Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

*****SpreadsheetAg's Depth Chart*****

15,071 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by SpreadsheetAg
hunter2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Courtesy of GBH
JeffHamilton82
Not the oline we had 3 years ago, mostly because we had 2 of the best OT ever and our lack of good corners is going to hurt. The rest of the team looks good, if we can stay away from the injury bug.
TheBestDammit12
AG
More like VisioAg, amirite?
DallasAg 94
I thought Hall and Garrett played the same role and didn't think they were on the field together much?!

Having AJ Hilliard, Walker and Alaka at LB... having Watts in the 2ndary... I like how the defense is looking...
agdad50
S
Do not be surprised if Sutherland gets a shot. My sources say he has really done well.
hunter2012
AG
We only have 2 Sr starters on each side of the ball...

We're also 4 deep at DT in both spots, depth is definitely getting there.
gig_em02
So Brandon moved to the defensive side of the ball to be a 3rd string corner?
The Collective
AG
quote:
I thought Hall and Garrett played the same role and didn't think they were on the field together much?!

Two points (I'm sure oversimplified):
1) Hall is now bigger and can handle SDE.
2) Chavis has a much bigger focus on getting speed on the field, so he wants both ends to be pass rushers.

The DL is really going to be a nice change. I think fans will prefer Chavis' style, particularly on the DL.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
He'll see more play in the nickel or dime packages covering the 3rd/4th recievers. We will probably see him a lot in Mustang...
The Collective
AG
quote:

I don't think we can truly rely on spreadsheet's depth chart as definitive, but it's possible BW is 3rd on the RB depth chart... soooo, maybe that's part of it.
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
Not the oline we had 3 years ago, mostly because we had 2 of the best OT ever and our lack of good corners is going to hurt. The rest of the team looks good, if we can stay away from the injury bug.

I think the o line will surprise people. Lets hope good d line play allows for the same to be said about the corners
Bachelor99
AG
quote:
quote:

I think the o line will surprise people. Lets hope good d line play allows for the same to be said about the corners

Yup agreed....it's not looking good when devante harris is ur best corner...
d78230
AG
We definitely need to get a couple top notch cbs. If we can't get a couple this year, we need to fire the db coach. Not being able to bring in any cbs certainly won't be chavis' fault.
SpreadsheetAg
AG

quote:
The readable version: (click to enlarge)

Updated based on feedback and the Official SEC-Media Days Depth Chart:

hunter2012
AG
Updated, Spreadsheet.
DallasAg 94
quote:
quote:

Two points (I'm sure oversimplified):
1) Hall is now bigger and can handle SDE.
2) Chavis has a much bigger focus on getting speed on the field, so he wants both ends to be pass rushers.

The DL is really going to be a nice change. I think fans will prefer Chavis' style, particularly on the DL.
I like his style. I like the idea of both on the field.

I think that allows us to drop one back in coverage if needed, and blitz a LB or CB.
BMX Bandit
I do not think there is going to be a battle for starting quarterback.

Does anyone really think that Murray will start Game 1?
I don't think chavis will use the boundary / field corner terminology given the way he uses them.
Turk Turkleton
AG
quote:
We definitely need to get a couple top notch cbs. If we can't get a couple this year, we need to fire the db coach. Not being able to bring in any cbs certainly won't be chavis' fault.
Our coaches recruit by regions, not necessarily by position. But you go ahead and keep calling for coaches' heads after one year on the job if it makes you feel better.
Stasco
AG
Victor Davis should really be starting over Harris. Or even Garner.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
quote:
Victor Davis should really be starting over Harris. Or even Garner.

Based on what? He seemed to continually let guys run right past him and didn't seem to have the speed to make it up.

The biggest problem with Harris was all the damn unnecessary penalties. You knew if he came up waving his arms making the 'incomplete' signal that the flag was coming.
Post removed:
by user
PharmD4
AG
Shawn Washington needs to be on the field. Not sure where and over who, but he's too talented not be.
Captain Awesome
LB situation has me looking for a dog. Any injuries and we are hurting.
alton70
AG
Thinking Hillard, Alaka and Washington are the starters at LB. With Hillard in the middle.
MidTnAg
AG
We may have around 15 underclassmen playing in the two-deep defense.
Great for the future. Not so great for the present.
BowhunterAg83
AG
DL looks good.

Lb is very thin.

Good cb's are thinner.

Safeties look good.

We need to sack the qb in two seconds so Harris won't get beat deep.

We just need to score 42 points a game!
DallasAg 94
quote:
That DL will make the LBs and Secondary look good.
If you haven't seen this, it is pretty good.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/5/15/5709380/lsu-defense-john-chavis-spread-offenses

The defense is based on DBs being able to cover distance quickly and change direction. 2 Seconds.

Look at the "Sports Science" video. In 2 secs, the idea is to have your DBs cover between 15-20 yards.

Think about that.

With Garrett AND Hall on the pass rush at the same time... one of them getting to and disrupting the QB will be quick. The time between a QB taking a 3-7 step drop and planting and when Garrett or Hall is getting to him, is the amount of time he'll have to make a decision.

Even if we don't have the DB personnel with the necessary speed, have Garrett and Hall can make it a little more forgiving.
I know we can rush the passer. But we need to get much better against the run. We gave up 6 yards per rush and 271 rush yards per game in conference last year. That is the biggest reason we were 3-5.
TexAg91
AG
McQueen on scolly now, right?
BowhunterAg83
AG
^ yep
DallasAg 94

I disagree.

We lost 3 of the 5 games (and almost 6) because we couldn't get stops on 3rd down and one because of TOs.

We lost to Ole Miss because we had 3 TOs.
We lost Bama because our QB was hungover and TOP was 36:31 for Bama to 23:29 for A&M.

Miss State was 5-11 on 3rd Down. They went 559 Yards.
Mizzou was 13-21 on 3rd Down and 1-2 on 4th.
LSU was 6-15 and 2-2 on 4th Down. TOP was 41:13 to 18:47. And 2 TOs

That's 27-51 (53%) on 3rd and 4th Down in those 3 Losses.

When you extend a series 50% of the time, it is a killer and we didn't have the depth anywhere on Defense to recover. Time of Possession is a killer for a thin and young defense.

We had guys playing LB'ers because we just didn't have the players.

If Hilliard, Walker and Alaka are healthy... I'm feeling pretty good about our D's ability to stop the run.

If we can get key 3rd down stops early, our Defense will be much better in the 4th Q to stop the run.

If we get up early in points, the run will disapper from the other team.
boboguitar
AG
You know whats nice? Not having a bunch of freshmen as starters on defense as we've had the last 2 years.
Lateralus Ag
AG
Spreadsheet Ag is one of my all time favorite Zoo Inmates and he has contributed more to this board as far as useful and interesting facts and statistics than any other single poster.

Good bull, SA
Emilio Fantastico
AG
quote:
You know whats nice? Not having a bunch of freshmen as starters on defense as we've had the last 2 years.

That is the single biggest reason why I think the defense will be much better this.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.