Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Vintage A&M Cartoons/Graphics

10,774 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by lotoarmy
Fitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I posted this to Premium earlier and thought I'd share here as well.

One thing we've lost in the age of Photoshop and being PC is the art of hand drawn images and comics with a soul. Probably the closest thing to A&M-centric satire we've got today is some of the stuff that the Good Bull Hunting or the Mugdown does, a lot of which is pretty funny, but there's just something timeless about the old Fish Slouch comics and game programs. I wish some enterprising Viz student or 12th Man Studios worker would bring this back.

These are some classics that have been posted to TexAgs before. Any one have others to share?

Some non-A&M images:

texag86
AG
Love the nostalgia, particularly those game day program covers. The cartoons at the top aren't very funny but do take you back to simpler times!
bigbama247
AG
Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing!
wisdom
AG
In the early 60s...one of the names being considered for the school was Texas State University
cecil77
AG
Loved the Baylor program. Brings to mind "Baylor girls don't because Baylor boys won't".
Spicewood Ag
AG
This is awesome - thank you for providing it to us low-landers

The most important part is that back then we embraced our identity. Everyone did - and you can see it in the cartoons how the quirks that contributed to each school are highlighted and celebrated.

Now all the big schools are just PC-ing themselves into carbon copies of eachother.
rather be fishing
AG
From an old 1985 Aggie calendar I got from my grandfather:

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:

Listeater is a time traveler.
aggieland09
AG
Ha
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
quote:

That looks like Dr. Red Duke.
Jason C.
AG
I love the running gag that Ags are taking your women. Too good.
rather be fishing
AG
quote:
quote:

That looks like Dr. Red Duke.
That's who it's supposed to be. I'll try to pull it out this weekend and get pictures of the other months.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Nice!!!
aggiejim70
AG
The Rice game Slouch is talking about is from 1955, when A&M scored 20 in the last four minutes to pull it out. My dad, class of 1950, was one of those who walked out early only to have a "What the Hell" moment when he turned the game on the radio. He swore he would never do it again and for the next 45 years was a man of his word.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
champagnepapi
Can anyone expand on Aggies changing their name in the '60s.

Common names are: TAMU,TAMC, A&M....what else?
88jrt06
AG
Notice the "Gig Um" A&M/tu image was made by "47 Straight, Inc.".......that was OU's win streak under Wilkinson. You know they wanted us to kick tu's ass.

Today, even more, I'd wager.

Great stuff, OP!
SanAntoneAg
AG
quote:
I love the fact that Ags are taking your women. Too good.

FIFY!
Duck Blind
AG
Great stuff. Thx for sharing!
PlanetAggie
dcbowers
AG
quote:
Can anyone expand on Aggies changing their name in the '60s.

Common names are: TAMU,TAMC, A&M....what else?

As everyone knows, back when James Rudder was president in the 1960's, there were a lot of changes at A&M, including admitting women and non-corp students. Among the other changes was the name from A&M College of Texas to Texas A&M University. Rudder was (and perhaps still is) the only one who could have successfully made these changes.

Oh, and I was going to add-- Slouch (and Dr. Jim Earle) is my favorite Aggie Cartoon. ( dp is a close second.)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CollegeStationMaid
I just realized Mr Earle, one of my clients, is the creator of "Slouch". He has many of these program pictures framed and on his walls. I've been walking by them for over a year and didn't realize he was the creator. We had a pretty interesting conversation
Bluff Rat
AG

Not anymore
McInnis80
I love the program covers, especially from Auburn. Those were the days when most fans bought a program. Now they are huge with lots of ads and color, but not a lot info. With covers like these they might me to start buying programs.
Al Bula
AG
lotoarmy
AG
cecil77 said:

Loved the Baylor program. Brings to mind "Baylor girls don't because Baylor boys won't".
I thought it was......"Baylor men don't know how!". True story: A&M game at Waco 1968, Corps Trip, Baylor Homecoming. Homecoming court on field at 50 yd line. Lights go out for Flaming Baton homecoming routine. Lights come on. Homecoming Queen in full lip lock with Aggie Zip in boots! The fights were on! I was there. Unfortunately, not the zip, but a p head.
Last of the Old Army
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.