Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

1988 Dallas Carter

15,695 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by wbt5845
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/07/heres-the-preview-for-the-movie-on-carter-high-schools-1988-football-team.html/

I remember that team and I'm sure a lot of us remember them from "Friday Night Lights".

What's the historical accuracy here? Being from DeSoto, I always assumed they were guilty and would do anything to win. Felt great crushing them in the '93 playoffs...largest crowd I've ever seen at a high school game.

AFB related - GHT and Darren Lewis
Red McCombs
What position did you play when you "crushed" them?
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Easiest things to remember are that Permian recruited players and Carter had awesome thugs. Both were amoral; one was illegal. Any film that doesn't show that is inaccurate.
Quito
AG
quote:
What position did you play when you "crushed" them?

52-27 is "crushed" worthy.

I did not play football, played baseball, but pretty sure people say "we" when talking about their school.
wbt5845
AG
I went to Bishop Dunne and knew Greg Hill when he played there.

1988 Carter gets a bad rap because of how they were portrayed in the FNL movie. Yeah, they recruited. Yeah, they probably skirted grade issues with kids. Of course, it was a different time then and everything Carter did was not all that different from what everyone else did (and continues to do - that's you I'm looking at Aledo, Allen, etc).

In addition, that team was arguably the best high school team ever - 15 seniors on that team signed D1 LOI's - 28 kids total off that team were D1 players. 5 NFL players off that team. Just damn.
Post removed:
by user
wbt5845
AG
quote:
Was that the time frame/year they beat Marshall in the Semi's in Waco ???
Quarterfinals - 22-18, then beat Permian then Converse Judson to win State.
gambochaman
AG
quote:
15 seniors on that team signed D1 LOI's

yeah but how many of those were to the aggies? gdamn it we suck
DCC99
AG
Oscar worthy, I tell ya.
Post removed:
by user
aggiebrad94
AG
I was there with my family (Dad was '51 or '52 Marshall High). One of the best I have ever seen. Jesse Armstead was a beast.
Capt. America
AG
GO MOJO.
wbt5845
AG
A few plays from that Marshall game are in this video:

and it's always a good day when Permian loses, no matter who they're playing!
Mark Fairchild
AG
Absolutely! Hawaii Five O!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Mark Fairchild
AG
No way!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
J-Licious
AG
quote:
The Carter/Marshall game in Waco was one of the most exciting games I have ever seen in Texas HS Football.

Coppell/Trinity a few years back was one of the greatest for me -- touchdown on the last play between two teams trading punches...
ntxVol
quote:
I went to Bishop Dunne and knew Greg Hill when he played there.

1988 Carter gets a bad rap because of how they were portrayed in the FNL movie. Yeah, they recruited. Yeah, they probably skirted grade issues with kids. Of course, it was a different time then and everything Carter did was not all that different from what everyone else did (and continues to do - that's you I'm looking at Aledo, Allen, etc).

In addition, that team was arguably the best high school team ever - 15 seniors on that team signed D1 LOI's - 28 kids total off that team were D1 players. 5 NFL players off that team. Just damn.

Haha, 11 players went to prison for armed robbery, a bunch of thugs if you ask me, but let's all focus on their athletic acumen since this is a football board.
BoxingAg84

BoxingAg84

MaroonMachine
Hardly the best HS team ever in Texas by margin of deafeat and W/L record.
wbt5845
AG
quote:
Hardly the best HS team ever in Texas by margin of deafeat and W/L record.

They were 14-0-1. And you can't compare margin of victories from pre spread offense years to now.
Windy City Ag
AG
I was in eighth grade that year, and I can remember the excitement over that squad as clear as day. Of all the crazy things I can recall, I remember Derric Evans signing his LOI to the Tennesse Vols from a hot tub while wearing a ton of gold bling and some sort of spandex body suit.

Windy City Ag
AG

wbt5845
AG
Derrick Evans was a hoot.

Q: "What makes this team so good?"
A: "Me"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.