Story Poster
Photo by Andrew Kilzer, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Same Song: Aggies deaf to Herman's plea to renew Texas rivalry

July 21, 2017

I’ll be glad to explain it if it’s too hard to comprehend. So tell me what part of "no" don’t you understand?  —Lorrie Morgan

Songs often say what we cannot.

In days gone by, people would often call radio stations to dedicate a song to someone important to them. That way, those who might have difficulty expressing themselves could indirectly share a sentiment or deliver a message through song. The song didn’t have to be perfect. It just had to have a general theme or a lyric that was appropriate to the situation.

For example, back in the ‘60s, a forlorn soul who wanted to express regret to his/her significant other might have dedicated the Brenda Lee tune “I’m Sorry.” The lyrics say: I’m sorry, so sorry, that I was such a fool.

These days, the Texas Longhorns might be inclined to dedicate that song — or something similar — to the Aggies.

By now, you’ve no doubt read or heard that during Big 12 Media Days, first-year Texas football coach Tom Herman said he’d like to resume the Texas A&M - Texas football rivalry.

We don’t play a rival at home ever. I don’t know why we can’t play A&M as our marquee non-conference opponent. - Texas head coach Tom Herman
“We don’t play a rival at home ever,” Herman said. “I don’t know why we can’t play A&M as our marquee non-conference opponent.”

This again?

Previously, former Texas coach Charlie Strong and current Athletic Director Mike Perrin also expressed a desire to play A&M. In response, legions of Aggies might as well have dedicated an old Dwight Yoakum tune to express their feelings about resuming the series with the Longhorns:
There’s nothing left that you can do to try and bring me ‘round.
'Cause everything you do just brings me down.
'Cause I ain’t that lonely yet.
Another suggestion from Texas to resume the series smacks of desperation. But excuse Herman, who actually complimented the Aggies and compared their program to some of college football’s historical elites.

“If you’re going to play a big boy such as USC, LSU and Ohio State,” Herman said, “I’d like to see us play the big boy right down the road from us.”

Personally, I’d like Texas A&M and Texas play again. However, as each year passes, fewer and fewer Aggies seem to have much interest in playing Texas. A&M’s upcoming non-conference schedules include road trips to UCLA, Clemson, Colorado, Miami and Notre Dame. Trips like that make a trip to Austin seem mundane.

Add in the reasons the A&M-Texas series ended in the first place, and there’s no wonder so many Aggies are ambivalent about resuming the rivalry.

Of course, Herman wasn’t at Texas in 2011 when A&M, which had grown weary from the Longhorns’ successful efforts to manipulate the Big 12, left that league to join the Southeastern Conference.

Tim Heitman/USA Today Sports Former Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds canceled the annual rivalry game between the Aggies and Longhorns.
Herman apparently doesn’t realize that it wasn't Texas A&M who canceled the long-time series; it was then-Texas Athletic Director DeLoss Dodds. He wanted to punish the Aggies. He even lobbied other Big 12 teams not to schedule Texas A&M.

Of course, Aggies didn’t care. They could’ve sent him a message via the Twisted Sister song “We’re Not Gonna Take It.”
Oh, you’re so condescending.
Your gall is never-ending.
We don’t want nothin’ – not a thing – from you.
Apparently, Dodds thought by canceling the series the Aggies might suffer financially. Instead, last year A&M received more than $40 million from the SEC, largely because of the highly-successful SEC Network. In fact, earlier this month USA Today reported that Texas A&M was the most profitable athletic program in the NCAA in 2015-2016 with more than $194 million in total revenue.

Cue the Steve Miller Band’s “Take the Money and Run.”

Herman doesn’t care about that. Nor should he. He has bigger things to worry about. He inherited a team that went 5-7 and lost to Kansas. Yes, Kansas.

He has to rejuvenate a stagnant program. He has to make achievers out of underachievers. He has to make players want to play for him.

To that end, Herman is well known for public displays of affection with his players. Therefore, he might consider dedicating an old Mary Chapin Carpenter song to the struggling Longhorns.
It’s been a while since I felt this feeling that everything that you do gives me.
It’s been so long since somebody whispered, "Shut up and kiss me."
Hey, Herman can whisper whatever he wants to his Longhorns. But when he or any Texas official speak out about scheduling Texas A&M, they should prepare themselves for a long-distance dedication from Aggieland of that old Lorrie Morgan song.
Discussion from...

Same Song: Aggies deaf to Herman's plea to renew Texas rivalry

49,651 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by StickTogetherAgs
Post removed:
by user
THEamc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bye Felicia.
AGGies0311
Then you're too young to remember what it was like before the SEC. Never saw Big12 bumper stickers or hats with just that logo on it being sold in the stores.. now the SEC brand is everywhere.

