Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Summy's Finding Out...,

9,987 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Picadillo
bigblackag12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
If only we had a few stud RBs and a star offensive line to run the ball.

Our attempts at running the ball against msu and um were not very successful
wasabi1787
AG
What we actually need is a qb with something at least vaguely resembling accuracy, the ability and willingness to check down, and passion for the game/ an expressed desire to WIN.

I think hill can develop one, maybe two, of these. Unfortunately I don't think the third is a part of his personality.
CactusThomas
AG
Can someone explain when and why Kenny went from being DT to PP?

I have been suprised by the lack of option plays ran for Hill this
season. I certainly expected him to continue to be successful as a DT
and thought that maybe that was part of the reason he won out over
Allen.

Is it a HS vs SEC thing or Sumlin just doesn't ever intend to run zone read or veer style plays?
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
Can someone explain when and why Kenny went from being DT to PP?

I have been suprised by the lack of option plays ran for Hill this
season. I certainly expected him to continue to be successful as a DT
and thought that maybe that was part of the reason he won out over
Allen.

Is it a HS vs SEC thing or Sumlin just doesn't ever intend to run zone read or veer style plays?

It appears that they dont think his running ability is enough of a plus to nullify the negative risk of injury? Just a wild, speculative guess
big papi
AG
Dual threat is not as necessary as you think. You just have to take advantage of the weaknesses in a defense's schemes. Teams are always running nickel against our 4 wide receiver sets, having 6 men in the box against 5 blockers. Unless the Rb can make him miss, we will usually be at a disadvantage running the ball and get only 0-3 yards a pop against good SEC competition. (Unless we have a tight end in the game, which is rare....)

What I was led to believe with our wide receiver recruiting, is that we would have 4 world-beaters out there creating havoc in one-on-one's and preying on linebackers/safeties. In that case we would see more 3-2-6 or dime looks in order to help contain that, making the running game more advantageous for us. But that apparently isn't the case as much as we would like to think.

Add the fact that you need a very accurate quarterback to wheel and deal DOWN THE FIELD, and have solid o-line play.

TL: DR - shouldn't be that hard to recognize why we struggle against the best defenses in the nation. We don't create a lot of disadvantages in the secondary and can't exploit them when we do
CrottyKid
AG
If you are going to be a statue, you have to get the ball out quick and on target.

If you are mobile, accuracy is not as important.
94DallasAG
AG
quote:

quote:
Summy's Finding Out...,....that he really needs a true dual threat QB to have success in the SEC with his offense...

"Hello?"
Artorias
AG
quote:
quote:

Not true. Our RBs averaged 6+ yards per carry against MSU, yet they only had a combined 19 carries, versus 62 pass attempts.

As for OM, it was more due to horrid playcalling than the ability of our RBs or Oline to run north/south. Running Carson sweeps multiple times against one of the fastest defenses in the nation is moronic.
FriendlyAg
I think yall are just spoiled. This is KH first season as a starter. Last time we started an underclassmen quarterback we won a Heisman so yall assume that will always be the case. When will yall truly realize Johnny's greatness?
FriendlyAg
quote:
Dual threat is not as necessary as you think. You just have to take advantage of the weaknesses in a defense's schemes. Teams are always running nickel against our 4 wide receiver sets, having 6 men in the box against 5 blockers. Unless the Rb can make him miss, we will usually be at a disadvantage running the ball and get only 0-3 yards a pop against good SEC competition. (Unless we have a tight end in the game, which is rare....)

What I was led to believe with our wide receiver recruiting, is that we would have 4 world-beaters out there creating havoc in one-on-one's and preying on linebackers/safeties. In that case we would see more 3-2-6 or dime looks in order to help contain that, making the running game more advantageous for us. But that apparently isn't the case as much as we would like to think.

Add the fact that you need a very accurate quarterback to wheel and deal DOWN THE FIELD, and have solid o-line play.

TL: DR - shouldn't be that hard to recognize why we struggle against the best defenses in the nation. We don't create a lot of disadvantages in the secondary and can't exploit them when we do

This. I believe Kenny can be that guys he's just not yet.
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not true. Our RBs averaged 6+ yards per carry against MSU, yet they only had a combined 19 carries, versus 62 pass attempts.

As for OM, it was more due to horrid playcalling than the ability of our RBs or Oline to run north/south. Running Carson sweeps multiple times against one of the fastest defenses in the nation is moronic.

If you take away tra's long of 17 and t-wills long of 48 against msu it changes the average. We weren't able to run well consistently. We also were behind big early so running wasnt a priority from early on.

And the play calling against om was not very good, but if those plays are blocked well, they would have been more successful. Sweeping tra is more to keep the defense guessing so they cant be certain were just going to send him up the middle every time and vice versa.
bigblackag12
AG
To add, we didnt sweep carson every play and we didnt dive the williams' every play, and still averaged 2ypc with no big run gains
AGECO95
quote:
I think yall are just spoiled. This is KH first season as a starter. Last time we started an underclassmen quarterback we won a Heisman so yall assume that will always be the case. When will yall truly realize Johnny's greatness?
Not entirely accurate. Top rated air raid coaches like Leach & Briles contually develop good quarterbacks that step up and make an immediate impact.

