Story Poster
Photo by Andrew Kilzer, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Same Song: Aggies deaf to Herman's plea to renew Texas rivalry

July 21, 2017

I’ll be glad to explain it if it’s too hard to comprehend. So tell me what part of "no" don’t you understand?  —Lorrie Morgan

Songs often say what we cannot.

In days gone by, people would often call radio stations to dedicate a song to someone important to them. That way, those who might have difficulty expressing themselves could indirectly share a sentiment or deliver a message through song. The song didn’t have to be perfect. It just had to have a general theme or a lyric that was appropriate to the situation.

For example, back in the ‘60s, a forlorn soul who wanted to express regret to his/her significant other might have dedicated the Brenda Lee tune “I’m Sorry.” The lyrics say: I’m sorry, so sorry, that I was such a fool.

These days, the Texas Longhorns might be inclined to dedicate that song — or something similar — to the Aggies.

By now, you’ve no doubt read or heard that during Big 12 Media Days, first-year Texas football coach Tom Herman said he’d like to resume the Texas A&M - Texas football rivalry.

We don’t play a rival at home ever. I don’t know why we can’t play A&M as our marquee non-conference opponent. - Texas head coach Tom Herman
“We don’t play a rival at home ever,” Herman said. “I don’t know why we can’t play A&M as our marquee non-conference opponent.”

This again?

Previously, former Texas coach Charlie Strong and current Athletic Director Mike Perrin also expressed a desire to play A&M. In response, legions of Aggies might as well have dedicated an old Dwight Yoakum tune to express their feelings about resuming the series with the Longhorns:
There’s nothing left that you can do to try and bring me ‘round.
'Cause everything you do just brings me down.
'Cause I ain’t that lonely yet.
Another suggestion from Texas to resume the series smacks of desperation. But excuse Herman, who actually complimented the Aggies and compared their program to some of college football’s historical elites.

“If you’re going to play a big boy such as USC, LSU and Ohio State,” Herman said, “I’d like to see us play the big boy right down the road from us.”

Personally, I’d like Texas A&M and Texas play again. However, as each year passes, fewer and fewer Aggies seem to have much interest in playing Texas. A&M’s upcoming non-conference schedules include road trips to UCLA, Clemson, Colorado, Miami and Notre Dame. Trips like that make a trip to Austin seem mundane.

Add in the reasons the A&M-Texas series ended in the first place, and there’s no wonder so many Aggies are ambivalent about resuming the rivalry.

Of course, Herman wasn’t at Texas in 2011 when A&M, which had grown weary from the Longhorns’ successful efforts to manipulate the Big 12, left that league to join the Southeastern Conference.

Tim Heitman/USA Today Sports Former Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds canceled the annual rivalry game between the Aggies and Longhorns.
Herman apparently doesn’t realize that it wasn't Texas A&M who canceled the long-time series; it was then-Texas Athletic Director DeLoss Dodds. He wanted to punish the Aggies. He even lobbied other Big 12 teams not to schedule Texas A&M.

Of course, Aggies didn’t care. They could’ve sent him a message via the Twisted Sister song “We’re Not Gonna Take It.”
Oh, you’re so condescending.
Your gall is never-ending.
We don’t want nothin’ – not a thing – from you.
Apparently, Dodds thought by canceling the series the Aggies might suffer financially. Instead, last year A&M received more than $40 million from the SEC, largely because of the highly-successful SEC Network. In fact, earlier this month USA Today reported that Texas A&M was the most profitable athletic program in the NCAA in 2015-2016 with more than $194 million in total revenue.

Cue the Steve Miller Band’s “Take the Money and Run.”

Herman doesn’t care about that. Nor should he. He has bigger things to worry about. He inherited a team that went 5-7 and lost to Kansas. Yes, Kansas.

He has to rejuvenate a stagnant program. He has to make achievers out of underachievers. He has to make players want to play for him.

To that end, Herman is well known for public displays of affection with his players. Therefore, he might consider dedicating an old Mary Chapin Carpenter song to the struggling Longhorns.
It’s been a while since I felt this feeling that everything that you do gives me.
It’s been so long since somebody whispered, "Shut up and kiss me."
Hey, Herman can whisper whatever he wants to his Longhorns. But when he or any Texas official speak out about scheduling Texas A&M, they should prepare themselves for a long-distance dedication from Aggieland of that old Lorrie Morgan song.
Discussion from...