We talk every year about how much money we bring in, thanks to the SEC..... maybe you don't understand capitalism.
P.C. Principal
I used to want to resume the series and have it be something like SC-Clemson/Florida-FSU, etc.

Now I really don't care that much. It's been pretty satisfying seeing tu and the rest of the Big 12 fade away into mediocrity. That conference is on life support and no one really cares about them anymore. There are a small number of big games per year, TV coverage sucks, and they're often overshadowed by bigger matchups in other conferences.

I do miss the rivalry, but at this point it really does seem like playing them again is just doing them a favor. Not much in it for us except nostalgia.
AFHorn
coastsrs said:

hunter2012 said:

Never forget:

don't trust the d*mn sips, they will backstab as is their nature everytime. Let them burn in irrelevancey for the next 95 years.

Geezus I was in the stands for this game as a senior. Cold as tits. Got pretty drunk that night. Any one that defends that as a penalty is a castrated poosy

This was back when they were calling anything that was helmet to helmet. He hit him helmet to helmet. Not sure what you expect.
Azeew
^^^ Castrated poozie alert!
Fightin Ag491
Funny when people always get their panties in a twist when someone from one of the schools mentions the rivalry in an official capacity. Happened when Woodward mentioned it last year.

Listen, it's to get attention. I highly doubt that Herman is involved in whether the schools are going to play eachother again.

And if y'all want to talk about desperation and the "they need us" convo, that's ridiculous. Last time I checked, both teams topped the revenue polls the past two years. Both songs make specific mention about the other in each fight song every single game played.

Such sour grapes from y'all as posters. I for one want to see the game again because it's what I grew up on everything thanksgiving as a child and through college.

But lets continue to throw stones from glass houses while we accuse someone else of throwing stones from glass houses...
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
Fightin Ag491 said:

Funny when people always get their panties in a twist when someone from one of the schools mentions the rivalry in an official capacity. Happened when Woodward mentioned it last year.

Listen, it's to get attention. I highly doubt that Herman is involved in whether the schools are going to play eachother again.

And if y'all want to talk about desperation and the "they need us" convo, that's ridiculous. Last time I checked, both teams topped the revenue polls the past two years. Both songs make specific mention about the other in each fight song every single game played.

Such sour grapes from y'all as posters. I for one want to see the game again because it's what I grew up on everything thanksgiving as a child and through college.

But lets continue to throw stones from glass houses while we accuse someone else of throwing stones from glass houses...

I suggest not withholding breath! It may indeed come back some day...but other than a bowl or cfb playoff game (haha I made a funny) you may be quite a bit older next time it happens on a regular basis

...I also love how people make this match seem like some sort of heritage thing...it's just a football game between two schools both of whom still play games during thanksgiving weekend against pretty good competition! There's your football fix! Lots of games that weekend!
Krazykat
AG
Let it die. We're in the premier conference now. Need to figure out how to win our conference games. Screw tu.
Fightin Ag491
West Point Aggie said:

Fightin Ag491 said:

I suggest not withholding breath! It may indeed come back some day...but other than a bowl or cfb playoff game (haha I made a funny) you may be quite a bit older next time it happens on a regular basis

...I also love how people make this match seem like some sort of heritage thing...it's just a football game between two schools both of whom still play games during thanksgiving weekend against pretty good competition! There's your football fix! Lots of games that weekend!
You're probably right. I mean, if Alabama and Auburn, or the Yankees and the Red Sox, or Real Madrid or FC Barcelona stopped playing... well that's not a heritage thing or anything because they still play football, baseball and soccer respectively against other good competition, right?

I agree with your first part that there's probably too much in the way for this game to ever resume in the next few years, but the second part is a mind-numbingly bad take
coupland boy
AG
I have a question for those who cite "greed on both sides" being responsible for the series ending. What did we do to justify some 'Ags' willingness accept fault for what i see as Deloss' doing?
AGinHI
AG
Who really, really, misses playing Texas?

Outside of the Ags I watched the SEC, always wishing we would schedule them more. It was always a treat when we matched up in a bowl game (not talking about outcome). I missed playing LSU after the '95 season.

Now that we have Alabama, Auburn, Arkansas, LSU, and to a lesser degree the Mississippi schools, every year with Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia definitely on the schedule--Texas is not even an afterthought.

I'm not talking about the history and tradition here, just the matchups with premier teams. In the Big 12 for me the teams I looked forward to playing were Texas, OU, Nebraska and Colorado. It was really disappointing from a fan perspective when the latter two left, even with Colorado's slide. You're not going to catch me watching Oklahoma State, Kansas State, or Baylor football no matter how good they get.

