Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Mazzone while at Ole Miss

8,145 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by _mpaul
Josepi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was curious as to why Mazzone was at Ole Miss for only one season, and why the offense was so terrible that season. Was it Mazzone? Was it Orgeron? Something else? Here are what some Ole Miss fans had to say about it:

quote:
Primarily, it was because Orgeron was set on running a pro-style offense like Carroll was running at USC. Almost an exact replica of what Kiffin was running under Carroll. It wasn't Mazzone's brand of vodka and he struggled miserably. As a result, he was given the name "No Endzone Mazzone". The man's offense looked pretty decent in between the 20's. But we couldn't score touchdowns at all.

quote:
1. Orgeron wanted Kiffin or Sark as his OC to run the "USC offense", but Kiffin was elevated to OC at USC and Carrol sweetened Sark's deal with an "assistant head coach" title that Orgeron had taking them both off the table.
Orgeron didn't have a solid backup plan, and when the Ole Miss administration suggested Mazzone, who had been here with some success with Tubberville, Orgeron went along.

Either way, it was a bad marriage that only lasted one weak year. Mazzone wasn't able to hire his own O assistants and had to try to run a hybrid of his and USC's offense, with George DeLeon the O Line coach from Syracuse's blocking schemes. We had 0 pro style quarterbacks on campus and it was a disaster.

I think Mazzone is a fine OC who never should have taken this job unless he had guarantees he would call the offensive shots (including blocking schemes). I do not think he was willing to adapt his offense to the players he had. I think his willingness in the last few years to open his schemes to spread principals have made him a much better coach.

quote:
To combat the risk they were taking hiring Orgeron the AD wanted to hire an OC that could potentially take over as Head Coach temporarily if Orgeron failed. The AD hired Mazzone to a three year deal and Orgeron has never liked him. He was was fired about three games ago and has had lame duck status ever since. They have been seen arguing on the sidelines and supposedly Mazzone was told to leave at halftime and not come coach the 2nd half against Miss. St.

Right Rigger
RightWingConspirator
AG
I guess this is where we move into the "Bargaining/Acceptance" phase of the 5 stages of grief. First we had "Denial", which took place yesterday around 4:30 PM. Then we moved into the "Anger" phase last night from about 6:30 PM till about 8:00 AM this morning. Now we're bargaining ("Maybe this Mazzone isn't so bad," "Had we had him this year, we'd have won 11 games....", etc.)

I predict by noon today, we'll all be rejoicing that we somehow landed Noel Mazzone!

One thing is certain about A&M football. It will disappoint you, and after a few years of disappointment, it will hook you once again with the hopes of better days ahead. We will no doubt be disappointed again, but it may take a year or two.

I've now gone through this with RC, Fran, Sherm, Sumlin, etc. I think I may have lost my taste for A&M football.

When you're surrounded by three teams that have won national championships (OU, Horns, LSU) and surrounded by several teams that have at least played on New Years and have shown themselves capable of competing (Baylor, TCU, UofH), and we can't seem to sniff any semblance of anything close to the success of these other programs (despite an overwhelming resource advantage in many cases), it speaks volumes about our school and those that make the decisions.

Be content just being an Aggie, cause that's all you'll have to hang your hat on.
Slwdsm
I could easily see all of that being true....

Heard many times that orgeron is toxic and a terrible coach to work with/for.
fessparker
AG
quote:
Be content just being an Aggie, cause that's all you'll have to hang your hat on.
Cause that is enough!
Ag4coal
quote:
I guess this is where we move into the "Bargaining/Acceptance" phase of the 5 stages of grief. First we had "Denial", which took place yesterday around 4:30 PM. Then we moved into the "Anger" phase last night from about 6:30 PM till about 8:00 AM this morning. Now we're bargaining ("Maybe this Mazzone isn't so bad," "Had we had him this year, we'd have won 11 games....", etc.)

I predict by noon today, we'll all be rejoicing that we somehow landed Noel Mazzone!

One thing is certain about A&M football. It will disappoint you, and after a few years of disappointment, it will hook you once again with the hopes of better days ahead. We will no doubt be disappointed again, but it may take a year or two.

I've now gone through this with RC, Fran, Sherm, Sumlin, etc. I think I may have lost my taste for A&M football.

When you're surrounded by three teams that have won national championships (OU, Horns, LSU) and surrounded by several teams that have at least played on New Years and have shown themselves capable of competing (Baylor, TCU, UofH), and we can't seem to sniff any semblance of anything close to the success of these other programs (despite an overwhelming resource advantage in many cases), it speaks volumes about our school and those that make the decisions.

Unfortunately very true. We'll always have Johnnys bowl wins
jackie childs
I don't think he liked getting paid less than the recruits
E.KingTrill
Tell 'em about it, Jo Jo.

Kentatm
RightWingConspirator said:

Meximan
JTrainsBabyCousin
Kentatm said:

MaroonStain
AG
It's not like we need more motivation versus LSU but I will take it: Mazzone v. Orgeron.

Break the CGD and LSU streak in the same year?
DallasAg 94
Poor me...

It isn't like we aren't scoring points:
31, 29, 45, 24, 45

Or like we aren't winning.

It isn't like we aren't supposed to have one of the legendary DCs in College.

I'll let you in on another secret... UCLA fired him from being OC.

I'm sure at 3-3, and scoring 24, 42 (UNLV), 17, 13, 45 & 20 points... they'd lovve to have Mazzone back.

With the same QB (who was a true Freshman, last year)... Mazzone saw:
34, 37, 24, 56, 23, 35, 40, 35, 41, 27, 17, 21, 29

Enjoy the ride...
TxAg76
AG
Fired from UCLA? LOL
BigRed12
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Poor me...

31, 29, 45, 24, 45

I'm sure at 3-3, and scoring 24, 42 (UNLV), 17, 13, 45 & 20 points... they'd lovve to have Mazzone back.

Enjoy the ride...

What?
rbcs_2
AG
He wasn't fired from UCLA.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
BigRed12 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Poor me...

31, 29, 45, 24, 45

Enjoy the ride...

What?

Jack Cheese
AG
RightWingConspirator said:

I'm sure this dewsh is back on the bandwagon.... Where he'll be until the Ags drop a game. Good Lord.
_mpaul
AG
"Six month earlier, Mazzone had left his job running the North Carolina State offense to take the job of running the Ole Miss offense. Seeing his former team on TV he snorted and said, loudly enough for journalists to overhear, 'Should have stayed there, at least they had some players.'"

In the Egg Bowl, "Noel Mazzone was demonstrating how little could be achieved by a coach who did not admit any role for imagination. The next five times Ole Miss had the ball Mazzone used the opportunity to prove that his slow, fifth-string running back couldn't run through a giant pile of bodies in the middle of the field. Once the Ole Miss offense faced third and long, as it invariably did, everyone in the stadium knew a pass was coming. There was nothing for the Ole Miss quarterback to do but drop back and wait to be buried under the Mississippi State blitz. Most of the time, just before he was crushed, he managed to throw an incomplete pass or an interception."

In Mazzone, "Ole Miss not only lacked a smart strategist: it lacked a coach who understood the importance of strategy."

"Leigh Anne [Tuohy] already told Coach O that if Noel Mazzone and [OL coach] George DeLeone returned to run the Ole Miss offense for one more year, Michael [Oher] would not--and the two coaches were almost sure to be gone after this game."

- Michael Lewis, The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.