Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

New Rolexes - which one would you choose?

9,794 Views | 95 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by EVA3
1/2 Man 1/2 Amazing
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love the watch-hating community. Y'all crack me up
aTm2004
AG
1/2 Man 1/2 Amazing said:

No crap. They don't realize that they have things that they spend money on that others think is silly and can not pick at.

1. Spend $2k on a custom 1911 when a Glock or SA is just as reliable and accurate
2. Drive F-250s and never go off road and tow a boat a Tacoma can handle
3. Spend $1k on a dinner at a fancy restaurant
4. Add a multitude of other things here
C Loves L
zephyr88 said:

Waterproof to 4,000 feet... why???

I take it you've never dropped your car keys while surfing a few hundred miles out from Norfolk VA. The North Atlantic, can be pretty rough
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
I could never justify buying a Rolex with starving babies in Africa..

I did however justify going to the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona back in January for about the same price. Does that make me a bad person or just a Democrat?

Caesar4
AG
I always liked Casio
3xranger
AG
Sea Dweller.
Joe Exotic
AG
aTm2004 said:

No crap. They don't realize that they have things that they spend money on that others think is silly and can not pick at.

1. Spend $2k on a custom 1911 when a Glock or SA is just as reliable and accurate

My dad had a Rolex and left to to me when he died. I've literally never worn it. I just don't get the allure. It's a watch. It tells time. Not sure what else it does.
aTm2004
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

aTm2004 said:

My dad had a Rolex and left to to me when he died. I've literally never worn it. I just don't get the allure. It's a watch. It tells time. Not sure what else it does.

It's a hand built piece of machinery that will last a lifetime with regular maintenance. Every watch has its own unique characteristics that make it different from the one built before and after it.

Why do people buy a Ferrari when a Z06 out performs it in pretty much everything for less than half the cost? Why do some men spend $5k on a custom suit when you can get a tailored suit at Mens Warehouse for less than $1k? Why do people spend thousands of dollars a year for season tickets to a team that can't come close to winning it's own division despite have advantages many schools would kill for?

As I stated, everybody has something they spend money on that others don't understand. Watches are no different. I'm sure you have your things as well that I don't find the allure of.
Joe Exotic
AG
Multiple Gibson Les Pauls
aTm2004
AG
Is the tone difference really enough to justify buying multiple ones? I can hear the difference between a LP and a Strat (humbucker vs single coil), but couldn't tell you the difference between an Epiphone and LP Standard.
OldAg68
AG
My Timex Expedition work great, and I can replace it at Academy for $39.99.

Bought my wife a Rolex, earned lots of points.
Joe Exotic
AG
aTm2004 said:

Is the tone difference really enough to justify buying multiple ones? I can hear the difference between a LP and a Strat (humbucker vs single coil), but couldn't tell you the difference between an Epiphone and LP Standard.

A real gibby has a thick maple cap on the mahogany body as opposed to a veneer on the epi. The maple cap gives it a bit more brightness and clarity. A better comparison is fhe studio versus the standard line, which is mostly aesthetics and about $1.5k.
biobioprof
aTm2004 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

aTm2004 said:

It's a hand built piece of machinery that will last a lifetime with regular maintenance. Every watch has its own unique characteristics that make it different from the one built before and after it.

Why do people buy a Ferrari when a Z06 out performs it in pretty much everything for less than half the cost? Why do some men spend $5k on a custom suit when you can get a tailored suit at Mens Warehouse for less than $1k? Why do people spend thousands of dollars a year for season tickets to a team that can't come close to winning it's own division despite have advantages many schools would kill for?

As I stated, everybody has something they spend money on that others don't understand. Watches are no different. I'm sure you have your things as well that I don't find the allure of.
So... we ridicule a lot of those things and much more. Why should watches be any different?

The thing about your examples, though, is you're pointing out cases where an item is outperformed by something and the price difference is 2-10X. As soon as digitalis appeared decades ago, the luxury watches were outperformed by things where the price difference is 100-1000X.

To use your car example: if you could get the winning car from the first race from Paris to Bordeaux in 1895, it would cost a heck of a lot more than a Ferrari. But you wouldn't be buying it for performance; it would be smoked by a Nissan Versa.
zephyr88
AG
C Loves L said:

zephyr88 said:

Waterproof to 4,000 feet... why???
I take it you've never dropped your car keys while surfing a few hundred miles out from Norfolk VA. The North Atlantic, can be pretty rough
I'll keep that in mind for the next one I purchase...
panhandlefarmer
AG
It isn't really watch hating. It is just people that don't wear jewelry and don't need a watch when they have a phone that keeps time and does a few other things a watch doesn't do. Nothing wrong with jewelry. My wife wears some.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Never was a Rolex fan. Would rather have a Tag.
C Loves L
I'm a big fan of Bulova watches. I have several
outlaw46
AG
The free one.

chigger
AG
I guess I'd be put in the "watch-hater" group? I can't actually say I hate them but I sure don't get the interest. I don't spend obscene amounts of money on anything though.
VaAg12
AG
Definitely the Sky Dweller!
Hms300
AG
complete waste of money!!
Lateralus Ag
AG
chigger said:

I guess I'd be put in the "watch-hater" group? I can't actually say I hate them but I sure don't get the interest. I don't spend obscene amounts of money on anything though.