But, I'm sure as hell watching SEC football.

I loved the rivalry with Texas, regardless of what their fans might say on the matter. I was there for the Bonfire game.

I just love SEC football that much more and it's a dream come true to finally be a member.

Texas who?
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
St Hedwig Aggie
AG
....but but but some people think it's heritage and s***...they grew up watching it (like we all did)...bring it back and settle it on the field and s***...

**rolling eyes***

F*** the motherf***ing tea sips...and the unicorn they rode in on! ...and tell Herman to shut the f*** up...
DayAg!
S
Quote:

It's a great rivarvly and for selfish reasons on both sides it ended. One day it will resume (fact) and people will question why it took so long to resume the series.
I been watchin Aggie football for 47 years, since my ag teacher Mr. V.C. Marshall class of '46 God rest his soul, showed me all things ****. All this nostalgic bs is just that.... BS. I've seen A&M get screwed more ways to hell by that bunch across the river than I care to remember. That, and the biased state media that they had in their pocket and still do. It's enough to make one puke. You think anything would be on a level playing field if we played them.. Answer me that. Some of you are either senile, too young to understand or remember or just plain ignorant if you think A&M has ever been on a level playing field with them. The stupidity involved in suggesting ever playing them again is astounding. Why give the media a platform to start up berating A&M with renewed vigor. As is witnessed from the scattered columns that come out from time to time by that same media.

There can be given multiple reasons for not playing them again. And every one can and is justified through history. But not one reason can be given or justified by that same history to play them again. Not one. A&M is better off than it has ever been. financially and and in the eyes of the media and conference they are affiliated with. . History, nor does nostalgia equate to making a good business decision, when that same history has yellow flags scattered all across the field. (pun intended)

Just because you "MISS" playing them on Thursday night at Thanksgiving, does not dictate making a stupid business decision. "Never take your foot off your opponents neck when victory is near, lest he turn and rend you in pieces."
coupland boy
AG
Agreed. To tell you the truth I'm kind of disappointed in what's on tap for the SEC network today. You'd think we show any number of football games since 2012 but instead we show one from our SWC and another from our Big 12 days. Good games indeed but on the one hand we have Olin's article and then that. Some of us can't seem to help sending mixed signals.

The Ags/Ag fans with short-sighted nostalgia, and quite frankly those that felt the need to show 2 games against the sips, is the reason i have no confidence in our leadership to let karma ride for just a while.
Artimus Gordon
AG
Everyone who thinks we need to play them again needs to read dayag's post. Let those SOB's alone. They are toxic.
lakeside aggie
AG
Never play them....never!
AGGies0311
The main argument for us not playing them is it doesn't benefit us... yet people talk about how we are in a better place financially . We sold our souls to the football devil and another 7-5 season is upon us
JodyMcD96
AG
The Dwight Yoakum song that should have been used is "Things Change"

"Let's don't go placing no blame, yeah

'Cause you know things can change"

Things have changed. If the 'sips want to play us, meet us in the post season. That would generate the money for those that want the game again seemed to be focused on. It would also mean that we are meeting in a positive game rather than a required game.

Regular scheduled game = Heck No!

While we're at it we need to can the second verse of the War Hymn. It's stupid to keep them in our song living rent free in our heads. Every dang mascot from the teams that we play can have something sawed off. Have the Yell Leaders figure it out and share it at Yell then social media. This isn't difficult.

All hail to dear old Texas A&M
Rally around Maroon and White
Good luck to dear old Texas Aggies
They are the boys who show the real old fight
That good old Aggie spirit thrills us
And makes us yell and yell and yell
So let's fight for dear old Texas A&M
We're going to beat you all to
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
Chig-gar-roo-gar-rem
Rough Tough! Real Stuff! Texas A&M!

I'd like to think that the current students, and the former, are bright enough to learn the first verse, can the second and figure out what to saw off of our opponent of the day.

When it comes to tu, we no longer mind, so they no longer matter. Let's start living that way.
tusi7095
AG
MAT said:

"We left for the SEC for money"

We left to remove ourselves from a severely disfunctional family and make a better life for ourselves. The fact that we made big money on our own is just icing on the cake.
This is very true.
bqce
AG
So... we should get rid of "Gig 'em?" I think the same concept applies, whether we're talking about songs or hand signs and school mottos.

Also, we left them because they screwed us regularly with impunity. The money was a side benefit. (not directed at JodyMcD96)
Philip J Fry
AG
Hear that Baylor, OSU, Texas Tech, TCU? Texas doesn't think any of you are worthy of being rivals.
PCC_80
AG
So the sips managed to run out of their conference most of the reasonably competitive teams. In so doing they trapped themselves in a lousy conference with lousy competition a lousy home schedule and a lousy TV deal. Choice recruits are choosing to go anywhere else than to the sips or their conference. The sip faithful are dropping their season tickets because of so many awful home games. The BDF is already been left out of the playoffs twice and is not even part of the preseason discussion this year.