Same Song: Aggies deaf to Herman's plea to renew Texas rivalry

49,677 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by StickTogetherAgs
NedMac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
By the way my understanding of "gig 'em" was that it came from an Aggie administrator discussing the TCU Horned Frogs so I don't see why you'd want to get rid of that tradition in order to make a point about UT.
TheBro
AnalogyAg said:

they've fallen far enough they can be our middle tier opponent. of course that means they play at Kyle. And we don'use Big 12 refs. Do that for a 5 yr stint and see how we feel after.

I'm sure they will be the middle tier. Is that UCLA this year, a Power 5 team with a worse record than Texas?
buckeylee
AG
Gig 'Em is the universal sign of approval for Aggies. Coined by P.L. "Pinkie" Downs, Class of1906, when at a Yell Practice before the 1930 TCU football game Downs asked, "What are we going to do with those Horned Frogs?" and answered, "Gig 'Em Aggies!" (from frog hunting). For emphasis he made a fist with his thumb extended up. It was the first hand sign of the Southwest Conference for 25 years until t.u. copied the idea from the Aggies and created their Hook 'em Horns. Now Aggies give each other this sign to encourage and motivate each other.
CMSimonton
AG
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd personally LOVE to see the rivalry continue. I grew up in a large family of die-hard Longhorns.......but graduated from A&M in '99. Then I married into a family full of Aggies. My little sister, (a T-sip) also married into an all Aggie Family. All together, the game made Thanksgivings together a lot more fun.

All this other stuff is sour grapes....MAKE THANKSGIVING GREAT AGAIN!!!!!

PCC_80
AG
TheBro said:

PaulC_80 said:

So the sips managed to run out of their conference most of the reasonably competitive teams. In so doing they trapped themselves in a lousy conference with lousy competition a lousy home schedule and a lousy TV deal. Choice recruits are choosing to go anywhere else than to the sips or their conference. The sip faithful are dropping their season tickets because of so many awful home games. The BDF is already been left out of the playoffs twice and is not even part of the preseason discussion this year.

AND SOME OF YOU WANT TO THROW THE sips A LIFELINE BY RESUMING PLAYING THEM ON A REGULAR BASIS ? ? ?

Let them suffer in their own self made destruction. We will meet them in a bowl game once in a while, that is more than enough for me. In the mean time lets just sit back and enjoy their misery for the next few years. They will be moving to either the PAC or the B!G at the first opportunity and they will then start to come back.

Do they need a lifeline?
Yeah, I think that they do.

The sips are desperate for meaningful games in their home stadium. KU, K State, Bayrol, WV, Iowa St fans do not travel well and their games are generally uninteresting. Tech is terrible these days so their biannual visits are not worth coming to see. So attendance is generally low for those games. The sips always play OU in Dallas which is generally the best game in the BDF season. This has resulted in the sips home schedules being generally trash. Season ticket sales are down along with the mandatory contributions that are generally required for the better seats. Long time fans are saving their money and only coming to the one or two games that might be interesting. A biannual visit by the Ags would be a tremendous shot in the sips arm and greatly help their season ticket renewal problems. It would also likely help sip recruiting.

I say screw them. Let them go broke. Wither and Die.
TheBro
PaulC_80 said:

TheBro said:

PaulC_80 said:

So the sips managed to run out of their conference most of the reasonably competitive teams. In so doing they trapped themselves in a lousy conference with lousy competition a lousy home schedule and a lousy TV deal. Choice recruits are choosing to go anywhere else than to the sips or their conference. The sip faithful are dropping their season tickets because of so many awful home games. The BDF is already been left out of the playoffs twice and is not even part of the preseason discussion this year.

AND SOME OF YOU WANT TO THROW THE sips A LIFELINE BY RESUMING PLAYING THEM ON A REGULAR BASIS ? ? ?

Let them suffer in their own self made destruction. We will meet them in a bowl game once in a while, that is more than enough for me. In the mean time lets just sit back and enjoy their misery for the next few years. They will be moving to either the PAC or the B!G at the first opportunity and they will then start to come back.

Do they need a lifeline?

The sips are desperate for meaningful games in their home stadium. KU, K State, Bayrol, WV, Iowa St fans do not travel well and their games are generally uninteresting. Tech is terrible these days so their biannual visits are not worth coming to see. So attendance is generally low for those games. The sips always play OU in Dallas which is generally the best game in the BDF season. This has resulted in the sips home schedules being generally trash. Season ticket sales are down along with the mandatory contributions that are generally required for the better seats. Long time fans are saving their money and only coming to the one or two games that might be interesting. A biannual visit by the Ags would be a tremendous shot in the sips arm and greatly help their season ticket renewal problems. It would also likely help sip recruiting.

