Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Howdy Dammit!!!!

24,244 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by sleepybeagle
BigGameAg07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I say howdy. I'd say it if I wasn't an Aggie. I said it before I was an Aggie. Back when I was in school, there was this corps turd who'd say howdy to me when he passed on they way to class. He'd get PISSED when I trolled him with a 'sup or hey there or hello. I did it all semester long. Great times. Stupid corps turd.
Guy on a Buffalo
AG
I'll "howdy" just about anyone I walk past on a daily basis, and I live in Austin. Most everyone is responsive.

-----------------------
Truth without love is brutality. Love without truth is compromise.
McGibblets
AG
quote:
Back when I was in school,

Here we go again...
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
I swear, olds expect me to say howdy to every person I walk past on game day. If I have a reason to talk to you, I'll say howdy, but there's no way in hell I'm gonna say howdy to the 5,000 people I walk past on game day

Or be like me and run from northside to the msc in full aggie gear including maroon nike turf shoes yelling howdy and whooping the whole time.
Aftermath
AG
Lots of cocky, little dips#it , posts here. They show the lack of respect for a long standing tradition at A&M. So when this kind of tradition is treated as trivial, it appears that there is no longer a difference between tu students and Aggie students..... So don't act as if there is..... We have become the "Default" school for Texas . Same attitude, same kids.
JustisWalkert
AG
Was on campus one day last fall. Walked up and down the quad twice. Not one corp turd even made eye contact. Keepers of tradition? I think not.
Ringo88
AG
Took my "official visit" summer 1984. Two things flipped my commitment from the school down the road.
#1- The view of our campus on the hill at sunrise as my dad and I drove into town.
#2- I'd never met so many friendly people in one place. Seemingly everyone with whom I made eye contact that day offered up a "Howdy". And again, this was during a summer session. It matters, especially to visitors. I hope my kids receive the same welcome in years to come.

Howdy, everyone.
Btron
AG
quote:

Birkenstocks!
The Lost Hondo
AG
Howdy.
Post removed:
by user
TylerAg98
AG
What a shame.....howdy seems to be dead. Wish we kept this tradition, but you have to actually be paying attention to other people instead of having your face buried in your phone for it to work.
Goose
AG
I was in school from 88-92, and we'd say howdy all the time on campus. Unless the girl you were crossing paths with was particularly attractive, then you'd just say hello or hi. I always wondered if the particularly unattractive girls ever knew this (although not enough to ever test the theory). Oh well, good times.
AggieNiebs
AG
quote:
Lots of cocky, little dips#it , posts here. They show the lack of respect for a long standing tradition at A&M. So when this kind of tradition is treated as trivial, it appears that there is no longer a difference between tu students and Aggie students..... So don't act as if there is..... We have become the "Default" school for Texas . Same attitude, same kids.
you have NEVER once said Howdy to me. so get off your high horse.
But in reality, I am sure you have said Hi to someone before in your life. deal with it. If you approve of "howdy Dammit" then you are just as bad as those who you are trying to belittle. say Howdy, or don't. But to expect someone to say it first is ignorant and to demand someone says what you want is egotistical.
Say it and be happy that you said it. stop letting the actions of others control your feelings to certain issues
dangrimm98
AG
I got laid so many times from my instinctual "Howdy" reaction. It really makes a difference.
No Spin Ag
quote:
quote:

Greatness.
eric76
AG
In the mid to late 70's, I heard "Howdy dammit" from time to time on campus.

Every time I ever heard it back then, it was always someone who was ignored when they said "Howdy" to someone else walking outside. I think it was nearly always cadets who were frustrated at seeing the tradition start to slip away.

Do people now skip the initial "Howdy" and proceed directly to "Howdy dammit"? That's just so wrong.
eric76
AG
Goose said:

I was in school from 88-92, and we'd say howdy all the time on campus. Unless the girl you were crossing paths with was particularly attractive, then you'd just say hello or hi. I always wondered if the particularly unattractive girls ever knew this (although not enough to ever test the theory). Oh well, good times.
In the late 1980s, I had to go to Rice from time to time to look up patents at the Government Documents Section in the Library. I was always in suit and tie and as I walked from the parking lot to the library, I would say "Howdy" to everyone I met.

