Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

How does one stop drinking the Kool-aid?

3,762 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by aggiesundevil4
Midnight Rider
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can't help it. Every year I say I'm not going to do it, and then I do it.

Is there a support group for this kinda thing?

I do love my Aggies, though.

*sigh*

If I don't get professional help, I know I'll drink deeply again next year. And the next.

At some point, the law of averages has got to kick in, right?

[See I'm already making excuses as to why I will drink again.]
7thGenTexan
AG
I was drinking it this year and I rarely do. It's been replaced with Jack Daniel's.
Diet Cokehead
AG
I just don't get as emotionally invested. I don't read as much leading up to the season and just don't have a lot of expectations. I'm only 32, but I've been going to Aggie games since I was too young to remember. After a while, you being to realize that we are almost cursed and it doesn't make sense to put as much emotionally into it.

I still enjoy the games and was excited in the 1st half, but the devastation isn't nearly as bad as it used to be when I was younger.
superunknown
AG
Does the athletic department/administration do what it takes to win championships? Or do they do what it takes to keep the money flowing and make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy and maroon inside?

Once I answered that for myself, it became easier to not drink the Kool-Aid.
MaroonForever10
AG
I threw up my kool aid in the second half.
Midnight Rider
AG
quote:
I threw up my kool aid in the second half.

Made me laugh. Thanks. I feel better now.
outofstateaggie
AG
12 step plan
AR15Bubba
AG
Order the Jim Jones limited edition flavor
Aggie
AG
What cokehead said.
I just don't invest as much emotionally as I used to.
In the 1990s was my peak investment. The cotton bowl losses, 1995 Colorado and Texas games were big time kicks to the gut.
Quit investing so much in RC final few years and quit drinking the koolaide for good during the Fran era.
I still remember the game I swore I would never drink the koolaide ever again.. Sitting at the orange bowl starting at the scoreboard, Miami 34 Texas A&M 17.
That was it for me
xfactor91
I think we are almost as good as any team in the 1990s. Give them some time to work out kinks.
Hoyt Ag
AG
quote:
What cokehead said.
In the 1990s was my peak investment. The cotton bowl losses, 1995 Colorado and Texas games were big time kicks to the gut.
Quit investing so much in RC final few years and quit drinking the koolaide for good during the Fran era.
I still remember the game I swore I would never drink the koolaide ever again.. Sitting at the orange bowl starting at the scoreboard, Miami 34 Texas A&M 17.
That was it for me

Same here. I was at that bowl game and haven't looked back. Since then, nothing has shown me we are ready to turn the corner.
Diet Cokehead
AG
Damn Aggie, you and I were damn near on the same path to Kool-Aid addiction recovery.

Nothing was ever the same for me after that Colorado loss, but I did have a little binge session when we stole Fran from 'Bama. 77-0, the loss at Clemson when Fran didn't go for 2, and almost having a heart attack when we almost lost to Army all culminated in me realizing I will never drink like that again.
AGinHI
AG
It began in '95 vs. Colorado.

It's become comical.

It's hard to not feel like disaster is going to strike after experiencing 16 years of failure, for what seems to be, the majority of big games.

I remember going up to BYU in '96 and there was the feeling we finally had a good offense, we finally had a complete team - then BAM! lost 41-37

It's just how it is.
Diet Cokehead
AG
What's sad is that I was 15 when that Colorado debacle occurred. I was 10x the Aggie fan than I am today way before I ever sat foot on campus as a student.

After you get kicked in the nuts over and over again, it's just not worth it.

[This message has been edited by Diet Cokehead (edited 9/8/2012 7:53p).]
Stat Monitor Repairman

'Herbal potion' is the new Kool-Aid.
AG
AGinHI said:

It began long before that, my BRO
The Porkchop Express
AGinHI said:

It's become comical.

It's hard to not feel like disaster is going to strike after experiencing 16 years of failure, for what seems to be, the majority of big games.