One man's "obscene" amount of money is another man's pocket change.
EVA3
AG
Sea dweller
strbrst777
Buy what you like and wear what you like. I do not look up to the person who buys and wears a Rolex and
I do not look down at the person who buys and wears a Seiko (me), Timex or any other make. It to me does not matter...period! I have never wanted a Rolex or any expensive watch...and I never will. It's something that I neither need or want. Give me a Rolex, I probably would not wear it. I had an acquaintance who years ago flashed his Rolex and told me that he had just spent $300 to have it opened and cleaned...something like that. He was not complaining...just sort of bragging. My thought was, "OK, so what?," but I politely said, "That's a nice watch, thanks for showing it to me."
AnyOtherName
AG
I would love to be sold on a Rolex. Anyone willing to let me have theirs?
C Loves L
strbrst777 said:

Buy what you like and wear what you like. I do not look up to the person who buys and wears a Rolex and
I do not look down at the person who buys and wears a Seiko (me), Timex or any other make. It to me does not matter...period! I have never wanted a Rolex or any expensive watch...and I never will. It's something that I neither need or want. Give me a Rolex, I probably would not wear it. I had an acquaintance who years ago flashed his Rolex and told me that he had just spent $300 to have it opened and cleaned...something like that. He was not complaining...just sort of bragging. My thought was, "OK, so what?," but I politely said, "That's a nice watch, thanks for showing it to me."

I imagine your "wild nights" to include drinking Coke after 9pm on a Friday
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
You said the Z10 out performs the Ferrari 488?

You sir know nothing about automobiles.

But I'll answer your question with another question: why use a woman's vagina when a sheep vagina costs nothing?

cheeky
AG
aTm2004 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

aTm2004 said:

Do you have any idea how much of your ass you just showed?
aTm2004
AG
AlphaCharlieUniformAggie said:

You said the Z10 out performs the Ferrari 488?

You sir know nothing about automobiles.

But I'll answer your question with another question: why use a woman's vagina when a sheep vagina costs nothing?

Ferrari 488:
0-60: 3.0 seconds
1/4 mile: 10.6 seconds
HP: 660
Price: ~$270,000

Corvette Z06:
0-60: 3.3 seconds
1/4 mile: 11.4 seconds
HP: 650
Price: ~$90,000

You're right. The extra $180,000 gains you 0.3 seconds to 60 and 0.8 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

I'm not even going to answer your question because it is one of the dumbest comparisons made on this site. I'm assuming you're the reason the sips call us sheep humpers.
aTm2004
AG
Stagecoach said:

aTm2004 said:

Bayside Tiger Ag said:

aTm2004 said:

Do you have any idea how much of your ass you just showed?
Pointing out the fact that we all have things we like and can justify spending money on that others cannot is showing my ass? How so? Or, were you triggered by my shot at A&M football? From 2000 - 2014 I did not miss a single home game and tried to make 1 out of town or the bowl game each year, so I was once one of the people who wasted a lot of money on an inferior product.
strbrst777
C Loved L, so you think that my wild nights must be drinking a coke on Friday night. And the conclusion is based on the fact that I have a Seiko rather than Rolex. I fail to see any connection between "a wild night' and a watch. You've connected connecting "dots" where there are no dots. Ridiculous post!
stetson
AG
I prefer the watch that was first to the moon...

PaulSimonsGhost
AG
Hold up, let's take a step back 2004.

First, I must apologize for my rudeness. You clearly DO know about cars and I was just being hyperbolic.

HOWEVER, I must point out that your basis for comparison is at best outdated because Corvette and Ferrari don't drag race for pink slips. Rate of excelliration might help when coming out of a turn but the hefty horsepower of the 488 more than compensates on the straighaways. Each car is desighned for handling the terrain where it was engineered - Corvette for the long strips of drag in the US; Ferrari for the narrow switchbacks of northern Italy.

Point in case the Aston Martin Vantage GT has abysmal excelliration but will drift corners without even engaging her brakes for navigating the pieces of **** they call roads in the UK.

FERRARI and Corvette are evenly matched in recent endurance races, namely the 24 Hours Du Le Mans. Risi Compteizone out of Houston finished 2nd last year behind the contiversial Ford GT. Corvette's factory team didn't even finish this year beacause of a crash but did take the top podium in the 2015 Le Mans.

Where the Ferrari pedigree and it's storied lineage clearly attracts people like me, the muscle and American bravado of Corvette may attract yourself to the Z series.

Of course, the 488 chassis with her classical Enzo DNA just looks like an orgasim.

At the end of the day it's all purely academic as I can't afford a Ferrari and you shouldn't buy a Corvette because you're probably NOT a pretentious deusch bag.

But I say we should both choose the Audi R8 for our mid-life crisis.

Gig'em.
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

But I say we should both choose the Audi R8 for our mid-life crisis.
I'd prefer the 991 GTS. My sweet spot for performance and comfort.

But just for giggles...the 488 and C6 Z06 are only 1.05 seconds apart at the Nurburgring (C6 ZR1 actually has a 2 second advantage over the 488). We'll see what the C7 does once they release the times. Rumors are 7:08. A little more than just drag racing. The Germans and Italians now have the Americans and Japanese to contend with.
PaulSimonsGhost
AG
True that about us and the Japanese. Corvette took the Le Mans GTLM class in '15, and the Ford GT grabbed 1st and 3rd last summer. The whole world watched Toyota lose the pro prototype/overall win with a blown fuse on the LAST f- ing lap proving once and for all that God is in fact a Deutchman. That still bugs me but Audi was classy enough to send their trophy to Toyota.

Lexus has a team in the IMSA Weather Tech Challange while Acura has 2. I#d like to see Nissan Nissimo make a presence in the US but they larger footprint remains with Australia and in the Asian Le Mans Series.

Chevy will continue to lead th US in racing excellence but by most accounts Ford's GT project was just a show of force and producing a half million dollar car isn't financially viable. DODGE had a Viper team in the Weather Tech last year, but for the same reasons as with Ford the Viper, despite several major podium finishes, will not be a major presence.

Personally, I wish Masarati was more a player but alas, their focus like Jaguar and Lotus is Formula 1.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.