AND SOME OF YOU WANT TO THROW THE sips A LIFELINE BY RESUMING PLAYING THEM ON A REGULAR BASIS ? ? ?

Let them suffer in their own self made destruction. We will meet them in a bowl game once in a while, that is more than enough for me. In the mean time lets just sit back and enjoy their misery for the next few years. They will be moving to either the PAC or the B!G at the first opportunity and they will then start to come back.
JodyMcD96
AG
bqce said:

So... we should get rid of "Gig 'em?" I think the same concept applies, whether we're talking about songs or hand signs and school mottos.

Also, we left them because they screwed us regularly with impunity. The money was a side benefit. (not directed at JodyMcD96)

Why would we get rid of "Gig 'em"? That Aggie through and through. Singing about another school that features meat for a mascot 3 or 4 times a game, that we don't even play anymore, is silly.

We like to crow about how we aren't the little bros to the sips but we continue feature them as an integral part of our spirit? Seems like we are still obsessed.

No Bonfire on campus, no Thanksgiving day game = quit singing about them like they matter. It's not a tradition anymore, they are just another school that we may meet in the post season.
hunter2012
AG
2/7Marine0311 said:

The main argument for us not playing them is it doesn't benefit us... yet people talk about how we are in a better place financially . We sold our souls to the football devil and another 7-5 season is upon us

your analogy is wrong seeing how the sips are the devil. We spit in the devil's face and left, so I wouldnt call that dealing with him. Also the main argument ought to be that the sips are treacherous worms who would backstab us the first occasion where we would give them power over us(i.e. a scheduled game).
chance_bitters
AG
I want a real rivalry and the only one we've ever had is with t.u., right now is the perfect time to renew it. We would get the Thanksgiving game back and have a regular non-conference game like the rest of the SEC(Florida vs Florida State, Georgia vs Tech, SC vs NC/Duke, etc). Plus "to the winner go the spoils," this would be a big recruiting tool that could pull over recruits on the edge between the two schools.
TheBro
fireinthehole said:

Herman now in the rest room checking players' urine color. Punishing players for not having their water bottle with them at all times. Perfect fit. We just need to steer clear of the sips' wierdness and let them drown in their own piss
Discipline is such a bad thing.
TheBro
PaulC_80 said:

So the sips managed to run out of their conference most of the reasonably competitive teams. In so doing they trapped themselves in a lousy conference with lousy competition a lousy home schedule and a lousy TV deal. Choice recruits are choosing to go anywhere else than to the sips or their conference. The sip faithful are dropping their season tickets because of so many awful home games. The BDF is already been left out of the playoffs twice and is not even part of the preseason discussion this year.

AND SOME OF YOU WANT TO THROW THE sips A LIFELINE BY RESUMING PLAYING THEM ON A REGULAR BASIS ? ? ?

Let them suffer in their own self made destruction. We will meet them in a bowl game once in a while, that is more than enough for me. In the mean time lets just sit back and enjoy their misery for the next few years. They will be moving to either the PAC or the B!G at the first opportunity and they will then start to come back.

Do they need a lifeline?
edwardsk2003
AG
hunter2012 said:

Never forget:

don't trust the d*mn sips, they will backstab as is their nature everytime. Let them burn in irrelevancey for the next 95 years.

this... forever this
Inspector Javert
Not playing is bull *****

It's millionaires in control depriving their alumni of a great tradition because they don't want a blow to their egos and being seen as caving to their counterpart at the other school. It's ridiculous and anyone who goes along with is a koolaid drinking sheep
AnalogyAg
they've fallen far enough they can be our middle tier opponent. of course that means they play at Kyle. And we don'use Big 12 refs. Do that for a 5 yr stint and see how we feel after.

Inspector Javert
^ my point exactly
NedMac
As an outside observer I completely understand why A&M left the Big 12 as did Colorado, Nebraska and Missouri. That said, I'd like to see the rivalry renewed on the field since it's pretty obvious it's still there off the field. This game was on a par with Army-Navy, Alabama-Auburn and (dare I say it from my seat in the midwest) Ohio State-Michigan. Feel free to schedule them and roll the score up.
geoag58
AG
If we ever agree to play them again it should be with the stipulation that we only use SEC officials, period!
AGGies0311
Why not a combination of SEC and Big 12 refs.... or even PAC-12/Big 10/ ACC

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.