Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Where have Clemson's recruiting classes ranked the past five years?

12,615 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by _mpaul
maxnow21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
2012: 15th
2013: 15th
2014: 7th
2015: 9th
2016: 11th
Mort Rainey
Weird, it's almost like you can win consistently with similar recruiting classes to ours...
libertyag
AG
Yeah, but did they have swag?
fightinag
wOw......makes me wonder if coaching might have anything to do with a team's performance....
Nah.....just get top quality players and let them run the team !
Fire SUMLIN ...... he'll make a decent High School or Junior High Coach
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
maxnow21
Clemson's record the past 5 years-
2012: 11-2
2013: 11-2
2014: 10-3
2015: 14-1
2016: 14-1
Mike Elko
AG
Impressive, but they do play in the ACC. Not an excuse for our results, but worth mentioning.
Mort Rainey
AustinAg2012 said:

Impressive, but they do play in the ACC. Not an excuse for our results, but worth mentioning.
Give me a break
Matsui
AG
What a joke of a statement. We would still lose 1/2 those teams.
Mike Elko
AG
Cool.
maxnow21
Waiting for the excuses to roll in...
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Actually, I think a hidden factor in this might be inflated recruiting ratings of Texas high school football players.

One could argue that the extreme emphasis put on high school football in Texas leads to kids coming out of high school being further developed physically.
This causes the recruiting services to grade these guys higher than a recruit from some other state where football isn't as big who hasn't developed as much physically.
Since 5-star guys are rare (25-30), the services do pretty well at picking these guys out because they really do stand out. However, 4-star guys are probably graded with more of a broad brush since there are 150-250 of them to where the more fully developed Texas kid is more likely to get the nod for 4 stars over a less developed key d from another state.
The end result is that while it is easy to blame coaches for lack of player development, it could very well be that the players just didn't have that much more development to go from where they were in high school.
It would sure go a long way to explain us and the sips over the last few years.
Mort Rainey
maxnow21 said:

Waiting for the excuses to roll in...
Look a couple comments above you, they're already here
Ragoo
AG
Is this thread supposed to prove that Sumlin has underachieved expectations? i would think results in the field above all else would do that. Instead we have to use same tired talking points like salary, recruiting rankings, expenditures on stadium/facility improvements. Weird.
FarmerJohn
AG
Quote:

Check out the bowl records this year. The ACC was the best conference.
Uncle Jimbo
AustinAg2012 said:

The ACC kicked the SEC's ass the last few years.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
So the OP's point is that we should accept mediocrity in recruiting?
Ragoo
AG
Uncle Jimbo said:

AustinAg2012 said:

The ACC kicked the SEC's ass the last few years.
playing an 8 game ACC schedule leaves you closer to 100% for a one off game against the SEC. Clemson was on another level though. Shutting out tOSU and beating bama like they did.
maxnow21
Ragoo said:

Is this thread supposed to prove that Sumlin has underachieved expectations? i would think results in the field above all else would do that. Instead we have to use same tired talking points like salary, recruiting rankings, expenditures on stadium/facility improvements. Weird.
Here, I posted this in another thread. Maybe this will help you connect the dots.

Clemson vs. Texas A&M recruiting class rankings-
2012: 15th -- 16th
2013: 15th -- 9th
2014: 7th -- 5th
2015: 9th -- 11th
2016: 11th -- 18th

Clemson vs Texas A&M record the past 5 years-
2012: 11-2 -- 11-2
2013: 11-2 -- 9-4
2014: 10-3 -- 8-5
2015: 14-1 -- 8-5
2016: 14-1 -- 8-5
Mort Rainey
maxnow21 said:

Ragoo said:

Here, I posted this in another thread. Maybe this will help you connect the dots.

BUT SEC WEST DUUUUURRRRRPPPP
Ragoo
AG
maxnow21 said:

Ragoo said:

maybe you don't understand. All you need to highlight Sumlin's under achieving record is the under achieving record. Period. The rest is just pointless drivel.
Ragoo
AG
GeorgePlimpton said:

maxnow21 said:

Ragoo said:

putside of Georgia and the bowl game find me an impressive win.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/team/147/index.html
ghowe
AG
Yeah and they just won the National Championship against an SEC opponent. AND played in the National Championship game a year ago showing very well and lost a close one. These class rankings are a guess, an educated one perhaps, but still a guess. Is one Schools rank 7 or 17? And really what is the difference between the two? It's hard to say. Success as in most things in a formula of doing many things right. There is no silver bullet. It's a number of factors. My problem with the current formula, is the level to which Sumlin teams seem to be undisciplined, low degree of basic fundamental technique, low level of "compete", passion, enthusiasm and straight up lack of desire to get after people's ass. It's a culture thing and we don't have IT.

