Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

The new Kyle Field- weekly pictures

2,161,568 Views | 5140 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
spanky
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How do the revs see through the soil?
rally-cap
AG
quote:
Are the vertical spotlights on top of the activation towers still in the plans?
Last I heard (back in October or November of last year) they were having issues creating a Maroon light that would be perceivable when projected skywards. Red is easy to make, but the Maroon was giving them issues.

Obviously LED technology allows virtually any color imaginable to be created, but I think the issue lies in the projection of the color.
torrid
AG
So can anyone in the know explain what is going on with the field? I'll offer my own speculation, seems to be a popular thing to do.

I'm very curious about the black material they have spread across the playing surface. If I had to guess, it is some kind of moisture barrier. It looks like there are a series of irrigation pipes on top of it, radiating out from the north endzone.

They are currently bringing more dirt in, which I assume will be built up a few inches over the black material. Then after that, grass?
chipotle
quote:
How do the revs see through the soil?

Yeah, and they're dead too. How can they know what's going on? I'll hang up and listen.
McGibblets
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Have we discussed the scoreboard for the Revs? Is there going to be a small one like old Kyle? Where would they put it?

A lot of people care ... It's a really cool thing.

For a long time a cadet would sit on that side of the stadium and write the score on a chalk board for the fallen Rev's so they could know the score.

If you don't see the beauty in that then you aren't an Aggie.

I honestly didn't realize anyone over the age of 12 gave a **** about this. And if you want to go as far as to say that I'm not an Aggie because I don't care about a score board for a bunch of dead mascots, that in all reality acts as a way for the drunks walking in 45 minutes late to check the score, I'd say you're flat out wrong. And I'm sure plenty of people here will back me up. I can't even imagine how many hours I've spent taking photos of the redevelopment and posting them here for other Aggies to look at because I know how much this stadium and school means to me, as well as everyone else who posts here. If you like the scoreboard for the revs, great. But if you wanna say I'm not an Aggie because I don't care about a scoreboard for dead mascots, we're gonna have to differ there
Fitch
AG
quote:
quote:
Last I heard (back in October or November of last year) they were having issues creating a Maroon light that would be perceivable when projected skywards. Red is easy to make, but the Maroon was giving them issues.

Obviously LED technology allows virtually any color imaginable to be created, but I think the issue lies in the projection of the color.

There was a prolonged discussion on tech premium construction photos thread about getting the color right. So far as I'm aware the lights have been reviewed by the FAA but haven't been funded. They remain an item that can be added at a later point...hopefully sooner than later because they are one of my favorite proposed features.
Drake aTm
AG
Tradition tradition tradition. That's what it's all about!
Hewey Calloway
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Have we discussed the scoreboard for the Revs? Is there going to be a small one like old Kyle? Where would they put it?

For a long time a cadet would sit on that side of the stadium and write the score on a chalk board for the fallen Rev's so they could know the score.

I honestly didn't realize anyone over the age of 12 gave a **** about this. And if you want to go as far as to say that I'm not an Aggie because I don't care about a score board for a bunch of dead mascots, that in all reality acts as a way for the drunks walking in 45 minutes late to check the score, I'd say you're flat out wrong. And I'm sure plenty of people here will back me up. I can't even imagine how many hours I've spent taking photos of the redevelopment and posting them here for other Aggies to look at because I know how much this stadium and school means to me, as well as everyone else who posts here. If you like the scoreboard for the revs, great. But if you wanna say I'm not an Aggie because I don't care about a scoreboard for dead mascots, we're gonna have to differ there

Im pretty sure you only took the pictures because you liked the attention and don't have anything better to do.
bgrimm05
AG
quote:
I'm very curious about the black material they have spread across the playing surface. If I had to guess, it is some kind of moisture barrier.
It's filter fabric.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
quote:
So can anyone in the know explain what is going on with the field? I'll offer my own speculation, seems to be a popular thing to do.

I'm very curious about the black material they have spread across the playing surface. If I had to guess, it is some kind of moisture barrier. It looks like there are a series of irrigation pipes on top of it, radiating out from the north endzone.

