Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Another reminder of why it is tough in the SEC

2 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggiehawg
StrykerAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
According to two-four-seven:

Texas A&M's 2013 recruiting class was ranked #9 in the country, good enough for 4th in our division and #5 in the SEC behind Alabama, Florida, LSU, and Ole Miss.

Our 2014 class was ranked #5. #3 in the SEC behind Alabama and LSU, who had the top 2 classes in the nation.

Our 11th-ranked 2015 class was 6th in the SEC behind Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, and Auburn.

Our 2016 class ranked #18 in the country was 8th in the conference and 5th in the division.

Since 2008, Alabama has had a top 5 class every year. #3 in 2008, #2 in 2009, #5 in 2010, and the top-ranked recruiting class every year since 2011. They currently have the top class for this year.

LSU hasn't been a recruiting slouch during that time period either. #1 in 2009, #8 in 2010 and 2011, #14 in 2012, #6 in 2013, #2 in 2014, #6 in 2015, and #3 in 2016.

Here are the 2013-2016 rankings of SEC recruiting classes up to and including the lowest ranked team we played this season, with our 2016 opponents bolded. I also included UCLA's rankings

1 Alabama
3 Florida
6 LSU
8 Ole Miss
9 Texas A&M
10 Auburn
12 Georgia
20 South Carolina
23 Arkansas
24 Tennessee
25 Mississippi State

*UCLA #7

2014 SEC classes

1 Alabama
2 LSU
5 Texas A&M
6 Auburn
7 Tennessee
8 Georgia
9 Florida
15 Ole Miss
19 South Carolina
22 Kentucky
29 Arkansas
35 Mississippi State

*UCLA #18

2015 SEC classes

1 Alabama
4 Tennessee
5 Georgia
6 LSU
8 Auburn
11 Texas A&M
17 Ole Miss
18 Mississippi State
19 South Carolina
21 Florida
23 Arkansas

*UCLA #12

2016 SEC classes

1 Alabama
3 LSU
5 Ole Miss
8 Georgia
9 Auburn
12 Florida
14 Tennessee
18 Texas A&M
23 Arkansas
24 South Carolina
28 Mississippi State

*UCLA #13

Just shows us what we already know:

1. We need to land top recruits
2. We need a competent coaching staff
3. We shouldn't be losing to Mississippi State
JMJLAW
AG
StrykerAg said:

According to two-four-seven:

Texas A&M's 2013 recruiting class was ranked #9 in the country, good enough for 4th in our division and #5 in the SEC behind Alabama, Florida, LSU, and Ole Miss.

Our 2014 class was ranked #5. #3 in the SEC behind Alabama and LSU, who had the top 2 classes in the nation.

Our 11th-ranked 2015 class was 6th in the SEC behind Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, LSU, and Auburn.

Our 2016 class ranked #18 in the country was 8th in the conference and 5th in the division.

Since 2008, Alabama has had a top 5 class every year. #3 in 2008, #2 in 2009, #5 in 2010, and the top-ranked recruiting class every year since 2011. They currently have the top class for this year.

LSU hasn't been a recruiting slouch during that time period either. #1 in 2009, #8 in 2010 and 2011, #14 in 2012, #6 in 2013, #2 in 2014, #6 in 2015, and #3 in 2016.

Here are the 2013-2016 rankings of SEC recruiting classes up to and including the lowest ranked team we played this season, with our 2016 opponents bolded. I also included UCLA's rankings

1 Alabama
3 Florida
6 LSU
8 Ole Miss
9 Texas A&M
10 Auburn
12 Georgia
20 South Carolina
23 Arkansas
24 Tennessee
25 Mississippi State

*UCLA #7

2014 SEC classes

1 Alabama
2 LSU
5 Texas A&M
6 Auburn
7 Tennessee
8 Georgia
9 Florida
15 Ole Miss
19 South Carolina
22 Kentucky
29 Arkansas
35 Mississippi State

*UCLA #18

2015 SEC classes

1 Alabama
4 Tennessee
5 Georgia
6 LSU
8 Auburn
11 Texas A&M
17 Ole Miss
18 Mississippi State
19 South Carolina
21 Florida
23 Arkansas

*UCLA #12

2016 SEC classes

1 Alabama
3 LSU
5 Ole Miss
8 Georgia
9 Auburn
12 Florida
14 Tennessee
18 Texas A&M
23 Arkansas
24 South Carolina
28 Mississippi State

*UCLA #13

Just shows us what we already know:

1. We need to land top recruits
2. We need a competent coaching staff
3. We shouldn't be losing to Mississippi State

Can you add in there the season finish for each team as well?

