Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

DIRECTV Now Moves Longhorn Network From National Channel to Regional

8,083 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggies1960
MSU/SECALUM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://tvanswerman.com/2017/05/18/directv-now-moves-longhorn-network-from-national-channel-to-regional/
bac
AG
vander54
S
I am shocked. Shocked I tell ya. Why would anyone want to reduce subscribers on such an amazing channel?
ccatag
AG
Clicking the link takes you to a simple statement and a picture of (not the siphorns) a generic group of football uniform clad dudes. Disrespected is disrespectful
etexorange
This is for DirecTV Now, their new streaming service which is geared toward the cost-conscious and cord-cutters. That's how it's described in googled articles, at least.

It is considered an alternative to satellite service for the LOL poors.

Now, post a link showing DirecTV's traditional satellite service has regionalized the Longhorn Network. I dare you.
etexorange
Quote:

Clicking the link takes you to a simple statement and a picture of (not the siphorns) a generic group of football uniform clad dudes. Disrespected is disrespectful
If you read the photo cutline further, it states that's it's a royalty-free image. This is a low-rent website geared toward LOL poors and Mississippi Aggies.
bac
AG
Making lemonade out of those lemons, eh?
MSU/SECALUM
etexorange said:

This is for DirecTV Now, their new streaming service which is geared toward the cost-conscious and cord-cutters. That's how it's described in googled articles, at least.

Now, post a link showing DirecTV's traditional satellite service has regionalized the Longhorn Network. I dare you.
From national to regional, if it's a streaming service how can it be regional? Why did they move it to regional from national?
etexorange
Well, it's kind of funny. I went to the writer's link and sure enough, the Longhorn Network is not available in Oklahoma. Neither is the SEC Network.

Then I put in a Texas zip code and while the Longhorn Network is available in Texas, I did not see the SEC Network. What's up with that?

Enter zip code
MSU/SECALUM
etexorange said:

Well, it's kind of funny. I went to the writer's link and sure enough, the Longhorn Network is not available in Oklahoma. Neither is the SEC Network.

Then I put in a Texas zip code and while the Longhorn Network is available in Texas, I did not see the SEC Network. What's up with that?

Enter zip code

That's a good question, I don't live in Texas but some on here should be able to answer that. I haven't been anywhere in the country that doesn't have the SECN.
etexorange
I see why. This was just a way of finding a list of regional sports networks and local channels.

SEC Network is available starting in the second-from-lowest of four tiers.

Edit: And to be honest with you, I looked at a reputable source showing the channels when DirectvNow debuted last year, and the Longhorn Network was listed nowhere. So I'm not sure it ever was streaming nationally on DirecTV's streaming service.
vander54
S
etexorange said:

Enter zip code

SEC Network is available on 3 of the 4 national packages. The only one it's not available on is the basic package. Longhorn Network is not available on any National package.

That is why SEC Network did not show up as a regional sports network. It is national, while Longhorn Network is regional.
Lungblood
We've got a butthurt sip battling a Mississippi State fan, on a Texas A&M Football message board.

Good job texags. I'd pay for these hot sports takes but you give them to me for free.
greg.w.h
AG
etexorange said:

Enter zip code

You know that one of the reasons Texas A&M left the Big 12 was to not only avoid the impact of the LHN but also make the SECN possibly? I have nothing but praise for DeLoss Dodds. Without him we wouldn't have done this. It took a genius!!!
Jock 07
AG
Uh pretty sure this has always been the case ever since DIRECTV picked them up. It's always been blacked out for me while I've lived outside of the state. It's always been an RSN
WoMD
I lost the longhorn network?! Now I'm bummed. At least I had it for a few months...

I always enjoyed skipping past it when scrolling on the guide.
ccatag
AG
Regional network for a regional team in the regional bdf conference. Quite logical and understandable actually.
Skull Session
It should be going belly-up pretty soon. The mouse has been cutting the cheese lately trying to shed dead weight. The Lhn is the deadest of the dead.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
I assume that if someone lived out of Texas and they wanted the LHN they could simply subscribe to the regional sports package on DTV and receive it.
TXAGBQ76
AG
How am I going to watch drunk soggy b's cooking show, animal kingdom, mack's fun house, etc. shows now?
Meximan
etexorange said:

You wouldn't laugh if you had to go months on end borrowing food to survive. I've had to do it several times.
greg.w.h
AG
Meximan said:

etexorange said:

You wouldn't laugh if you had to go months on end borrowing food to survive. I've had to do it several times.
Cord cutting isn't solely about household economics. Some people stare at the majority of the TV they watch and go "no more".
agdaddy04
AG
We switched to DTVnow from DirecTv and the only thing I miss is Root Sports, but we save $160/month
Memphis 7
There are people still goaltending that abortion of a channel/decision?

Memphis 7
Do you even texags?
kcag90
AG
I have the highest DirectTV Now package in Kansas City (Big 12 Territory), and LHN is no longer listed in my Channel lineup. It used to be there.
Leander - Ag
AG
rip sip channel. There will be case study on the stupidity of this decision one day.
brotheraggie
Boring!!!
AnalogyAg
getting easier and easier for colleges to keep up with De'Loss' "Jonesendorfers".
Oldfart2
Wait. I have DirecTV and never found the lhn. Could be that I never looked though.
WoMD
Oldfart2 said:

Wait. I have DirecTV and never found the lhn. Could be that I never looked though.

I'm pretty sure that I didn't have it either. Found it odd that when I switched over to DIRECTV Now that that did have it though. It has the same viewership for both services so it doesn't really matter.
Aston04
AG
Fairly certain upper mgmt at AT&T (owner directTV) has very close ties to Texas. Just shows what a turd of a channel it is that they don't fully support it nationally. There is almost no demand for lhn outside of Texas.

Only reason it is carried so much is ESPN has so much leverage with ESPN, ESPN2, SEC Network, etc.- cable networks have agreed to throwing it in the package. So while on paper the channel doesn't perform that poorly (given whatever small fee ESPN attaches to it nationally), it actually performs much worse when you consider that ESPN would be collecting likely near those same total fees anyway (since lhn is so worthless). Outside of Texas, there is almost no subscriber demand for it (as evidenced by generally non-existent ratings).

In my opinion, the only reason ESPN has held on to the money-losing lhn is: 1. not admit a mistake 2. conference tv stability- lhn blocks fox or whoever from starting a viable big 12 network.
MSU/SECALUM
The Chicken Ranch said:

I assume that if someone lived out of Texas and they wanted the LHN they could simply subscribe to the regional sports package on DTV and receive it.
Do any Texas exes or fans ever leave or live outside the state of Texas? With the SECN going in to Mexico I wonder if you'll pick up some of the burnt orange tee shirt fans now that they don't get the LHN?
corybantic
LHN motto: What we do changes the world, region, Travis, Blanco, Williamson, and Burnet counties. </sad trombone sound>

If only they'd kept the taco making show.
stetson
AG
LOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.