Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

I'm so happy we're in the SEC

8,986 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Luke The Drifter
Hogtown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Jeez...lighten up Aggies. Ya'll are doing great. Like many national blabbermouths have said, the SEC first team players are similar to other folks first team players....the difference between the SEC and other conferences is depth, particularly on D-line. It takes years to staff a deep D-line and ya'll are making dang good progress. If you had Myles Garrett at the time you had Johnny you very well may have won the SEC that year. To win the SEC, everything has to fall in place....it won't be long before you have a Manziel and a couple of Garrett's and then you'll be in the driver's seat. Ya'll have the tools and the will...its just a matter of time. Oh yeah, TAMU is already a "player" in regards to track& field, baseball, softball etc....it isn't all about football.
Agsuffering@bulaw
So the Saban thing is just a matter of interpretation. But by that same argument, one could say that;

-Urban,Harbaugh, and James Franklin will scare coaches away from the B1G
-Dabo and Jimbo will scare coaches away from the ACC

I dont buy it. If anything, I would think any major program in the SEC would be appealling. Spring the upset against Saban, and everything else is downhill.

I think the radio voice was looking at Les MIles and Mark Rich and projected it onto the whole conference. Look at who else was fired in the past 5 years (not those who quit or retired):

-John L Smith- was an interim disaster
-Chizik, was crap without Cam
-Will Mushcamp, was horrible
-Joker Phillips- never faced Saban but still lost plenty of games
-Derek Dooley, never had a winning season
-Mark Richt
-Les Miles
-Freeze, for off-field issues

The cajuns never liked Les Miles. They felt that he was underachieving with what Saban had left him. They were probably right. Miles was usually good for at least 1 unacceptable loss a year. I still think they pulled the trigger too quickly, but I at least get why they made the move. Then they hired Orgeron full-time, which makes me doubt their wisdom. But if Miles had not gotten shut out by Arkansas or taken some of the bowl losses, etc, he still has a job. Yes, most programs would have given him another year,

Richt was a stranger case, since he rebuilt UGA rather than inherit it. At the same time, he never played for a title. I do not agree with the decision, but I get it.
NyAggie
AG
Enlightening to see that bama, Uga, florida and LSU are the only teams with a better overall conference record than us since we joined

For as much as we complain, we are not sure that far off from achieving success

Luke The Drifter
AG
Look at the teams ahead of A&M over the last 5 years:

.900 - Bama
.675 - Georgia
.675 - Florida
.625 - LSU
.525 - Texas A&M

Now think of their head coaching situations.

Bama - will keep Saban for life
Georgia - wasn't satisfied with Richt, parted ways and went with Smart
Florida - wasn't satisfied with Muschamp, parted ways and went with McElwain
LSU - wasn't satisfied with the grass eater, parted ways and went with Orgeron

Point is, 3 of the 4 teams ahead of us...despite obvious success...were not pleased with the direction and performance of the program. None of the coaches left under a scandal (Freeze at Ole Miss) and none went on to better jobs (Franklin at Vandy). None retired for health reasons (Pinkel at Mizzou). UGA, UF and LSU wanted to win more so they made changes they thought would accomplish that goal. Time will tell if they were good choices or not...but at least they stepped out there instead of settling for the status quo.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
NumberEinAg
AG
I agree. I just looked at the Sips 2017 schedule. Horrible. They have 2 decent games and they are both on the road (LA and Dallas). I'd rather be middle of the pack in the SEC and play Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Arkansas, LSU, Miss State, Florida, South Carolina and UCLA, versus the crap they play. We have 9 GREAT games. Love the SEC!!
Artimus Gordon
I Love the SEC. haven't missed the big12 one damn bit. I don't know why we even bother to give them any damn attention. If sumlin can't get the job done then we will get somebody that can.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Look at the teams ahead of A&M over the last 5 years:

.900 - Bama
.675 - Georgia
.675 - Florida
.625 - LSU
.525 - Texas A&M

Now think of their head coaching situations.

Bama - will keep Saban for life
Georgia - wasn't satisfied with Richt, parted ways and went with Smart
Florida - wasn't satisfied with Muschamp, parted ways and went with McElwain
LSU - wasn't satisfied with the grass eater, parted ways and went with Orgeron

Point is, 3 of the 4 teams ahead of us...despite obvious success...were not pleased with the direction and performance of the program. None of the coaches left under a scandal (Freeze at Ole Miss) and none went on to better jobs (Franklin at Vandy). None retired for health reasons (Pinkel at Mizzou). UGA, UF and LSU wanted to win more so they made changes they thought would accomplish that goal. Time will tell if they were good choices or not...but at least they stepped out there instead of settling for the status quo.

Yes, but LSU and UGA had what 9+ years with their head coaches before making a move? And Muschamp at UF was clearly not working out as his last two seasons finished with only 4 and 6 wins. His first year also was 7-6. So 3 out of his 4 years at Florida he never exceeded 7 wins, and that was when the SEC East was bad outside Georgia and USC.

The situations of those 3 programs don't compare tightly with A&M. Sumlin in his 5 years here has never won less than 8 in a tougher division. GRANTED, I know that is not enough for this program and fans, especially due to the late year collapses. However, it's naieve to look at the 3 programs ahead of us and copy them for the sake of copying them when our situations aren't the same. NOW, if Sumlin continues to max out at 8 wins, or even less and continues to collapse late over the next season or 2, then yes it's time to move on, but we are right at the pivotal point in his coaching tenure. There's never been quite a make or break year like this one for Sumlin, and it would be foolish to act rashly and fire him now / during the season.
Tyrone Shoelaces
AG
Two of the 4 teams with a better winning percentage than A&M play in the softer SECe. Would they still have a better percentage if they played in the west?
ILuvAgLand
Thanks hog. It's nice to have comraderie and be appreciated. The SEC is more than just a sports conference. So glad we left the bdf.
atm86
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

TLDR Stadium Capacity List

100k+ (4 in SEC, 3 in B1G, 1 in BDF)
Michigan
Penn St
Ohio St
AGS
TENNESSEE
L$U
BAMA
sips

90k+ (1 in SEC, 2 in PAC, 1 in B1G)
So Cal
UGA
Ucla
Nebraska

80k+ (3 in SEC, 2 in ACC, 1 in B1G, 1 in BDF)
UF
AUB
ou
Fl st
Clemson
Notre Dame
Wiscy
SCe

70k+ (2 in SEC, 2 in B1G, 1 in PAC)
Mich St
ARK
MIZZOU
Iowa
Washington

60k+ (5 in ACC, 3 in SEC, 4 in BDF, 2 in PAC, 1 in B1G)
Pitt-they share it with the Steelers, dont know if they fill it regularly
Va Tech
Az St
Miami- share w/ the Dolphins
OM
N Carolina
Cal
Iowa St
Virginia
MSU
KY
llinois
WV
tech
okie lite

less than 60k
NC State
Perdue
Louisville
Arizona
Georgia tech
Oregon
Colorado
Indiana
Minnesota
Rutgers
Maryland
Kansas
K State
Stanford
Syracuse
Northwestern
Oregon St
Utah
Baylor
tcu
Boston Col
Vandy
Wash St.
Duke
Wake
So why don't we rent out the stadium to a pro team? /sarc
Luke The Drifter
AG
atm86 said:

So why don't we rent out the stadium to a pro team? /sarc

Because there are no good pro teams in Texas.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.