Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

“The Legends of Texas High School Football” - Odessa Permian

24,207 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by owenfieldreams
TexasAggie81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tam Hollingshead, a former Aggie football coach, used to coach for Permian in its glory (Friday Night Lights) days. He's a really good guy. In fact, his entire family is .
Aston04
AG
Mojo hasn't been a big deal since at least the mid 90s (i was in HS then) . That's a long time for being back to obscurity and still care much.
OilFieldIRI
S
Col. Steve Austin said:

rhart said:

What year did Shaud Williams play at Andrews?

I know he beat my Calallen Wildcats in the State baseball tourney. Had an Aunt and Uncle in Andrews, (worked for Exxon) and an Aunt and Uncle in Frankel City (He was the plant manager for Phillips 66 plant).

95-98 for football. First time I ever heard of him I was reading the Sports section of the Houston Chronicle and saw a little blurb where Shaud Williams ran for 440 yards against Fort Stockton. That was his Soph year.

The year they won that State Championship in baseball, Shaud Williams stole 48 bases in 48 attempts, 3 in the State tournament. Never heard of that kind of success rate on the base paths.

My step-dad worked for Exxon (mom worked for Amoco), he probably knew both of your Aunts and Uncles (seems like he knew pretty much everyone in and around Andrews). What are their names if you don't mind?

I remember the night Williams ran for 440... I was on the field for FS. Shaud was good in everything. I first competed against him as 10 year old baseball players in random tournaments. Personally, I thought his best sport was baseball. When he hit the ball it just came off of the bat a little harder than most. The Andrews team that won state in baseball was loaded and fun to play against. I think they had 2-3 kids drafted and something like 5-6 go on to play college ball in some capacity.

Here's another story...
In 1997 we played at Andrews in late October. It was a very cold night and was a district game. We (Fort Stockton) needed a win to stay alive for the playoffs and Andrews was ranked #7 at the time. It was a great game featuring the district's and state's top two running backs. Shaud scored in the first quarter, 7-0. Then on a random running play, we tackle him and hear him yelling. He was holding his knee and was in major pain. They game was stopped and the ambulance was called to the sidelines. He was loaded on a stretcher and placed in the ambulance. I hate to admit it, but we were relieved he was no longer in the game. After 2 quarters of hard nosed football the score was still 7-0 Andrews. In the 4th quarter we finally score a TD to tie it up. We had the momentum... then it happened. We see the ambulance, lights on, driving back into the stadium. It stops before the track, doors open, and Shaud comes running out of the back.
He proceeded to score twice and lead the Mustangs to a 21-7 victory. Some kids just have it, and he did.
TequilaMockingbird
Quote:

"The younger kids idolized him," Coskrey said. "They all wanted to grow up to be like David Shipman."
And it's no wonder.
Shipman lead the Panthers in an undefeated season winning this championship game for the state title.
Even more impressive, he wasn't even supposed to quarterback the team.
"He was actually a running back and the head starting quarterback got hurt," Coskrey said. "They moved David to quarterback where he made all state position in a position that wasn't even really his."

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/David-Shipman-the-quarterback-who-lead-the-Permian-Panthers-to-a-1972-state-title-has-died-513176611.html?fbclid=IwAR3tXaP59aneAOE7OVf2JGMTo1ju3eysIo14pb4dlVtFFhdxctqRKdOCyhI
AG1996
Permian and Lee are both getting back. Both are putting kids in college football programs, including several D1. Lee has at least 2 D1 prospects this year. Last years Permian Lee game was on Adidas Friday Night stripes. So far over 11 million views. It was a great game if you want to watch. (Shameless plug because my son plays for Lee!)

FYI Lee's number 11 has an offer from A&M at WR.

https://twitter.com/fnslive?lang=en
Col. Steve Austin
AG
OilFieldIRI said:

Col. Steve Austin said:

rhart said:

What year did Shaud Williams play at Andrews?

I know he beat my Calallen Wildcats in the State baseball tourney. Had an Aunt and Uncle in Andrews, (worked for Exxon) and an Aunt and Uncle in Frankel City (He was the plant manager for Phillips 66 plant).

95-98 for football. First time I ever heard of him I was reading the Sports section of the Houston Chronicle and saw a little blurb where Shaud Williams ran for 440 yards against Fort Stockton. That was his Soph year.

The year they won that State Championship in baseball, Shaud Williams stole 48 bases in 48 attempts, 3 in the State tournament. Never heard of that kind of success rate on the base paths.

