Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Cal fires Sonny Dykes

13,839 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Olsen
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Woah. Apparently he and administration havent been on good terms.
Sex Panther
AG
Guess Chip won't have to sell his house
Bunk Moreland
Feldman said Justin Wilcox is a candidate.... And of course this...

Aggiefanforever2012
AG
New OC?
Vepp
. . .
19-30 AND went job shopping after every season? Yeah, we'll just fire you.
Olsen
AG
Sumlin should hire Dykes as an offense analyst!
Post removed:
by user
FabricatorAg
Sasappis said:

I guess Kelly could take the job but he has to know that sitting out a year will give him the pick of almost all jobs next year. I assume he is either getting paid by the 49ers or that he has enough money where he can sit out a year without concern. He also could/would do media for some income.

I have to assume a much better job than Cal will be available next year.

I firmly believe that year or two off really reinvigorated Urban Meyer, as well as gave him to really diagnose the game. Not that he doesn't know football, but the way he explained it was like breaking a writers block almost when he came back.

I really don't know if I like Chip Kelly as a candidate here for one reason..his time in the NFL has proven he's arrogant and doesn't learn from mistakes, like his offense never really working other than his first year in the league.
SA-AG72
AG
Quote:

I really don't know if I like Chip Kelly as a candidate here for one reason..his time in the NFL has proven he's arrogant and doesn't learn from mistakes, like his offense never really working other than his first year in the league.

Sounds like our current HC.
Sex Panther
AG
All of the reports on Chip say that he eats, sleeps and breathes football. He has absolutely no life outside of coaching, including no family. Guy probably wouldn't know what to do if he's not coaching.
biobioprof
Cal players heard the news via Twitter

Spavital wii be interim
Hamburger Dan
I'm close to members of Dykes family. It sounds like they were caught off guard. He had been in the process of interviewing DC candidates. He hasn't been on great terms with his administration, and losing a lot didn't help.
Vepp
Sex Panther said:

All of the reports on Chip say that he eats, sleeps and breathes football. He has absolutely no life outside of coaching, including no family. Guy probably wouldn't know what to do if he's not coaching.

Don't know Kellys story really but if this is true he is the Billy G of football. Although Billy G did reportedly have a drinking life.
AG 73
AG
Opportunity for Spav?
Meximan
Vepp said:

Sex Panther said:

Don't know Kellys story really but if this is true he is the Billy G of football. Although Billy G did reportedly have a drinking life.
A lot more than reportedly...
AgOutsideAustin
AG
So 2 of the 19 were vs tu, that's funny.
p-wonk01
AG
Vepp said:

Sex Panther said:

You mean leaving a place where you could be a legacy and going to where the grass is greener only to fail? (Though I don't fault either for it). Yeah..pretty similar
Vepp
Meximan said:

Vepp said:

Sex Panther said:

A lot more than reportedly...

I say reportedly because I've never seen him in drinking in real life
aggiehawg
AG
biobioprof said:

Cal players heard the news via Twitter

Spavital wii be interim
LOL.
phatpat21
Top 10 offense with new QB and receivers? With Spav? Geez... maybe it is A&M who is cursed
biobioprof
One reason Spavital could end up with the job
Quote:

By many standards, University of California, Berkeley has an incredible sports program. Its 30 sports are second only to Stanford in the Pac-12 Conference, and the school has won 22 national titles in the past decade. At the Rio Olympics, current or former Cal athletes collected 21 medals, including eight golds.

By another measure, Cal sports are in big trouble. After completing the most expensive college football stadium overhaul ever, the Golden Bears now owe more money than any other college sports program. Hobbled by debt service payments, the athletic department ran a $22 million deficit last year and expects to end this fiscal year deep in the red.
#2 on the debt list: us. But there's a big difference in revenue.

Not sure what Cal will have to pay Dykes next year. They may be hoping they can get Kelly in a way where the 49ers pay most of the cost.

Or it's just a weird irrational decision.
Olsen
AG
Cal possibly getting Chip Kelly is a great move to get Kelly back in the Pac-12. Send Sonny Dykes back to the state of Texas.
AgCanuck07
AG
Wow, great point. I forgot about their debt issues. I wonder if Dyke's buyout decreased after the start of the new year. Timing is still wierd.
BMX Bandit
Some scuttlebutt out there that Kelly will only go to a Nike school. So that would rule out Cal if true
Brick Tamland
My bad. Didn't realize they signed with UA
aggiehawg
AG
AgCanuck07 said:

Wow, great point. I forgot about their debt issues. I wonder if Dyke's buyout decreased after the start of the new year. Timing is still wierd.
Probably. He was hired a few days before Tubs left tech in 2012. (Otherwise, Dykes likely would have been hired instead of Kliff.) So that would be him in the last year of his original contract. (Don't think he was extended recently. AFAIK.)
RightWingConspirator
AG
We've had many coaches here that have failed where they succeeded fantastically in other locations. Chavis and Torbush are the first two that come to mind. Sometimes it does feel like we're cursed.
fightinag
Irony....

Spav is named head coach and outperforms Sumlin as such.
Actually not that much of a high bar to set !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
2thFixinAg
RightWingConspirator said:

We've had many coaches here that have failed where they succeeded fantastically in other locations. Chavis and Torbush are the first two that come to mind. Sometimes it does feel like we're cursed.
at some point you have to stop saying the problem is with the double digit assistants that have come and gone and look at what the common factor has consistently been.

eg HDIC
Deputy Travis Junior
His performance review with the AD must have gone horribly to get a pink slip this late. Like "broke out into a screaming match" horribly.

I think the early Tedford days have them an inflated sense of that job. That's a really tough gig. No student support, ancient facilities, and tough academic requirements. The right guy can win there, but the right guy might be one coach out of a hundred.

EDIT: apparently they've renovated their facilities. My bad. Still think it's a tough job though
phatpat21
Seriously. Get real tired of saying Chavis is a bad D coordinator blah blah blah. Hate to say but he didnt all of a sudden get bad. The dude is one of the best. Yet he comes here and all of sudden sucks. Nope, it's something going on inside the program, IMO. Or we are cursed and should have built a new Kyle Field on west campus and started from scratch.
MaxPower
Notice Torbush never was worth a crap again after us. In many cases we either hired guys passed their prime (Torbush) or who weren't ready yet (Spav). Chavis is looking to be in the Torbush category. It's also possible just wrong place, wrong time.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Quote:

like his offense never really working other than his first year in the league.

A few College Coaches who Failed in the NFL:

-John McKay (the darrel royal of U$Cw)
-Chuck Fairbanks
-Lou Holtz
-Dennis Erickson
-Steve Spurrier
-NIck Saban
-Butch Davis
-Bobby Petrino

Those are just the ones who come to mind. I bet propper research would turn up at least 30 winners at major college programs who flopped professionally.
P.C. Principal
Spav being the head coach of a P5 team
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.