Nice info.
Aggie
AG
When you have zero player development... Recruiting rankings are meaningless.... Even more so than they actually are.
Ragoo
AG
Aggie said:

When you have zero player development... Recruiting rankings are meaningless.... Even more so than they actually are.
it is difficult to develop players when neatly an entire class is gone to attrition. Always playing young guys is not a good thing.
Meximan
The '13 class might have been ranked high, but almost no players remain. That class has wrecked the program every year since then.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Meximan said:

The '13 class might have been ranked high, but almost no players remain. That class has wrecked the program every year since then.

Why are all those players gone? The class of 14 should all be juniors now. Where is their development at this stage?

Just seems to me that there are still a lot of huge holes in our team after 5 years of Sumlin's great recruiting. Is it just a really good run of bad luck? I feel like he has the coaches in place to develop some players.

If I try to take an unbiased perspective it LOOKS like he should have a good couple of years behind him looking for a really good year this and next and should be reloading in the 17 class.

ETA: Thanks for posting this info. It illustrates your point very well.

zephyr88
AG
The dynasty known as Alabama seems to have no end in sight... everyone else is playing for second.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Additionally, the Ole Miss recruiting classes are interesting to look at. Bama has lost to OM two of the last three years, right?

Saban, I am sure, probably hates that fact.
zephyr88
AG
Read this recently... "Everybody loves to win. If you hate to lose, then I want you on my team. Surround yourself with people who desperately hate losing and you will outperform a culture of people who love to win."
Lateralus Ag
AG
zephyr88 said:

The dynasty known as Alabama seems to have no end in sight... everyone else is playing for second.

I agree. But if that is the case, we should be in the hunt. And we were right up until the end of the third quarter in that Bama game this year. Since that time, we have been a completely different team.

After seeing the defensive play count, I think we can point to two overriding factors in our losses late this season:

1. Too many 3rd down conversions allowed and too many punts on the offense. Defense has been on the field just too much. (I know, that sounds like two things).

2. Depth. Our #2's are just not nearly at the level they should be. And our #1's are just flat worn out. Get off the field on 3rd down. This bend between the 20's is sucking the life out of this team.

Remember the goal line stands against Arkansas? This group is capable of great defense. Yea, yea, it is Arkansas, they suck, yadda yadda. That defense was flying to the ball, wrapping up, and making PLAYS. That has been missing since Q3 Bama.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Make some 3rd downs on Offense. Get off the field on 3rd on defense (imagine if you get a 3 and out just once more per game this year how many less plays our defense would have been on the field). Finally, get some depth on the DL.

Do thise things and we are a LOT more excited about bowl season and 2017.

Probably stating the obvious at this point, but I think Sumlin STILL has a chance to salvage his tenure at A&M. He HAS to get a QB that can contribute immediately. Is that Mond? Is it Starkel? Sumlin is betting on it.

This recruiting class HAS to have some DL guys that can play SEC level football as soon as they get to campus. Chavis has to have them all playing disciplined tough football across the two deep.

We won't win the SEC West next year, but with a little luck at QB and a little discipline on the Defense, and a LOT of depth, we can finish 2nd or 3rd and win 9 games next year.

That is a huge task. The kind of task I would expect a $5 million a year coach to rise and meet.
Ian Neff
AG
Dad gum that's a good post right there.
aggiehawg
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

Additionally, the Ole Miss recruiting classes are interesting to look at. Bama has lost to OM two of the last three years, right?

Saban, I am sure, probably hates that fact.
Ole Miss had the number one recruiting class several years back and kept snagging quality players. They could beat Bama, but without the depth the teams would break down by the end of the year. Losing Treadwell to a broken leg killed one season, for instance.