My step-dad worked for Exxon (mom worked for Amoco), he probably knew both of your Aunts and Uncles (seems like he knew pretty much everyone in and around Andrews). What are their names if you don't mind?

I remember the night Williams ran for 440... I was on the field for FS. Shaud was good in everything. I first competed against him as 10 year old baseball players in random tournaments. Personally, I thought his best sport was baseball. When he hit the ball it just came off of the bat a little harder than most. The Andrews team that won state in baseball was loaded and fun to play against. I think they had 2-3 kids drafted and something like 5-6 go on to play college ball in some capacity.

Here's another story...
In 1997 we played at Andrews in late October. It was a very cold night and was a district game. We (Fort Stockton) needed a win to stay alive for the playoffs and Andrews was ranked #7 at the time. It was a great game featuring the district's and state's top two running backs. Shaud scored in the first quarter, 7-0. Then on a random running play, we tackle him and hear him yelling. He was holding his knee and was in major pain. They game was stopped and the ambulance was called to the sidelines. He was loaded on a stretcher and placed in the ambulance. I hate to admit it, but we were relieved he was no longer in the game. After 2 quarters of hard nosed football the score was still 7-0 Andrews. In the 4th quarter we finally score a TD to tie it up. We had the momentum... then it happened. We see the ambulance, lights on, driving back into the stadium. It stops before the track, doors open, and Shaud comes running out of the back.
He proceeded to score twice and lead the Mustangs to a 21-7 victory. Some kids just have it, and he did.
Wow, I had never heard that story before. Thanks for sharing!
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
Col. Steve Austin
AG
TequilaMockingbird said:

Quote:

"The younger kids idolized him," Coskrey said. "They all wanted to grow up to be like David Shipman."
And it's no wonder.
Shipman lead the Panthers in an undefeated season winning this championship game for the state title.
Even more impressive, he wasn't even supposed to quarterback the team.
"He was actually a running back and the head starting quarterback got hurt," Coskrey said. "They moved David to quarterback where he made all state position in a position that wasn't even really his."

https://www.cbs7.com/content/news/David-Shipman-the-quarterback-who-lead-the-Permian-Panthers-to-a-1972-state-title-has-died-513176611.html?fbclid=IwAR3tXaP59aneAOE7OVf2JGMTo1ju3eysIo14pb4dlVtFFhdxctqRKdOCyhI
Yep, that's something a lot of folks never realized about Shipman. He wasn't that quick, but he was big and strong and once he got turned up field and set sail he was something else! He ran the 220 in track and he did pretty well as I recall. The QB that got hurt (broken leg IIRC) got a full ride to Texas. Not very often that one HS team has two QBs signed in the same class. Although IMO, Shipman should not have been an option QB at the college level. He just wasn't quick enough to me and wasn't that great handling the ball.
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
Charlie Moran
AG
Lee class of '73. Hated Permian esp all of the Jim Bob and Joe Bob Bizzels.

JK. Nice read , thanks for trip down memory lane
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Charlie Moran said:

Lee class of '73. Hated Permian esp all of the Jim Bob and Joe Bob Bizzels.

JK. Nice read , thanks for trip down memory lane
They're still in town.

Speaking of hate, one summer (72 maybe) Joe Bob had hurt his knee. Not serious, but required him to be on crutches for a short while. He went to a dance (on crutches) there in Odessa. Some kid that played for OHS came up and punched him right in the face because he was tired of having his coaches constantly throwing Joe Bob's name at him and his teammates as someone that played bigger than his size and they should play like him.
owenfieldreams
I was at that 1970 WF vs Permian game. It was played in a 40 mph wind and it didnt take long for it to become obvious that the team with the wind in the 4th Qtr. was going to win. My middle son started on the 1986 WF Coyote team that lost to L.D. Bell in the quarter finals. They still ran the single-wing in 1986.
Hamburger Dan
I was at the '70 game between Old High and Permian. I was only 11 years old, but it was an unexpected tough loss. I was on the WFHS coaching staff in '86. That team should've won the state Title. I grew up in WF, & coached there for over 30 years. I left in 2016 for a job in Lubbock. I'm still at it, for another year or two.The Single Wing, back then was great.
owenfieldreams
The Coyotes had that big tailback, Eric Chapman, and they would pull those 2 guards, John Pitts and my son and they just overpowered people at the point of attack. The 17-17 tie with San Angelo Central was one of the best most physical high school games I've ever seen. The Coyotes should not have lost to Bell.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.