They are currently bringing more dirt in, which I assume will be built up a few inches over the black material. Then after that, grass?

http://www.airfieldsystems.com/

They also did Ellis Field (soccer stadium).
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Im pretty sure you only took the pictures because you liked the attention and don't have anything better to do.

torrid
AG
OK, so it's to keep the dirt from clogging up the elaborate drainage system that was installed. Does look like there is a moisture barrier, just further down. Definitely should avoid a repeat of the Rice game last year.

Thanks for posting the info.

We now return to regular programming.
BoxingAg84
rcb05
AG
Disjointed seating at Ohio State is pretty embarrassing IMO.

hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:

http://www.airfieldsystems.com/

They also did Ellis Field (soccer stadium).

I've sat on Ellis' grass, it's the nicest field setup I've ever seen/felt.
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:

ohio state is embarrassing IMO
8T2
Not as embarrassing as Penn State...

St Hedwig Aggie
AG
State Penn is embarrassing for so many other reasons than the stadium...though that giant erector set is ugly!
MarathonAg03
AG
quote:

Which is worse: so-called disjointedness or bad sight lines?
a1pilot
AG
Worse would be no gaps for the breeze to circulate. I've been to stadiums without airflow and they can be no fun at all. Form over function for me Ags.
a1pilot
AG
... or is that function over form
Fitch
AG
If you look at one of the "oddities", the gap in the second deck west and the Zone club, there's a hole that opens into the NW tower. That's going to allow a good breeze through and the last rays of the setting sun to hit the field. Should be a nice little win.
LouisHerbertWong
AG
^^^ Hopefuly this is the year we get a few nice little wins at home.
TyHolden
AG
Why can't revs see from heaven?
Fitch
AG

cp2011
AG
gr8n8
AG
Welcome to Aggieland on the West Side.
(zoom in)

Are Italics the new bevel?
Kceovaisnt-
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

There was a prolonged discussion on tech premium construction photos thread about getting the color right. So far as I'm aware the lights have been reviewed by the FAA but haven't been funded. They remain an item that can be added at a later point...hopefully sooner than later because they are one of my favorite proposed features.

Perhaps they should just project white light. It's easily done and it just so happens to be our other school color. Send those up luxor style from each tower. I would be just as happy with that.

Just to add my thought on the lack of symmetry or disjointedness, of the few rather symmetrical stadia, I am not impressed with a single one of them. Most are the old school bowls. I cannot speak for everyone but I am not a fan of the rose bowl. Looks great from a blimp when full and thats about it. No visual impact from the exterior, really does not tower over the field, and I assume the higher rows view is terrible. Kyle Field was level with the exterior grade up until a year ago when they dropped it slightly to allow more rows. The structure is iconicly in your face when you drive into town from every angle. As for the interior, I think the stadium looks awesome and imposing. If you cannot stand watching games from a less than symetrical continuous stadium, I suggest you start watching soccer instead.
tbirdspur2010
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Perhaps they should just project white light. It's easily done and it just so happens to be our other school color. Send those up luxor style from each tower. I would be just as happy with that.

Just to add my thought on the lack of symmetry or disjointedness, of the few rather symmetrical stadia, I am not impressed with a single one of them. Most are the old school bowls. I cannot speak for everyone but I am not a fan of the rose bowl. Looks great from a blimp when full and thats about it. No visual impact from the exterior, really does not tower over the field, and I assume the higher rows view is terrible. Kyle Field was level with the exterior grade up until a year ago when they dropped it slightly to allow more rows. The structure is iconicly in your face when you drive into town from every angle. As for the interior, I think the stadium looks awesome and imposing. If you cannot stand watching games from a less than symetrical continuous stadium, I suggest you start watching soccer instead.
So well said.
mpaggie06
AG
Are we going to be putting solar panels on the top of the awnings so we can get some of them federal gubment subsidies? Might coulda paid for the whole thing AND brought down Barry O'Bama as special guest for game 1...win-win, AMIRITE.
Citizen Reign
quote:
Welcome to Aggieland on the West Side.
(zoom in)

Are Italics the new bevel?

Yes.

The aisles are italicized too.
spanky
AG
gr8n8
AG
quote:

Thank you for this picture! The angle of that awning (or whatever it is) made it the letters look italicized to me. But now I see clearly they are not. Thanks Spanky.
RINO Safari
AG
quote:

wears da pond at???
Drake aTm
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 126 of 147

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.