The best reactions to it there usually seemed to be from women past college age -- probably either faculty or staff. Many would brighten noticeably when someone actually noticed them and a surprising number would say "Hi" in return.
greg.w.h
AG
I also was familiar with the "Howdy, damn it" expression in the late 70s and very early 80s. I annoy everyone with Howdy to this day. I'll note especially in Texas some groups respond with "How do you do?", often especially African Americans though not all. This article explains its likely origin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howdy
fightintxaggie10
AG
YO!
VatoLocoAggie
AG
The kids or New Army says "Yo" and it infuriates me to no end. The last time I was on campus I heard less than 5 Howdys and less than 10 Sirs.

Sad realization is that this is slowly becoming a different place than it was when I was here.

The games have rap music more than the FTAB. They drop traditions. The kids spend more time looking at their phones than the play. Football players want to get rid of the Corps and Sully.

No bonfire and no real effort from students to bring it back.

We are becoming like a normal school. I hate it.
redd38
AG
The only time I hear "howdy" on campus these days is when someone wants a group of people to be quiet.

Saying "howdy" to random people died off when the iPod came along. Everyone walks around with headphones in since then.
BDub3
AG
redd38 said:

The only time I hear "howdy" on campus these days is when someone wants a group of people to be quiet.

Saying "howdy" to random people died off when the iPod came along. Everyone walks around with headphones in since then.
I had headphones in so I could ignore the billion people trying to hand me flyers when walking through academic plaza.
samhoustonag
I no longer recognize this university.

Sad to see the things that made A&M unique die.
Reno Hightower
Woke folk don't howdy.
West Point Aggie
AG
samhoustonag said:

Did old people (35+) say the same thing about A&M back...say around 1980?

I mean people used to wear suits and hats (not caps, actual hats) to games...and smoking was rampant and no women in the corps and certainly few blacks. Stuff changes all the time...
eric76
AG
West Point Aggie said:

samhoustonag said:

Did old people (35+) say the same thing about A&M back...say around 1980?

I mean people used to wear suits and hats (not caps, actual hats) to games...and smoking was rampant and no women in the corps and certainly few blacks. Stuff changes all the time...
I remember going to football games as a kid to both high school games and local college games. Unless it was really cold,he wore his best shirt, his best slacks, and a sports jacket. I don't remember if he wore a tie.

These days on the occasion when I go to a game, it is wearing levis, a long sleeved pearl button shirt, a levi jacket, and a cowboy hat (straw or beaver), but not usually a bolo tie (the only kind of tie I've worn in years.
BuffsAg47
AG
Howdy
ftworthag02
AG
I still say howdy to fellow Ags around dfw.
Ag Tag
I prefer to say hidy.
rrtodds
AG
eric76 said:

In the mid to late 70's, I heard "Howdy dammit" from time to time on campus.

Every time I ever heard it back then, it was always someone who was ignored when they said "Howdy" to someone else walking outside. I think it was nearly always cadets who were frustrated at seeing the tradition start to slip away.

Do people now skip the initial "Howdy" and proceed directly to "Howdy dammit"? That's just so wrong.
Nice reboot, 76.

I started to reply to an early post before I realized that it was a post in February.

Talking about few howdies and sirs ... go stand by Sully and you'll get a face full of non howdies and even fewer sirs.

These are troubling times.

Howdy ... damn the revolution, and pass the biscuits, please!
JustisWalkert
AG
I went to the campus several years ago to drop my ring off to get it resized. While there, I walked up and down the quad twice and not one person even made eye contact.
AG
JustisWalkert said:

I went to the campus several years ago to drop my ring off to get it resized. While there, I walked up and down the quad twice and not one person even made eye contact.

Upset you so much you had to post it twice... 4 years apart?

It'll be ok.
eric76
AG
4 said:

JustisWalkert said:

Upset you so much you had to post it twice... 4 years apart?

It'll be ok.
Once in a "talk" section on Wikipedia, I even got into an argument with myself since my views on the subject had changed a bit from three or four years previously. A couple years later, I was reading through that section again and that's when I realized what I had done.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
texag86 said:

Quote:

HOWDY!

Actually it's pronounced " Hoddy " !
BigJim49AustinnowDallas
Magneto
AG
Here is my obligatory post to explain.........again, when your incoming freshman are comprised of folks that are socially awkward and have trouble with English AND there is no family legacy, you get what you get. Traditions fade.......
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.