Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

What do we call the new lake at Spence Park?

18,614 Views | 109 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TXAGBQ76
txsportsman10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Aeration or water inflow is critical if you want it to support a food web ...
Fountains are not.

That picture looks cheap and I really hope that we go in a different direction.
Food web?
Its a freaking detention pond. I'm all for making it look nice, but this is an engineered structure to hold back storm water flows first and foremost

Actually, no.

A detention pond is a structure built that controls storm water flow, and outside of rain events is typically a dry structure. Some hold water annually, but are designed with enough freeboard to operate as designed during storm events. What is proposed at Spence is not a structure that will be designed to mitigate storm flows.

This is an ornamental water feature - it will have water in it full time, and as such will need a feature like a fountain to circulate and aerate water to prevent stagnation. Any benefit for aquatic life resulting from circulation and aeration is likely just a side benefit. Same as the water fountain found at the front of almost every single development built these days - it's for looks, and pretty much nothing else.

It still could be a retention pond. A detention pond is typically dry except when it's filled with storm water or river overflow. A retention pond maintains a body of water year round and is also used to control runoff from storm water. Detention=ugly, retention=possible year round water feature.

A retention pond with aeration is basically the opposite of what the original argument stated.

Admit defeat and move on.

Moreover ... If it isn't lined then it will absolutely support a food web.

I say again, I'm putting bass and bluegill in that mfer as soon as it's ready
TheCougarHunter
AG
Fitzwillys Texas Hall of Fame Lake
Burrus86
AG
The Snake Pit...stocked with angry water moccasins.
Cromagnum
AG
Tooooooooooombs Lagooooooooooooon
Agit8r
AG
Lake Skeeter Breeder.
TXAGBQ76
AG
Lake Whiney?
Lake *****alot?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.