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the last coach and the losing seasons. Winning puts butts in the seats whether it's TCU, TT, WV, Baylor and last year ND. Agree? The lifeline Texas needed appears to be Herman. They will be in the title picture in the next 2 or 3 years if the 2018 class is any indication of how Herman can recruit. Will Texas still need a lifeline then?
agcoachtx04
AG
As a coach and observer of both programs, as well as being an admirer of Herman, we are blind to ignore this rivalry. TU still gets whatever recruit they want. We have been lucky lately that TUs internal wheels fell off for awhile, but the SEC mystique will only carry us so far if we continue to be mediocre in it. Herman is a damned good coach and recruiter and I would trade Sumlin in a heartbeat for him.

Soon enough they will be back to national prominence, and without the game to prove our worth, unless we are winning the SEC and going to the Playoff, we will again be seen as nothing more than their little brother and 2nd best.

Plus, I never understood the utter hatred for the rivalry, but then again I am a product of the late 80s and 90s when we beat the hell out of them.
PCC_80
AG
TheBro said:

PaulC_80 said:

TheBro said:

PaulC_80 said:

Do they need a lifeline?

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the last coach and the losing seasons. Winning puts butts in the seats whether it's TCU, TT, WV, Baylor and last year ND. Agree? The lifeline Texas needed appears to be Herman. They will be in the title picture in the next 2 or 3 years if the 2018 class is any indication of how Herman can recruit. Will Texas still need a lifeline then?
Yep, winning would help a little. Now if Herman can win is a completely different question. If he is your life line I sort of doubt it because he does not bring new competition to the BDF. It will be really hard for Herman to get the sips in to the title picture when week in and week out the sips play pretty bad BDF competition. The sip schedule is important in order to get in the playoffs, and the sips home schedule is extremely important in order to sell season tickets and to demand contributions for the good seats.

The problem is who really wants to spend $$$$ to watch a reasonably good sip team thrash KU ? (If they can that is) Or anyone of about half the BDF teams. The sips are stuck in the BDF and half the BDF is either trash or does not bring much interest. Face it, the sips only meaningful game every year is OU and that is in Dallas. ND was probably the only interesting game in Austin last year and that was the first weekend in Sept.

I highlighted what I consider the critical sentences in my previous post. I suggest you read and consider.
TheBro
PaulC_80 said:

TheBro said:

PaulC_80 said:

TheBro said:

PaulC_80 said:

Do they need a lifeline?

Yep, winning would help a little. Now if Herman can win is a completely different question. If he is your life line I sort of doubt it because he does not bring new competition to the BDF. It will be really hard for Herman to get the sips in to the title picture when week in and week out the sips play pretty bad BDF competition. The sip schedule is important in order to get in the playoffs, and the sips home schedule is extremely important in order to sell season tickets and to demand contributions for the good seats.

The problem is who really wants to spend $$$$ to watch a reasonably good sip team thrash KU ? (If they can that is) Or anyone of about half the BDF teams. The sips are stuck in the BDF and half the BDF is either trash or does not bring much interest. Face it, the sips only meaningful game every year is OU and that is in Dallas. ND was probably the only interesting game in Austin last year and that was the first weekend in Sept.

I highlighted what I consider the critical sentences in my previous post. I suggest you read and consider.
OU has proven a 1 loss B12 gets into the playoffs. Do you believe an undefeated Texas team will ever get left out of the playoffs? I'm going to say no. Thus, how would the B12 comp hurt them? In fact, you can say it might help them. If Texas is playing to go to the playoffs in 3 years or less, I don't see them really needing A&M, especially if Herman is keeping their recruiting classes in the top 10.
TheBro
PaulC_80 said:

TheBro said:

PaulC_80 said:

TheBro said:

PaulC_80 said:

Do they need a lifeline?

Who wants to see a reasonably good LSU team play Vandy? Who will want to see an undefeated top 5 Texas team play OU, OSU, TCU, TTech, people would.
Chester
AG
We don't need tu. They need us. I say that we never schedule them again!
Houstonag
AG
Sips are not to be trusted ever. I learned that 50 Years ago when I decided to change my mind and not go to the sips. They were arrogant and dishonest. I could not stand them. I had no legacy for I was the first in my entire extended family to even to go the college. Later my brother went. All my kids, son in law, etc.
coupland boy
AG
TheBro said:

PaulC_80 said:

TheBro said:

PaulC_80 said:

TheBro said:

PaulC_80 said:

Do they need a lifeline?