How many of us were relieved to see KK leave tt, only to see B.J. Symons followed by Graham Harrell slip into Leach's system without missing a beat?

Kenny & Kyle are far more talented and highly rated quarterback's than either KK, Symons or Harrell (at least coming out of high school)...there's simply no excuse for this.

Sumlin has a serious problem at quarterback's coach!
phatbc
All you need is a case keenum. A case freaking keenum.

Let that sink in.
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
quote:
Not entirely accurate. Top rated air raid coaches like Leach & Briles contually develop good quarterbacks that step up and make an immediate impact.

How many of us were relieved to see KK leave tt, only to see B.J. Symons followed by Graham Harrell slip into Leach's system without missing a beat?

Kenny & Kyle are far more talented and highly rated quarterback's than either KK, Symons or Harrell (at least coming out of high school)...there's simply no excuse for this.

Sumlin has a serious problem at quarterback's coach!

Graham harrel threw for a lot of yards when he finally got the start after casey hodges, but they still went 7-5 in his season. He got better as he got older.
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
All you need is a case keenum. A case freaking keenum.

Let that sink in.

What kind of defenses were case keenum going against?
Slwdsm
Our offense hasn't been posing a single threat, much less dual.
90%Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Peyton's not mobile. He sucks.

As evidenced by his lack of championships.

You were being sarcastic. I'm not.

Well, he has exactly one more championship ring than 99% of the guys who have been starting qb's in the NFL.

Won against a team with Rex Grossman as the starter.

Rex Grossman.

File this under "Somebody had to win".
90ags
Dual threat is on the way soon (who's Dad knows a lot about being a QB too).........
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
AGECO95
quote:
Graham harrel threw for a lot of yards when he finally got the start after casey hodges, but they still went 7-5 in his season. He got better as he got older.
Man, I completely forgot about Cody Hodges...another tt quarterback that stepped in and led the nation in passing...one of our most embarrassing losses we ever had to a Leach team.

The point remains that truly good air raid coaches continually develop system quarterbacks that are completely capable of making an immediate and consistent contribution to offensive production.

BTW, Harrell beat out Hodges in '06 (best qb in the country in '05) and had one of the greatest sophomore seasons in NCAA D1 history. tt went 7-5 because of sh*tty defense, not poor quarterback passing, fumbles, interceptions, misreads, etc.
bigblackag12
AG
I see what youre saying man, but they weren't really going against the best of defenses week in and week out either.

quote:
The point remains that truly good air raid coaches continually develop system quarterbacks that are completely capable of making an immediate and consistent contribution to offensive production.

And that happens a lot but it isnt necessarily true in all regards, not every successor has been completely capable of immediate and consistent production.
AGECO95
quote:
I see what youre saying man, but they weren't really going against the best of defenses week in and week out either.
Agreed

quote:
And that happens a lot but it isnt necessarily true in all regards, not every successor has been completely capable of immediate and consistent production.
I'm a big believer in Kevin Sumlin and perhaps I've been hitting the maroon Kool-Aid a little too hard, but I still feel he's the right man for the job and will find a solution.

That being said, we're still paying the man roughly double what Leach (godfather of the air raid) was making at tt...expectations for KDS remain understandably high.
bigblackag12
AG
Realistic expectations
Dave Knesek
Except our problem is that Kenny Hill isn't a polished passer, especially when it comes to sticking the medium and long timing route. We went 8-4 last year with the best running QB I've ever seen - it must not be that magic.

Another 20 or 30 yards per game of rushing out of Kenny Hill isn't going to fix this offense, consistently "sticking" a 20 yard dig on 3rd-and-14 will!
revvie
AG
My question is this.... in an offensive system there is always reads and check downs. Are defenses giving certain looks knowing what the read and check down will be. The thing with JFF was he made stuff up on the fly. Kenny needs to recognize the disguises better.
bigblackag12
AG
quote:
My question is this.... in an offensive system there is always reads and check downs. Are defenses giving certain looks knowing what the read and check down will be. The thing with JFF was he made stuff up on the fly. Kenny needs to recognize the disguises better.

That last part comes with more game experience
Tamu_mgm
AG
Sumlin doesn't NEED a dual-threat QB to run his offense in this league effectively. He needs an accurate QB in short, intermediate, and deep balls to be successful in this league with his offense. Sure the "true" dual-threat QB adds another dimension, and a deadly one at that, but let's stop pretending like all of a sudden Sumlin's offense is a failure now in the SEC because we have struggled against some solid (and older) teams.

Our problems are pretty clear:

- Kenny is a first year starting QB (needs to work on decision making and accuracy)
- OL took a step back especially with Cheek out
- Receivers are young

Kenny is mobile enough to be an effective dual-threat, he just needs to continue to grow in his throwing on the run (which is already pretty decent) and making decisions when the play breaks down. Also, as Kenny gets better that only benefits our running game. Then we are looking at a much more efficient offense, and all these silly claims about this offense not working in the SEC without JFF or a "true" dual-threat QB can die as they should.
agsteve77
AG
I don't think anyone would consider Keenum a dual threat. But he could thread a needle.

revvie
AG
Consistent accuracy is an issue. So is consistent receiver hands.
d78230
AG
Every team benefits from a dual threat qb.
Picadillo
Speedy
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.