Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

BOR don't give a S*** about us or Texas A&M

11,066 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by rather be fishing
Goose83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
That's what happens when you let marketing folks run things.
That's why I have never liked Marketing people. No respect for anyone or anything, as they view everyone as marks waiting to be conned. They have way too high of an opinion of themselves, which I always found funny, as in reality they are basically little more than shoe salesmen with a college degree.
BQ87
AG
Here is what I sent - a modified version of Kenneth's letter:

Dear Regents,

I want to voice my concerns about your meddling in affairsthat required no change, or attempting to fix what was not broken. The statement released this morning does not diminish my concern. I do not see the seal of the University, nor that of the TAMU System, as a branding or marketing tool. You even admit this in your statement. "The use of the Texas A&M University seal is reserved for the Office of the President and used in select circumstances." The block TAM is our logo. Logos are for everyday use. We wear them on t-shirts, we paint them on the football field, they're stuck to the bumpers of our vehicles. The seal on the other hand is more reserved. Its use is restricted to official business. It adorns my diploma, and is embossed on an official transcript. The seal has its roots in the Seal of the great State of Texas. It's a shared symbolism, a physical representation of the symbiosis that is shared between the school/system and the state. I know of no school in the country that incorporates their logo in their seal as the seal should be more dignified and timeless, not incorporating a logo designed by a shoe company. I do not see any benefit in "branding" to combine the two. More so, I actually see it as a detriment. It makes Texas A&M look less dignified, less traditional, and very much like a lower-tier institution to use an athletic logo on the university seal.

I am seriously considering ending my financial support to a university that is run by a body that has no regard for the opinions of its students and alumni.

Sincerely,
BQ87
UndergroundAg
WTF is going on in here?!
TelcoAg
AG
quote:
I emailed the association yesterday and informed them that my 2015 contribution would not be sent due to the BOR meddling and attempts to "fix" what was not broken.
Just did the same. Only way to show how much I truly give a **** about this stupidity.
aggiepaintrain
AG
The only thing A&M cares about is money. This is not new info.
1876Authentic
quote:
Lets do something about it.. fight the power.

But seriously though, we should do something.
I have maybe 15 or 20 vintage shirts with he university seal on them. We should go to College Station and march around campus as a group with the shirts on.
TelcoAg
AG
What are we, the salvation army?

If we're doing this, we're calling AO.
Aggies1322
AG
quote:
quote:

I have maybe 15 or 20 vintage shirts with he university seal on them. We should go to College Station and march around campus as a group with the shirts on.

I'm down. We need to make our voices heard. "No T-star, no peace."
Sex Panther
AG
So we'll march day and night by the old clock tower,
They have the seal, but we have the power...

ATX_AG_08
AG
quote:
Seals are not "branding"

They go on Diplomas, we are long sold by then!!!!
TXAGBQ76
AG
"Grave concerns"?
Al Bula
AG
Sadly this likely boils down to big kickbacks to regents somehow.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm down. We need to make our voices heard. "No T-star, no peace."
RadAg14
AG
quote:
Just sent this to the BOR at BOR@tamus.edu

quote:
Dear Regents,
I need to voice my concerns about what I perceive as your meddling in affairs that required no change, or attempting to fix what was not broken. The statement released this morning does not diminish my concern. I do not see the seal of the University, nor that of the TAMU System as a branding or marketing tool. You even admit this in your statement. "The use of the Texas A&M University seal is reserved for the Office of the President and used in select circumstances." The block TAM is our logo. Logos are for everyday use. We wear them on t-shirts, we paint them on the football field, they're stuck to the bumpers of our vehicles. The seal on the other hand is more reserved. It's use is restricted to official business. It adorns my diploma, and is embossed on an official transcript. The T-Star, along with the rest of the seal has its roots in the Seal of the great state of Texas. It's a shared symbolism, a physical representation of the symbiosis that is shared between the school/system and the state. I know of no school in the country that incorporates their logo in their seal. The two items are separate. They have separate function, separate meaning, and entirely separate uses. Contrary to your opinion, there is no benefit in "branding" to combine the two.

I have equally grave concerns about the use of the Texas A&M University logo for the rest of the system. That is MY school's logo. That logo belongs to Texas A&M University and Texas A&M Galveston. Those two institutions are unique, they're special. It does not belong to Prairie View,
Commerce, Tarleton, West Texas, Kingsville, Corpus Christi, Texarkana, Central Texas, San Antonio, nor any of the 7 agencies. The others I've listed are unique as well. I think it's highly inappropriate for their schools to become governed by the logo of another school. Or is this also an attempt by the system to further blur the distinction between A&M and the other system schools? When I tell people that I went to Texas A&M that alone should leave no doubt what campus I'm referring to.

You stuck this item in as item 51on the consent agenda. You felt this change was so trivial it deserved no debate, no discussion, and no vote. Merely approval by consent. This is absolutely unacceptable.

Sincerely,
Kenneth_2003

angus55
Sent my version as well
strbrst777
How in the world this ever come up for consideration by the BOR? Don't mess with the seal! And I agree that "brand" and "branding" are overused and have become annoying buzz words. Let's see: When the diploma has Texas A&M University in bold letters, the new seal for "branding"serves no useful purpose.
DirtyMikesBoys
ATX_AG_08
AG
email sent. Keep the pressure on ags. this is bull****
94chem
It looks like crap, like a Golden Arches on top of the academic building. like "The House that Johnny Built," it looks like a deliberate attempt to embarrass the institution they are supposed to support. I mean, no one culd actually be that stupid, right? It has to be a deliberate act of contempt.
rather be fishing
AG
quote:
Seals are not "branding"

They go on Diplomas, we are long sold by then!!!!
Got the original seal on mine, go kick rocks for everyone from here on.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.