from those with money. And Morris was told last year through his agent that he's the front runner

Several DC's are in play, though. Everyone else is basically a pipe dream. Do NOT forget we owe Sumlin 10M within 60 days of termination
Fightin Ag491
CajunAggie said:

Hunter,

I'd be willing to try try the Kelly experiment for this season.

If not, make Jimbo Fisher say NO to $10M per year.

Then Gundy? NO on Chad Morriss and NO on Larry Fedora.
And when Jimbo loses his first game on campus? Unless we realistically assume he's gonna 15-0 in year one

No coach in the nation, no matter how vaunted they are, are going to take $10 million to take a new job at A&M, or any college for that matter, in 2018.

Additionally, Jimbo would not leave FSU for A&M. At all.
Fightin Ag491
Escobars army said:

Anyone that thinks we will hire an unknown commodity, unless that coach has a historically good year this season, is not reading the tea leafs. The BOR will demand a top name and will pay for it. I wouldn't be suprised if we landed a name that no one sees coming that is already under a contract we have to buy out. We have alot to offer, top class coming in, top facilities, $$$$, and a lot of young offensive talent. Chip could walk in with our talent (Mond is right out of his mold) and average 45 per game. Go get him now! He's a genius on offense and take Charisma's salary to go get a guy with proven results.

Texas said the same things. Their current regime is 0-1 with a home defeat to the mighty Maryland Terrapins
Aggie_in_Atlanta
AG
chipotle said:

It's sends a bad message not firing him tonight.
If they had told him he wasn't welcome on the plane ride back and that he should take Uber back to College Station, I'd fully support the team and the administration.

Lane Kiffin his a$$
biki1121
The new coach should be a defense guru who is all about the details. A&M will never win the SEC with a gimmick offense. A stout defense, effective big SEC running backs, and a QB that can manage a game. A&M had that for years with Jackie and RC. Saban wins championships with that formula. It works. Y'all have a nice day.
njohn87
AG
biki1121 said:

The new coach should be a defense guru who is all about the details. A&M will never win the SEC with a gimmick offense. A stout defense, effective big SEC running backs, and a QB that can manage a game. A&M had that for years with Jackie and RC. Saban wins championships with that formula. It works. Y'all have a nice day.
Alabama wins with that formula because they're able to hoard ridiculous amounts of talent that we could never dream to match. It's why everybody who hires a Saban assistant trying to replicate his formula falls on their face.
RAB83
AG
lhAggie16 said:

AD said Sumlin had to win this year. 6 or 7 wins isn't winning. Why beat around the bush to have the same turnout?
Time for the BMAs to evaluate Morris?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.