Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

DIRECTV Now Moves Longhorn Network From National Channel to Regional

8,046 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggies1960
TheBro
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aston04 said:

Fairly certain upper mgmt at AT&T (owner directTV) has very close ties to Texas. Just shows what a turd of a channel it is that they don't fully support it nationally. There is almost no demand for lhn outside of Texas.

Only reason it is carried so much is ESPN has so much leverage with ESPN, ESPN2, SEC Network, etc.- cable networks have agreed to throwing it in the package. So while on paper the channel doesn't perform that poorly (given whatever small fee ESPN attaches to it nationally), it actually performs much worse when you consider that ESPN would be collecting likely near those same total fees anyway (since lhn is so worthless). Outside of Texas, there is almost no subscriber demand for it (as evidenced by generally non-existent ratings).

In my opinion, the only reason ESPN has held on to the money-losing lhn is: 1. not admit a mistake 2. conference tv stability- lhn blocks fox or whoever from starting a viable big 12 network.
And they have a contract.
Aston04
AG
That no doubt has some sort of out clause. (Which goes back to not wanting to admit a mistake in paying whatever exit fee is attached).
TMartin
Let's not ever forget ESPN will end up pouring $305M into the sip coffers and opened a broadcast a studio in Austin that costs something like another $30M a year and also loses money annually.
aggies1960
I have the Mega Errthing package on Xfinity Comcast and when I say "longhorn network" into my alien-created voice remote I get this. LOL.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.