OU has proven a 1 loss B12 gets into the playoffs. Do you believe an undefeated Texas team will ever get left out of the playoffs? I'm going to say no. Thus, how would the B12 comp hurt them? In fact, you can say it might help them. If Texas is playing to go to the playoffs in 3 years or less, I don't see them really needing A&M, especially if Herman is keeping their recruiting classes in the top 10.

At the time i defended TAMU's schedule in the SWC's dying years (what the heck else could we do?). In hindsight playing the Rices, TCUs, the Houstons....did not prepare our teams very well. The SWC champs of the last 10 years of the league did terribly. Arkansas and TAMU played some damn good opponents in bowl games and even put up some good fights but still lost. When the longhorns "shocked the nation" in 1990 or thereabouts they got ***** slapped by Miami. Tech got destroyed by USC in 1994?

Maybe they go undefeated. But it's no fun getting that reality check.
fightinag
yeshellyes said:

F 'em . . . forever.
Huck Ferman

and the wife too !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
Chester
AG
Thanksgiving is great! Let the sips play TCU on Turkey Day. WE DO NOT NEED THEM!!!
Chester
AG
Better yet, they should schedule UC Berkeley. Two like minded schools playing each other is a natural rivalry. It will give them a head start. When the Big 12 finally dies the sips will be PAC-12, which is a perfect fit for them.
TheBro
coupland boy said:

TheBro said:

PaulC_80 said:

TheBro said:

PaulC_80 said:

TheBro said:

PaulC_80 said:

Do they need a lifeline?

At the time i defended TAMU's schedule in the SWC's dying years (what the heck else could we do?). In hindsight playing the Rices, TCUs, the Houstons....did not prepare our teams very well. The SWC champs of the last 10 years of the league did terribly. Arkansas and TAMU played some damn good opponents in bowl games and even put up some good fights but still lost. When the longhorns "shocked the nation" in 1990 or thereabouts they got ***** slapped by Miami. Tech got destroyed by USC in 1994?

Maybe they go undefeated. But it's no fun getting that reality check.
I'll take the playoff exposure and the reality check. Much better than being at home watching. A team with Top 10 talent and good coaching isn't going to get a reality check.
TheBro
chester said:

Thanksgiving is great! Let the sips play TCU on Turkey Day. WE DO NOT NEED THEM!!!
My point is they don't need A&M. To want to play is not to need to play.
GrayMatter
AG
In the foreseeable future, the only way we're going to play them is in a bowl game or the playoffs. Someone not a Longhorn or an Aggie will only see $$$ when putting these two teams to play each other. And sometimes $$$ is the name of the game not everyone cares as much as we do about NOT playing them. Case in point, the NCAAT in 2016, we were suppose to play them in the 2nd round in Oklahoma, but that never materialized because they were upset.

Still, for geographic reasons and/or because of our history, we will play them again at some point.
Chester
AG
TheBro said:

chester said:

My point is they don't need A&M. To want to play is not to need to play.
Of course they do! That's why Herman is begging for a game. Remember they are in the Big 12 and we are in the SEC.
W
AG
t.u. played Cal Berkeley twice recently...and lost both games. The horns won't be scheduling them again anytime soon
W
AG
and for all the Herman hype in recruiting...he has the same problem A&M has had. The state is not providing a whole lot of quality OL, DL, or LB. Plenty of great skill players, but few in-the-trenches players.

he may still do okay inside the BDF, but when his teams step outside of conference...they are going to have major problems
Aggie Joe 93
AG
The 100 year decision was initiated by tu administrators and leadership treating A&M as a lesser. BowTie's impetus and latitude for looking into moving to the SEC was reliant upon tu first exploring its own SWC and Big12 exit and attempting to dictate to A&M what our option was. They probably still don't see why it was wrong to try to make all the arrangements and "look out for A&M".

The reason the game stopped was 100% on the pride and pettiness of Dodds and tu. A&M publicly said "anywhere anytime". Somehow tu was preemptively scheduled for all foreseeable Thanksgiving weekends to come. Media helped them create the illusion that the rivalry stopped due to both schools. I'm confident these half assed press conference statements about renewing the rivalry is to help support a "tu has been asking to renew the series for x years" message to help hide that it was tu's fault alone the series even needs renewing. To me, this indicates nothing has changed at Belmont.