I remember going up to BYU in '96 and there was the feeling we finally had a good offense, we finally had a complete team - then BAM! lost 41-37

It's just how it is.
I was at both those games. I think we were up 23-6 vs .BYU when the rails came off. Sarkisian threw for 43,000 yards on us.
BSCE84ag
AG
Jimbo last year finished me off. No more Kool-Aid for me.
greg.w.h
AG
One stops drinking one sip at a time.
HTownAg
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

AGinHI said:

It's become comical.

It's just how it is.
I was at both those games. I think we were up 23-6 vs .BYU when the rails came off. Sarkisian threw for 43,000 yards on us.
Small world. I attended both as well.
Aquin
AG
My first Aggie game was the infamous "the Bear has to go home to mama". It was on a wet and rainy field at Rice Stadium. As you know, we lost by one point. Can you fathom how much disappointment I have experienced since then. Now I just don't get invested in the team. I enjoy my fellow Aggies but win or lose it is just another game. No expectations.
revvie
AG
Aquin said:

My first Aggie game was the infamous "the Bear has to go home to mama". It was on a wet and rainy field at Rice Stay. As you know, we lost by one point. Can you fathom how much disappointment I have experienced since then. Now I just don't get invested in the team. I enjoy my fellow Aggies but win or lose it is just another game. No expectations.
I don't go back that far, but I have 50+ years drinking the Kool-Aid. You don't quit, but you eventually die though.
The Porkchop Express
HTownAg said:

The Porkchop Express said:

AGinHI said:

It's become comical.

It's just how it is.
Small world. I attended both as well.
The second I saw while on a 3-week road trip after quitting my first job because I hated it so much. My parents were THRILLED.
Tex117
AG
How old are you OP?

For me, by the time I was about 30, I had other things to do with my Saturday than seeing the Aggies lose.

If you are a grown man still power chugging Koolaid, I don't know what to tell you. Just stop it.
Tripacer
Funny, the people in the beginning of this thread are about to have one of the best seasons of their lifetimes.
oldschool87
AG
superunknown said:

Does the athletic department/administration do what it takes to win championships? Or do they do what it takes to keep the money flowing and make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy and maroon inside?

Once I answered that for myself, it became easier to not drink the Kool-Aid.

THE "ATHLETIC" Department...

Has spared no expense! They have dumped 600 million+ into the Stadium. Another 150 million+ in facilities. They went and spent 75 million on what they thought was a top 3 coach in the country. Gave him no cap on Assistants. We have some of the finest football facilities on the planet. Oregon, Bama, Aggies...

Adding or just added more suites to the Stadium
Upgrades to Baseball.
New track stadium
New softball facilities
Complete Swimming complex
Tennis Complex
I am sure to be missing things...

Bit the bullet on 75 million dollars of a contract of a coach not getting it done. Paid millions to bring in new coach, and provided a blank check for assistants. AGAIN...

What exactly, would you like the "Athletic" department to be doing different?

Knew I was forgetting something... We have a bag man also. And he is rather expensive, and that money is not free either!

Divining Rod
Aggie said:

What cokehead said.
That was it for me

thanks for saving me the time! '95 Colirado is seared in my brain.
ElephantRider
AG
Diet Cokehead said:

I just don't get as emotionally invested. I don't read as much leading up to the season and just don't have a lot of expectations. I'm only 32, but I've been going to Aggie games since I was too young to remember. After a while, you being to realize that we are almost cursed and it doesn't make sense to put as much emotionally into it.

I still enjoy the games and was excited in the 1st half, but the devastation isn't nearly as bad as it used to be when I was younger.
This. You just have to accept that legitimate success is never going to happen, and just enjoy it for what it is.
Aggie2
Trev Alberts is going to create a championship culture. Much like he did for Nebraska.
Diet Cokehead
AG
ElephantRider said:

Diet Cokehead said:

This. You just have to accept that legitimate success is never going to happen, and just enjoy it for what it is.
I'm 44 now and nothing has changed!
aggiesundevil4
AG
Aggie fans are just like that andy Samberg movie - we never stop never stopping.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.