However, the NCAA is about to hammer them for their tactics in landing those prized recruits. We aren't talking Death Penalty, but bowl bans and schollie limits for a few years and a possible show cause for a coach or two. Freeze is cleaning house in advance of that, firing some people.

Yes, recruiting makes a football power. But cheating in recruiting and getting caught demolishes a program for decade.
zephyr88
AG
Nice read with good points. We will finish this season nine and four. Other programs would love to have that record. Unfortunately, we consistently have to rely on our out of conference schedule to get us there. If we are playing for second (or 3rd) then we can afford to lose no more than two of our conference games (see 2012).
Lateralus Ag
AG
Agree, Zephyr.
aggiehawg
AG
zephyr88 said:

Nice read with good points. We will finish this season nine and four. Other programs would love to have that record. Unfortunately, we consistently have to rely on our out of conference schedule to get us there. If we are playing for second (or 3rd) then we can afford to lose no more than two of our conference games (see 2012).
What we signed up for when we went to the SEC. Just the nature of the beast.

ETA: The schedules contribute to the difficulty some years. Look at Tennessee. by the time they played us and Bama back-to-back, they were done.
Ag Tag
Yes, we live in a tough neighborhood.
Lateralus Ag
AG
aggiehawg said:

zephyr88 said:

ETA: The schedules contribute to the difficulty some years. Look at Tennessee. by the time they played us and Bama back-to-back, they were done.

Something I wondered:

How would Clemson, tOSU, and Washington have fared if they played Tennessee's schedule?
aggiehawg
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

aggiehawg said:

zephyr88 said:

Something I wondered:

How would Clemson, tOSU, and Washington have fared if they played Tennessee's schedule?
Clemson would drop a few games, they really lucked into the playoffs this year a missed FG away from being a 2 or more loss team.

Washington will play Bama soon so we'll know the answer there.

Probably only Ohio State would stand a decent chance of emerging unscathed against that schedule. IMHO, of course.
zephyr88
AG
Ag Tag said:

aggiehawg
AG
zephyr88 said:

Ag Tag said:

The only team we haven't beaten at one time or another in the SEC West is LSU. And we should have won the first season without the kicking troubles.

We are working our way through the SEC East. Lost to Florida but have the chance to correct that. Drummed South Carolina and Vanderbilt, beat Tennessee. Have Georgia and Kentucky to go.

That's actually a better overall record than I expected for the first five years of SEC play. Thirteen teams. Of the eleven opponents we have faced over that span, we have a 9-2 record. And we haven't lost to any truly horrible teams like...ahem...Kansas.

But then again, I'm a glass-half-full kind of Ol' Dame.
ashley
Does anybody remember when everyone was saying that all the best players would want to come to us because they all would want to play against the best?
aggiehawg
AG
ashley said:

Does anybody remember when everyone was saying that all the best players would want to come to us because they all would want to play against the best?
So? You do realize that recruiting head-to-head against Bama, a cheating Ole Miss and who knows what is going on at Auburn has an effect?

Besides, we landed some highly rated players outside of Texas because of our raised profile. Visibility helps more than people think. We would never have the same visibility in the Big XII.
BMX Bandit
Several of our top recruits have said SEC is reason they chose us & out recruiting has improved since the move.

Not sure what point Ashley thinks he made.
Dobre casy
AG
Lateralus Ag said:

zephyr88 said:

I agree. But if that is the case, we should be in the hunt. And we were right up until the end of the third quarter in that Bama game this year. Since that time, we have been a completely different team.

After seeing the defensive play count, I think we can point to two overriding factors in our losses late this season:

1. Too many 3rd down conversions allowed and too many punts on the offense. Defense has been on the field just too much. (I know, that sounds like two things).

2. Depth. Our #2's are just not nearly at the level they should be. And our #1's are just flat worn out. Get off the field on 3rd down. This bend between the 20's is sucking the life out of this team.

Remember the goal line stands against Arkansas? This group is capable of great defense. Yea, yea, it is Arkansas, they suck, yadda yadda. That defense was flying to the ball, wrapping up, and making PLAYS. That has been missing since Q3 Bama.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Make some 3rd downs on Offense. Get off the field on 3rd on defense (imagine if you get a 3 and out just once more per game this year how many less plays our defense would have been on the field). Finally, get some depth on the DL.