So out of self respect, not an abundance of pride, A&M needs to stay away from that cesspool until they exhibit an actual ability to work with others.
MaxPower
I don't understand why a home and home noncon game requires us to trust or even respect them. No one is says we should get in bed with them again. If they want to cancel that series at some point then who cares. Scheduling that game is about the fact that tu and A&M have the biggest alumni bases with the biggest football programs in the biggest football state. That's the bottom line. Everyone has some ****** relative that went to tu and nothing is better than winning that game and rubbing their nose in it.
SACR
AG

I think our fans who want to play them now have battered wives syndrome. They've convinced themselves they aren't that bad, they didn't mean it, this time it will be different, etc. It's pathetic, but they don't see it.

Bottom line, texas acted to hurt our program in several different ways, and they gambled they could do without ever playing us again. They failed to hurt our program, and they found out we are just fine without them.

They're struggling to sleep in the bed they made, yet we have Aggies who want to let them off the hook. **** that. Let them rot.

You don't reward bad behavior....EVER!!
AnalogyAg
^hence the "Penalty" i recommended above- schedule them like another weaker opponent- at Kyle Field, with a short term commitment- 3 or 5 yrs with no commitment beyond that.

Whether Bro and the ither sips want to admit it, they ARE playing catchup to us with respect to enthusiasm/interest/perception.

offer to play them, with a premium attached, and they can take it or leave it.

in other words, act like a disgusting 'sip on this instance.
coupland boy
AG
SACR said:

I think our fans who want to play them now have battered wives syndrome. They've convinced themselves they aren't that bad, they didn't mean it, this time it will be different, etc. It's pathetic, but they don't see it.

Bottom line, texas acted to hurt our program in several different ways, and they gambled they could do without ever playing us again. They failed to hurt our program, and they found out we are just fine without them.

They're struggling to sleep in the bed they made, yet we have Aggies who want to let them off the hook. **** that. Let them rot.

You don't reward bad behavior....EVER!!

Exactly. But, hey, I'm going to ignore your rationale and just say that you're skeered because i want to talk **** to my relatives that may or may not gone to tu.
coupland boy
AG
Quote:

I'll take the playoff exposure and the reality check. Much better than being at home watching. A team with Top 10 talent and good coaching isn't going to get a reality check.

I don't disagree with this. Of course the playoffs are better than staying at home. But there's something to be said about playing in a league that, if you're good enough to win it, has battle tested you and gotten you ready for the playoffs.

I think a lot of Ags also derail the conversation by responding to ridiculous hyperbole with hyperbole of their own. They're not going to beg to play us. They are too proud to do that. Obviously they've changed their tune from not letting the door hit us on the way out to now wanting to play. To that i ask you all - why ia that? That's significant and i say let them keep asking and bringing it up. Others act as if the longhorns will just wither away and die. That's not going to happen. In fact, i will never ever underestimate the momentum they can get with just a little bit of success. Last year they beat an overrated ND and go from unranked to #13 or something! Hey, "they're back" and "core values" and all that.

Longhorns, as well as some Ags, act as if it's proving some kind of point when we act like rivals. Of course we are! So much so that i want to see us let them live with the schedule they created.

I know that with some of you i am just talking to a freakin' brick wall. But i just don't want in any way to help them with their schedule. It's a simple as that.
aeon-ag
The reason is easily understood, we don't want to get our butts kicked most of the time while sumlin walks around on the sideline with that dumb look on his face, confused!
coupland boy
AG
aeon-ag said:

The reason is easily understood, we don't want to get our butts kicked most of the time while sumlin walks around on the sideline with that dumb look on his face, confused!

There's that brick wall.
etexorange
This article seems kind of dumb now that Sharp has changed his tune.
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
etexorange said:

This article seems kind of dumb now that Sharp has changed his tune.

He hasn't...it's easy to to say stuff to seem like you want a return and do absolutely nothing to make it happen!

I suggest you tea sips do your best to strengthen your state rivalries with not only bu and ttu but also the upgrade you replaced us with...tcu. You really should not be so disrespectful of schools you've played so long against! Although it was hilarious to hear Herman call the Aggies "the big boy down the road" ...almost a compliment coming from you people!" I'm sure he was reprimanded for such depravity!

Screw you tea sips! You're not to be trusted...ever! You're a pus-infected boil on the ass of college athletics...again, you people can't be trusted...and we're not the only ones that feel that way...sadly 4 state schools have no choice but to kow tow to your every whim...we no longer have to! **** you!
Reno Hightower
The sips are not to be trusted. They are a bunch of slimy, cheating snakes!

We gain nothing from playing them!
StickTogetherAgs
coupland boy
AG
StickTogetherAgs said:

E. Why is TexAgs trolling Ag fans?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.