Story Poster
Photo by Matt Sachs, TexAgs
Texas A&M Football

Stansbury leaves team, A&M confirms; Davis suspended

July 21, 2014

Texas A&M senior defensive lineman Gavin Stansbury was arrested earlier this offseason on Class A misdemeanor assault charges based on an incident in the Rice area of Houston, casting his status on the 2014 team into question with the outcome of a trial still to come.

Meanwhile, on Saturday news broke that Aggie redshirt freshman defensive back Victor Davis was reportedly arrested in his hometown of Rosenberg, Texas, on suspicion of shoplifting.

On Monday the Texas A&M athletic department issued a statement announcing that Stansbury had left the team for "personal reasons" and serving as the first official confirmation of Davis' arrest. Below is the AD press release:

COLLEGE STATION, Texas
— Texas A&M defensive lineman Gavin Stansbury has left the team to attend to personal matters, head football coach Kevin Sumlin announced Monday.

Stansbury, a 6-4, 257-pound senior from Franklin, La., played in 10 games a year ago, recording 47 total tackles and three sacks. As a sophomore in 2012, he saw action in 11 games and recorded nine tackles with seven assists and a forced fumble.

“While we will miss Gavin being a part of our program, there is more to life than football,” Sumlin said. “We wish him the best as he focuses on the personal issues ahead of him.”

Sumlin also confirmed the arrest of defensive back Victor Davis, a 6-0, 194-pound freshman from Rosenburg, Texas, on a shoplifting charge in his hometown recently. He is suspended from athletic participation per athletics department policy.

The Aggies report for camp on July 31. Texas A&M opens the 2014 season Aug. 28 at South Carolina in the first game broadcast on the SEC Network.

Discussion from...

13,857 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AgBank
Beau Holder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JeffHamilton82
Did Winston (FSU) get suspended for his theft?
YankAg13
AG
He did from baseball. That's why all our defensive players should play a secondary sport.
ArchAg10
AG
If I recall correctly, he was suspended for 2 baseball practices, and forced to do 75 hours of community service, which he completed in two days... I'm beginning to think they don't teach math in Tallahassee...
JeffHamilton82
After learning more we should suspend Davis for the entire month of July!
Bradh
When you find out deshawn hall is taking your job as a senior, personal reasons begin to develop
98WFSCAG
AG
Bradh is a smart man. I only speculate but with Hall being 265 or so and Garrett being on campus...makes sense. Obioha backs up hall and we find someone to back up Garrett.

[This message has been edited by 98wfscag (edited 7/22/2014 9:41a).]
BroncoJohnson
AG
I have been wondering for the past several weeks how he was listed above Daeshon freaking Hall. Hall has NFL potential and I'm not talking late round pick, I'm talking somewhere in between Von Miller and Damontre Moore.

I'll be a happy man seeing two young animals in Garrett and Hall go after quarterbacks. Hopefully in a year Jefferson can join the mix.
AgBeliever
AG
Wow. Hall is 265 now?
SEC Champs
AG
^ Yup. Reported earlier this month, I believe. We'll have lots of talent, but I'm concerned with our depth.
. . .
SwigAg11
AG
Had he already graduated? Cause I don't see how he would be eligible.
AgBank
AG
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-aggies/20140730-report-ex-texas-am-defensive-end-gavin-stansbury-to-transfer-to-houston.ece

Maybe the Rice girl was correct, maybe he was trying to transfer there.

J/K, obviously I don't subscribe to the B/s the rice students were saying. He is innocent.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.