Ragoo
AG
GeorgePlimpton said:

maxnow21 said:

Ragoo said:

Outside of Louisville and the bowl game find me an impressive win.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/team/147/index.html
maxnow21
Ragoo said:

maxnow21 said:

Ragoo said:

maybe you don't understand. All you need to highlight Sumlin's under achieving record is the under achieving record. Period. The rest is just pointless drivel.
No, I understand that 100%. I was just trying to help the average TexAgs user understand our level of under-performance, and those blind sheep need a little more help.
Ragoo
AG
If you don't think who you play matters I don't know what to tell you. Playing wake forest, Virginia, duke, Syracuse, etc year in and year out is not exactly impressive on top of two cream puffs.
maxnow21
Emilio Fantastico said:

Actually, I think a hidden factor in this might be inflated recruiting ratings of Texas high school football players.

One could argue that the extreme emphasis put on high school football in Texas leads to kids coming out of high school being further developed physically.
This causes the recruiting services to grade these guys higher than a recruit from some other state where football isn't as big who hasn't developed as much physically.
Since 5-star guys are rare (25-30), the services do pretty well at picking these guys out because they really do stand out. However, 4-star guys are probably graded with more of a broad brush since there are 150-250 of them to where the more fully developed Texas kid is more likely to get the nod for 4 stars over a less developed key d from another state.
The end result is that while it is easy to blame coaches for lack of player development, it could very well be that the players just didn't have that much more development to go from where they were in high school.
Right on cue. What is your excuse for the coaches being ignorant of this, or incapable of recruiting the necessary athletes? And what about the 10+ guys Bama, OSU, LSU, even OU take take from this state every year? Explain, if Texas talent is so inferior, why do these teams cherry pick our talent? And what is the excuse for the in-state SEC team for not landing said talent?
Mike Elko
AG
GeorgePlimpton: The most miserable person on Texags, which is saying A LOT. Congrats, guy.
maxnow21
Ragoo said:

If you don't think who you play matters I don't know what to tell you. Playing wake forest, Virginia, duke, Syracuse, etc year in and year out is not exactly impressive on top of two cream puffs.
Does it REALLY matter when they stand toe to toe with Bama and FSU? Bama wipes the floor with everyone except that team who plays creampuffs and recruits at identical levels to us. And FSU would wipe the floor with us. Miami would too.
Mort Rainey
AustinAg2012 said:

GeorgePlimpton: The most miserable person on Texags, which is saying A LOT. Congrats, guy.
You're just mad that everyone made fun of your comment
Bird Poo
AG
Emilio Fantastico said:

Jimmy Johnson was interviewed the other day, and he said the MOST important person on his staff was the talent evaluator(s).

I thought that was interesting, and perhaps goes along with this post.
fightinag
maxnow21 said:

Ragoo said:

Does it REALLY matter when they stand toe to toe with Bama and FSU? Bama wipes the floor with everyone except that team who plays creampuffs and recruits at identical levels to us. And FSU would wipe the floor with us. Miami would too.
but look what we did to Prarie View !
And we did struggle but beat that powerhouse that is UTSA...
Texas A&M's acceptance of mediocrity is pathetic !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
maxnow21
fightinag said:

maxnow21 said:

Ragoo said:

but look what we did to Prarie View !
And we did struggle but beat that powerhouse that is UTSA...
Texas A&M's acceptance of mediocrity is pathetic !
Watch out, those are chump's trigger words!
tarletontexan
S
I vote we recruit like Clemson. Its amazing how many recruits they have been able to land seemingly out of the blue, like these two gentlemen.

maxnow21
tarletontexan said:

I vote we recruit like Clemson. Its amazing how many recruits they have been able to land seemingly out of the blue, like these two gentlemen.

This is you if you don't think everyone does that
Mort Rainey
tarletontexan said:

What is the point of this post if we are getting similar recruiting classes, as shown above?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.