Do thise things and we are a LOT more excited about bowl season and 2017.

Probably stating the obvious at this point, but I think Sumlin STILL has a chance to salvage his tenure at A&M. He HAS to get a QB that can contribute immediately. Is that Mond? Is it Starkel? Sumlin is betting on it.

This recruiting class HAS to have some DL guys that can play SEC level football as soon as they get to campus. Chavis has to have them all playing disciplined tough football across the two deep.

We won't win the SEC West next year, but with a little luck at QB and a little discipline on the Defense, and a LOT of depth, we can finish 2nd or 3rd and win 9 games next year.

That is a huge task. The kind of task I would expect a $5 million a year coach to rise and meet.
Pretty much sums it up. Nice post!
maxnow21
zephyr88 said:

This post reeks of mediocrity
aggiehawg
AG
maxnow21 said:

zephyr88 said:

No, it reeks of the reality of college football under a playoff regime. There's a very good reason the SEC looked at going to 9 conference games and decided to keep the 8 game schedule. It's called "math."

Nine conference games out of twelve in a season reduces every team's SOS because there are fewer wins available. It leads to a natural selection process where a few teams can never get bowl eligible.

Why do people think Briles scheduled patsies?? Needed those to pad his stats.

For a heavy contact sport where physical superiority can make a huge difference, there is still a place for strategic thinking.
zephyr88
AG
maxnow21 said:

zephyr88 said:

If you think I'm happy with this reality, you're wrong - I'm not.. but until we coach/play with the intensity of those who coach/play against us, it's a reasonable expectation .
Al Bula
AG
All this thread tells me is we should not be 8-4.
CrazyDayDuck
RPM said:

That's the bottom line.

We can whine and cry about how tough the SEC is. However, with our resources (3rd highest attendance in the nation and 7th highest paid HC in the nation), we should be doing better than .500 in conference play.

There is no shame in being 4th in the West, but the Return-On-Investment should be better. This will become an issue as the buyout gets lower.
aggiehawg
AG
RPM said:

Yeah, we shouldn't. The Ole Miss and Miss State losses were head scratchers. Sure we had critical injuries, but both of those teams were reeling too. The law of averages would have seemed that we at least split the difference and win one of those two.
CrazyDayDuck
BMX Bandit said:

Several of our top recruits have said SEC is reason they chose us & out recruiting has improved since the move.

Not sure what point Ashley thinks he made.

I agree.

Being in the SEC has, without a doubt, been a huge factor in many recruits picking us.
aggiehawg
AG
Just how tough of a 'hood are we in? Read this:

Quote:

With the nation's top-ranked scoring, total and rushing defense going up against the 13th ranked scoring offense, practices can get a bit heated. Star defensive end Jonathan Allen says the defense takes pride in not only stopping the Tide's offense in practice, but that they actively try to get offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin yelled at by Nick Saban.

"Coach Kiffin, he gets real competitive so he tries to scheme us a little bit, but feel like we do a good job," Allen said. "As a defense you try to get Coach Saban mad at him and try to get him yelled at in practice."

How often are the Alabama defenders successful in getting Kiffin yelled at?

"Oh all the time," Allen said with a smile. "All the time and we love it. I'm sure you guys have seen those on the TV, that's exactly how it is in practice."

As Saban has so eloquently described, those are not arguments they are "ass-chewings," and the Alabama defense enjoys when they're the reason Kiffin's catching heat from coach.

Cold.

LINK
CrazyDayDuck
Aggie said:

Exactly.

Recruiting rankings on NSD are indeed worthless, just like NFL Draft ratings are worthless.

Bobby Burton ranks the Texas schools five years after NSD. That's the way to do it.

The '13 class is a perfect example why.
Ag Tag
Quote:

But then again, I'm a glass-half-full kind of Ol' Dame.
You're a woman? Are you kinda hot? I'm single.
BowhunterAg83
AG
Nice post OP. Now is the time to " Coach those players up" ....

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.